MusicAngel

Parents vs Love

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick your Parents or your love, which would it be?

• Parents
    • Love
    • Depends on the situation (If this is your choice, please explain.)

Well, here it is. My parents don't like the guy I like. Well, I guess with how we are inseparable, some would say we act like love birds. We do go out. I'm sure a bunch of you out there reading this are thinking "yeah, who hasn't gone through that?" The problem is they are threatening to kick me out over this. What am I supposed to do? should I leave my boyfriend of 14 months so my parents are happy? Or should I forget about what they say so I can be happy?

HELP!!!!!

Why are they threatening to kick you out over this? I think you need to provide us with a little bit more information. I have never heard of parents wanting to kick their child out because they act like a love bird with somebody else. 

The drug reference in your signature concerns me greatly...

anyway.

How old are you? If you're in your teen years, this "love" you're with probably WON'T still be in your life when your in your 20's.  Sorry. That whole "Disney Romance" thing is rare. Sometimes you meet the love of your life in high school, but you typically DON'T.

However, your parents will ALWAYS love you. And if you're a minor, like Slave of Elyon( Caleb?) said, it's best for you to listen to your parents while you're under their roof.

I'm having trouble seeing as to WHY you'd get kicked out over a boyfriend though...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you're pants know that he's a jerk. I know I know, he couldn't possibly be a jerk because you know him so well and junk. But he probably is. Even if he isn't though, Slave of Elyon is right, as well as Boogles. This interest of yours may not be around in a few years but chances are your parents will be. 

Your parents are older, wiser, more sophisticated in their approach to life and love. And its a tough pill for us headstrong teenagers to swallow, but your parents probably know what they are talking about, often with what seems like little more than a hunch. And they look out for you because they love you and want the best for you. You can play the "its my life, I can do what I want" card all you want, but just ty to see things from their perspective, without "love" clouding that vision.

People should not be so quick to assume parents are always right. I know so many people with really lousy parents who look out for their own well-being rather than that of their kids.

My parents don't like him for other reasons then "he's a jerk". Yeah, he can be, but he makes me smile. He isn't a jerk to me, he is to them because he knows they don't like him and he doesn't care. He wants to make me happy. But It's been 15 months yesterday. We are having problems anyway. I don't know how much longer I can fight this battle between them and him. And yeah I do care about him a lot. But I wouldn't say I love him. He says he does love me. We are almost 17 and 18. His parents don't like me but they aren't holding my personal life against him. They are holding his own actions against him. He is choosing to date someone they don't like. They don't like me because I dated on of his former friends before I dated him. Also, he has gotten in trouble for me. I haven't asked him too, he just does it on a whim. However, my parents see him as a trouble maker and useless so they don't want us together. They have been getting me to leave him since we started going out, he is also my brother's friend and they don't want any of my life to have any effect on his. I'm not a druggie, that was changed by someone I know. I didn't notice it until now. It has been changed to something more suited for me. There is one guy i used to date my parents liked, but we called it quits because we never had time for each other. We are still friends but that's beside the point. 

People should not be so quick to assume parents are always right. I know so many people with really lousy parents who look out for their own well-being rather than that of their kids.

They aren't bad parents, they just are looking out for "how will we look if our daughter isn't dating the guy we want, instead the guy she wants?" 

But, I think I got my answer loud and clear. 

Thanks to all who responded. 

I'm not inclined to argue with a girl about a boyfriend I don't know for the same reason I don't usually hand-feed the raccoons who raid my trash. If you want to wax tragic about your star-crossed lovelife and the poor, misunderstood jerk at its center, then by all means; but I'm not going to play the Lord Capulet for you.

I'm not inclined to argue with a girl about a boyfriend I don't know for the same reason I don't usually hand-feed the raccoons who raid my trash. If you want to wax tragic about your star-crossed lovelife and the poor, misunderstood jerk at its center, then by all means; but I'm not going to play the Lord Capulet for you.

+1 for Shakespeare. 

For me, it depends on the situation. I mean why would your parents be against someone you love if you know yourself that he is worth your love? Why would they tell you to stay away from him if they know that he is a good person? Maybe there is some conflict between them and his parents, and both of you do not have any idea about it. Maybe your parents are just concerned about you. You know how a parent's instincts works. But then, maybe he is a real jerk and you are just manipulating his image in your mind, thinking that he is not or that he could change later on. I know because I had been through that before. And I am afraid to admit that I fell in the latter. 

it would depend...my parents are older than me, and have been a teenager as they tell me allll the time...soooo... i would probly chose my parents unless i knew they were just "your too younging"

In all honesty, it frustrates me when teenagers say "My parents don't know whats best for me. I do." I mean look at it like this, you're less than 20 years old. How old are your parents? 50+? They have way more life experience than you do. Sure, all parents can be strict and unreasonable at times, but that's because they love you and they're trying to protect you. I used to think my parents were stupid and knew nothing, but turns out, they're actually pretty smart.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that your pants know that he's a jerk.

I just realized I said pants instead of parents. I in no way meant to imply that your pants know what's best for you. In fact, if you're talking to your pants about boy troubles, boy troubles may not be your most pressing problem.

Also, Paige is right. Even if your parents don't know what's best for you, you definitely don't. And you really won't for most of your life.

If the guy leaves in the time that it takes for you to grow out from under your parents than he isn't worth it. Take it from a guy who isn't worth it.

Secondly, does "I think I have my answer loud and clear" mean I'm just going to do what I wanted to in the first place? 

Thirdly, intelligence is better than a boyfriend.

Ok, guys, I'm resurrecting this thread and I know it, sorry.

Speaking from experience, the road of choosing boyfriend over parents is a long and hard one fraught with LOTS of heartache. I'm continuing in my path because I know my boyfriend has integrity, is a hard worker, my equal, and is ultimately worth the struggle. We've already worked our way through this far (it's been 4 years, guys!) but marriage is still tooooo far in the distance because I REALLY want my parents' support... yet it's sooo tantalizingly close. 

I said it depends because... let's be honest, I can't say I disagree with my choices. I'm happy where I am. However, if you really don't think you love him, he's a jerk to other people but not you, and your parents say they dislike him for reasons like "he's a jerk" and not tenuous made-up reasons like "he's too tall for you and you'll have to have a C-section when you marry him and you need to marry a man who doesn't make any decisions" ... then you may want to reevaluate the relationship. I don't know if it's worth driving that large rift between you and your parents. It is *very* hard to mend.

Well you need to TALK to your parents. Ask them why they feel the way they do and HEAR THEM OUT. I know although she didn't force us to break up my mom did not like my now ex and everything she assumed about him was right. Not kidding. Moms often know more than you do.