Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

ksqt0509

Opinions on drinking?

44 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm sure this is a post somewhere but I need some opinions. 

First off, I mean "of age" drinking. I turn 21 this year. I've never had alcohol before or anything, I've never been much of a "party person" or whatever. But, I'm trying to decide where I stand on it. 

I think very few of ya'll might know that alcohol abuse is something I've seen in my family, I see it strain relationships and break trust. It scares me. 

I don't want that to be me, should I indeed decided to drink. I never want to be "drunk," If I did drink I'd like to think I'm stubborn enough in my decisions to be responsible and not lose my head. I guess I'm just torn between personally thinking that going out for a drink with friends is fine, and seeing the other side of things at home.What do you guys think? Are some people just more inclined to abuse alcohol? Is that trait passed down?

(I didn't think this was a 16+ kinda thing, but if it needs to be moved please go for it!)

Gene's can play a factor in alcoholism (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-use-disorders/genetics-alcohol-use-disorders), so if it runs in your family I would approach alcohol with extreme caution. 

Besides that, if genes aren't pushed into the mix, alcohol isn't prohibited in the Bible. It is only prohibited if it causes a brother or sister to fall on account of your drinking. This is one of those things where it's permissible, but not necessarily recommended.

I would also advise a word of cation saying, my oldest sister had the mindset of you of "i'll drink but I'll never get drunk." Unfortunately, she got drunk on accident multiple times, and now is making excuses trying to justify it. I'm not saying that you'll end up like my sister, but it's easy to over drink (especially if you're a lightweight) and not care until it's too late.

Extreme caution is turning into unnecessary stress, haha. It's like one side of my family I see it in, the other it isn't an issue at all. I just see the stress and heartbreak it can cause... so... I'm torn. 

I just wonder if seeing it at home would make me more cautious? I feel like it would, but I've heard the opposite. I don't know. 

I drink frequently, but I've never been intoxicated.  Simply make rules.  Some of mine are:

Only have one drink (I like whiskey)

Only drink when celebrating, never when I'm sad

Never drink alone, but always with friends or family

Those are simple, pretty rational rules.

I drink frequently, but I've never been intoxicated.  Simply make rules.  Some of mine are:

That's some good advice, too.

That's great advice. Every one of those guidelines aren't taken into consideration by The-Family-Member-Who-Shall-Remain-Nameless. Thanks.

"The alcohol of a good man is never a problem. Good men have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Now's not the time to find out why I have so many."

"The alcohol of a good man is never a problem. Good men have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Now's not the time to find out why I have so many."

:wub:

Yeah, I think Will and JAG give some pretty good advice. If you do decide to approach it, approach it very carefully.

I drink, and have done for a while now (legal in the UK to drink in private with your parents' permission anytime after the age of 5... not that I've been drinking that long). I think alcohol is made into a bigger deal than it really needs to be. 

Here are my thoughts if you do decide to drink

One thing to realise is that it's impossible to drink something and it not have an effect. I don't mean you're going to get drunk off one drink (if you do, you just really shouldn't be drinking), but alcohol relaxes you and so on. That's normal, that's fine, and that's certainly not getting drunk. What you should know, though, is that your alcohol tolerance will be lower now than if you drink for a couple of years). 

If you can't drink in the house (for whatever reason, it's perfectly understandable), I'd suggest asking your mum/aunt/older cousin or someone you trust to go for that first drink with you. Don't go for your first alcohol experience in a big party or group of friends where there's pressure. You might find you don't like alcohol - that's cool, too. 

I'll agree with Will and JAG that biblically the only prohibitions to alcohol are getting wasted and pulling other people towards it. Alcoholism runs in my family as well, so I have always made sure to exercise extreme caution. 

Like Katy, I go out with friends sometimes and I have some rules about drinking. If I'm drinking beer I'll drink a glass of water every two-beers. For me that's going to be about 1.5 - 2 hours of time total. If it's mixed drinks, it's 1 glass of water per drink. (Most times I just order them simultaneously). 

If I'm at my "local" place it's only 2 blocks away and I walk there and back. I worry about the water a bit less there, but they only serve beer. I've got a pretty high tolerance for beer, and I'm only there for the live music so one beer will last me quite a while. 

Drinking at home: This is where I get into trouble. JAG had some great advice here that I'm actually interested in following up on. I don't party, so 80% of my drinking is usually home. I live alone, I drink a glass of wine with dinner. I work on stuff or watch a tv program till 11. In that time I'll drink 2 stiff whiskeys and then go directly to bed. 

My thinking on this is, even if I'm a little tipsy at home, I'm pretty much asleep for most of it. I don't know if that makes any difference (Thoughts from you all?). But that's how my nights usually end up. 

--

All that to say: Have some rules, stick to them. If you drink with friends they *will* pressure you into doing shots, trying to chug beers etc... Don't get into that. Being wasted really isn't all that fun. Neither is puking in a toilet or waking up and wondering "what happened last night?" while you search around for things like phones, wallets, and watches. Be with responsible drinkers who have a mindset like yourself, a drink to relax, enjoy some entertainment like music, and talk. If you do drink alone, I like JAG's advice about not doing it when you're sad. You can easily just be like "screw it I'm alone *pour pour pour*". 

Also I definitely think if you have some genetic connection to alcoholism, be all the more strict and vigilant. 

Edited by Pointer

The people who have talked about drinking water too are totally right.  I rather enjoy cocktails, so if I'm ordering one I always order a water at the same time and drink both at the same time.  The cocktail can be between $4 and $12, so my disposition towards it is usually that of a treat - something that is to be enjoyed over a long period of time if possible.  Alcohol will make you have to pee, that's just part of it, hah.

My favorite drink is Honey Jack or Gentleman Jack mixed with Coke.  That's my dad's likewise, so we drink one together while we watch Band of Brothers or some other super masculine entertainment.

My favorite drink is Honey Jack or Gentleman Jack mixed with Coke. That's my dad's likewise, so we drink one together while we watch Band of Brothers or some other super masculine entertainment.

I would like to recommend to you American Honey by Wild Turkey. Straight on ice. No mixing! (ruining whiskey, tsk tsk!)

I'm 19 and have yet to consume any alcohol at all, so all I can say is what I believe: God made alcohol to be enjoyed, not abused. Don't be stupid, don't get wasted, and don't condemn alcohol.

I would like to recommend to you American Honey by Wild Turkey. Straight on ice. No mixing! (ruining whiskey, tsk tsk!)

I shall recommend Whisper Creek Tennessee Sippin' Cream to you then! Drink it straight on ice :D

Then get yourself a glass, put 4 ice cubes in it, half a can of coke, and a jigger of Honey Jack.  THEN tell me it's ruining whiskey.

Edited by JAG

I turned 21 this year had have enjoyed drinks from time to time. My opinion on alcohol is really the basic rules that they tell you in health and stuff. Your liver processes about one drink an hour (give or take depending on who you are), so keeping at that pace, you probably won't get drunk, but that doesn't mean you'll avoid a hangover. You get a hangover from being dehydrated, that's why everyone is telling you to drink water. It's really a life-saver. Also Gatorade and things to replenish your electrologists, that'll keep you in good shape.   

Also as far as mixers go, I would say avoid sodas or carbonated things at the beginning. In a lot of people (not all, but a lot) the carbonation makes the the alcohol effect you faster. Overall you'll get just as drunk either way you go, but you'll feel it sooner and that could be scary if you're not expecting it. 

I have alcoholism in my extended family, but not my parents and my siblings also seem to be fine. I don't drink in my dorm unless friends are over, which is only the weekend. I don't like drinking when I have to do work or school the next day. I drink when I'm in my home way more often, but there are always people in my house and I only have one drink. I don't really go out and drink, mostly because alcohol is expensive. That's really my major detriment for getting alcohol. Why order a 5 dollar drink while I'm out when I can get water for free?

Alcoholism runs in my family too. Alcholics are actually on both sides of my family, so I drink very cautiously.

I do drink though, and I have been drunk.

I typically try not to drink but once in a while, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of drinking anyway.

Pretty much, just be careful. If you find yourself needing alochol and even becoming dependant on it, put it down forever.

I'm going to post a somewhat different point of view on this subject.  Now, I know it's not going to be the popular or  "cool" thing to say, but hear me out.  Anyone who has read some of my post and views from the past know that I have no desire to be cool! :)

I firmly believe that alcohol is causing our nations to crumble.  I believe that because of alcohol that highways have become slaughter pens and our homes have become seething pots of unrest.  I mean, come on, I've never heard anyone say, "Things sure have been a lot better since dad starting drinking."

Millions of people die every year around the world because of alcohol-related causes.  If you're into statistics, check these out:

* 20% of freezing deaths can be attributed to alcohol

* 25% of choking deaths can be linked to alcohol

* 50% of people who died from falling are related to alcohol

* 52% of fire deaths are because of alcohol

* 60% of suicides are linked to alcohol

* 64% of murders are linked to alcohol

* 60% of rapes have something to do with alcohol

* 76% of aircraft deaths are linked to alcohol

* 72% of robberies/assaults are linked to alcohol

* 80% of criminal course cases have alcohol involved

Don't tell me alcohol isn't troublesome.  Not to mention health issues, and ruined lives/families.  I have seen alcohol destroy so many lives and families, I hate it with a passion.  Another fun fact for you…. did you know that 1 in 18 people will become an alcoholic and will fall through the bottom?  They'll become an uncontrollable drunk.   You say, "Cary, those odds aren't that bad."  Oh really now?

If you were getting on an airplane and they told you beforehand that 1 out of every 18 seats will fall through the floor during the flight before you land.  Would you get on that airplane?  I doubt it.

Teens and young adults are told these days to drinks.  You see ads all the time, in the movies and TV, commercials, billboards, etc.  The world says drink it!  Even some religious leaders say it's quite alright to drink.  But I think alcohol is the most deceptive and dangerous drug in America.

To the teenagers and young adults out there, please listen to me if you're thinking about trying some alcohol.   It's not the last drink that makes you an alcoholic…it's the first one.   Leave the first drink alone and you don't have to worry about it.  Anyone who drinks is in danger of becoming an alcoholic.

And, teenagers, you don't need to go out with those who drink.  You don't need to hang out with people who drink.  You say, "I just want to have a good time!"  Me too! And I do have a good time.  But you need to receive your joy from Jesus.  Trust me, there's too much danger in getting involved with alcohol.  100% abstinence is the way to go.    

Now am I condemning those of you who say you drink?  Absolutely not, I love you all.  I just would never recommend anyone to take a sip of alcohol after seeing and hearing about all the danger that can take place.  It's just not a good idea!

Please, post a link with all those statistics. 

I didn't get those statistics from the internet and some random website.  I read books and have other resources.  I assure you, I don't have the time to make up that kind of stuff.  I'm sure if you search around the internet, you'll find evidence to support those facts.

But they're your facts that you posted. .-. Whatevs.

Yes, but I don't have time to find them listed on websites that may or may not even have them listed.  Take the facts or leave it, my feelings won't be hurt.  But to anyone else out there reading this, I have nothing to gain from lying and making this stuff up.  It would only ruin my credibility if it got out that those are lies.  That's not something that's going to happen. :)

Cary, no one's ever been killed by alcohol.  Do you see a difference between the abuse of alcohol and the enjoyment thereof? 

Cary, no one's ever been killed by alcohol. 

JAG, that's simply not true. You can drink so much alcohol that you either slip into a coma or stop breathing. It's called (acute) alcohol poisoning.