Opinions on drinking?

ksqt0509

Cary, no one's ever been killed by alcohol.  Do you see a difference between the abuse of alcohol and the enjoyment thereof? 

Is that a joke?  Seriously?  I highly recommend that you read the World Health Organization's global status report on alcohol and health.  4 percent of all deaths worldwide are attributable to alcohol.  Alcohol DOES kill.  

And absolutely, I do see a difference between alcohol abuse and the enjoyment of it.  But just because something is enjoyable doesn't mean it's right.  Alcohol will cause a man to deprive his children of the care that they need.  It will make a virtuous woman forget her marriage vows.  It will turn obedient children into rebels against society, their parents, and God.  It is dangerous.  Why take an unnecessary risk? Just for a moment of pleasure?  It's not worth it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I am 22 and have drunk alcohol twice since turning legal and part of a beer at 15 in our house ( not even half).  As far as full units 12oz of beer 4.5 oz of wine or a 1 oz shot I had ONE glass on my 21st birthday could NOT wait and then brought in 2013 the traditional way with ONE glass of Bubblely

Alcohol is the deadly poisonous venom of the serpent, satan.  It is the confusion of Babylon, the devil's drink, and his children, the children of Belial, are them which drink of it.  The Dragon's teeth are tipped with its deadly taint, and even while Christ Jesus was upon the Cross, the Dragon tried to infect Jesus with it - sin, for alcohol is always associated with sin.  A Christian is a precious and holy vessel unto the Lord, even in the Lord's temple, which temple ye are, and were never to be filled with corruption.  Judgment fell upon Aaron's sons, and Judgment fell upon Belshazzar which dared fill the holy vessels of the house of God with the raging mocker.  While those which partake of the table of devils' and of their cup, cannot have fellowship with Christ at His.  Let us Glorify God therefore in our body, and cease from the beverage of revelry, rebellion, and of the forgetting of the loving law of God.

Alcohol is the deadly poisonous venom of the serpent, satan.  It is the confusion of Babylon, the devil's drink, and his children, the children of Belial, are them which drink of it.  The Dragon's teeth are tipped with its deadly taint, and even while Christ Jesus was upon the Cross, the Dragon tried to infect Jesus with it - sin, for alcohol is always associated with sin.  A Christian is a precious and holy vessel unto the Lord, even in the Lord's temple, which temple ye are, and were never to be filled with corruption.  Judgment fell upon Aaron's sons, and Judgment fell upon Belshazzar which dared fill the holy vessels of the house of God with the raging mocker.  While those which partake of the table of devils' and of their cup, cannot have fellowship with Christ at His.  Let us Glorify God therefore in our body, and cease from the beverage of revelry, rebellion, and of the forgetting of the loving law of God.

So I take it that you believe Jesus turned water to grape juice?

• 2 years later...

I'm going to post a somewhat different point of view on this subject.  Now, I know it's not going to be the popular or  "cool" thing to say, but hear me out.  Anyone who has read some of my post and views from the past know that I have no desire to be cool! :)

I firmly believe that alcohol is causing our nations to crumble.  I believe that because of alcohol that highways have become slaughter pens and our homes have become seething pots of unrest.  I mean, come on, I've never heard anyone say, "Things sure have been a lot better since dad starting drinking."

Millions of people die every year around the world because of alcohol-related causes.  If you're into statistics, check these out:

* 20% of freezing deaths can be attributed to alcohol

* 25% of choking deaths can be linked to alcohol

* 50% of people who died from falling are related to alcohol

* 52% of fire deaths are because of alcohol

* 60% of suicides are linked to alcohol

* 64% of murders are linked to alcohol

* 60% of rapes have something to do with alcohol

* 76% of aircraft deaths are linked to alcohol

* 72% of robberies/assaults are linked to alcohol

* 80% of criminal course cases have alcohol involved

Don't tell me alcohol isn't troublesome.  Not to mention health issues, and ruined lives/families.  I have seen alcohol destroy so many lives and families, I hate it with a passion.  Another fun fact for you…. did you know that 1 in 18 people will become an alcoholic and will fall through the bottom?  They'll become an uncontrollable drunk.   You say, "Cary, those odds aren't that bad."  Oh really now?

If you were getting on an airplane and they told you beforehand that 1 out of every 18 seats will fall through the floor during the flight before you land.  Would you get on that airplane?  I doubt it.

Teens and young adults are told these days to drinks.  You see ads all the time, in the movies and TV, commercials, billboards, etc.  The world says drink it!  Even some religious leaders say it's quite alright to drink.  But I think alcohol is the most deceptive and dangerous drug in America.

To the teenagers and young adults out there, please listen to me if you're thinking about trying some alcohol.   It's not the last drink that makes you an alcoholic…it's the first one.   Leave the first drink alone and you don't have to worry about it.  Anyone who drinks is in danger of becoming an alcoholic.

And, teenagers, you don't need to go out with those who drink.  You don't need to hang out with people who drink.  You say, "I just want to have a good time!"  Me too! And I do have a good time.  But you need to receive your joy from Jesus.  Trust me, there's too much danger in getting involved with alcohol.  100% abstinence is the way to go.    

Now am I condemning those of you who say you drink?  Absolutely not, I love you all.  I just would never recommend anyone to take a sip of alcohol after seeing and hearing about all the danger that can take place.  It's just not a good idea!

I know this is old, and this was unpopular, but this definitely seems reasonable to me...of course this is coming from someone who has seen the damages of alcohol in a family and doesn't intend to drink anyway...

• 1 month later...

Drinking is not a sin but drunkenness is

Galatians 5:21

Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Why drink except to get drunk? I mean, if drunkenness is a sin then id rather not drink at all, tbh. Alcohol tastes bad so im p sure people dont drink for the taste. Thats what green tea is for.

Why drink except to get drunk? I mean, if drunkenness is a sin then id rather not drink at all, tbh. Alcohol tastes bad so im p sure people dont drink for the taste. Thats what green tea is for.

You can drink for pleasure without aiming to actually get drunk. Jesus did so, and the Bible speaks of alcohol as something God has given man to make us happy.

I drink alcohol to enjoy it. I like the taste. I share a love of whiskey with my dad, for example, and so we do a lot of tastings together.

• 1 year later...

Do you want me to give you actual Scriptures from the Bible?

I have never had any beer before, and I know if I did I would get into trouble with my parents, who are Conservative Christians in their beliefs and thinking.

Drinking is generally frowned upon in my family, mainly because of these verses:

Pro 23:31

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, JacquelineDeane55 said:

Do you want me to give you actual Scriptures from the Bible?

I have never had any beer before, and I know if I did I would get into trouble with my parents, who are Conservative Christians in their beliefs and thinking.

Drinking is generally frowned upon in my family, mainly because of these verses:

Pro 23:31

Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

Psalm 104:15 also teaches that God has given mankind wine to make their hearts glad. Wisdom often comes from balance or even clashing opposites. To stick to any one side (avoid alcohol or overdrink all the time) is where foolishness begins.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes Jesus did drink wine but it was wine that doesn't have alcohol in it. I underatand that you guys believe that drinking wine, beered or whatever yall drink isn't bad but I am a Pentecostal CHristian and we don't allow people to drink. How would you drink wine or beer knowing how it can affect you. That is disgrace before God's eyes. Alcohol can be addicting and can cause a problem.

19 hours ago, Michi said:

Yes Jesus did drink wine but it was wine that doesn't have alcohol in it.

This is completely not true at. Historically, alcoholic wine was what Jesus would have been drinking, especially at events like Passover. And "wine that doesn't have alcohol" doesn't exist. The closest thing is grape juice, which didn't exist until relatively recently.

19 hours ago, Michi said:

I underatand that you guys believe that drinking wine, beered or whatever yall drink isn't bad but I am a Pentecostal CHristian and we don't allow people to drink. How would you drink wine or beer knowing how it can affect you. That is disgrace before God's eyes. Alcohol can be addicting and can cause a problem.

You are quite wrong. The Bible says in Psalm 104:15 that God gave mankind wine to make us glad. Forbidding certain foods and drinks is what Paul condemns in Colossians 2:20-23 as rules which look wise but are really useless and worldly.

22 hours ago, Nicene Nerd said:

This is completely not true at. Historically, alcoholic wine was what Jesus would have been drinking, especially at events like Passover. And "wine that doesn't have alcohol" doesn't exist. The closest thing is grape juice, which didn't exist until relatively recently.

You are quite wrong. The Bible says in Psalm 104:15 that God gave mankind wine to make us glad. Forbidding certain foods and drinks is what Paul condemns in Colossians 2:20-23 as rules which look wise but are really useless and worldly.

But if you are Christian then you shouldn't be drinking wine. Thats what people in the world do. In the bible says whover love the stuff from the world, the love of the father is not in him. I think that you guys preach the word out of context. 

1 minute ago, Michi said:

But if you are Christian then you shouldn't be drinking wine.

This is not what the Bible says. The Bible says that wine is a gift from God to mankind. Jesus drank real wine, not fake stuff. Wine was a part of Passover. Jesus commanded us to take Communion, which always had to be wine until grape juice was invented.

Thats what people in the world do. In the bible says whover love the stuff from the world, the love of the father is not in him.

People in the world also eat fried chicken and play Monopoly and make art. I guess Christians shouldn't do those things, either.

I think that you guys preach the word out of context. 

No, it is definitely you who are doing this. There is no way to read the Bible seriously and in context and come to believe that wine-drinking is wrong.

1 hour ago, Nicene Nerd said:

This is not what the Bible says. The Bible says that wine is a gift from God to mankind. Jesus drank real wine, not fake stuff. Wine was a part of Passover. Jesus commanded us to take Communion, which always had to be wine until grape juice was invented.

People in the world also eat fried chicken and play Monopoly and make art. I guess Christians shouldn't do those things, either.

No, it is definitely you who are doing this. There is no way to read the Bible seriously and in context and come to believe that wine-drinking is wrong.

I stand by of what I believe :thumbsup: if drinking is bad in my opinion then it's wrong. I am a pentecostal Christian and we believe that drinking is bad. But I am not judging if you guys are doing it. If you guys want to do it then go ahead and do it but I am just stating my point of view. :)

1 hour ago, Michi said:

I stand by of what I believe :thumbsup: if drinking is bad in my opinion then it's wrong. I am a pentecostal Christian and we believe that drinking is bad. But I am not judging if you guys are doing it. If you guys want to do it then go ahead and do it but I am just stating my point of view. :)

So you're saying that you're going to believe whatever your church tells you to believe even if it flatly contradicts God's Word?