Radical Edward

15 Year Old In Oklahoma Suspended For "Casting a Magic Spell" and Making a Male Teacher Sick

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95218&page=1

So yeah, this is a thing that's happening.

A fifteen year old girl in Oklahoma has been suspended from her school after being accused by her principal of casting a spell and causing a male teacher to become ill. This is following a history of religious rights issues between the school and the girl, the former having refused to allow her to wear or draw Wiccan symbols and frequently confiscating notebooks she wrote stories in. 

After the teacher fell ill, the principal apparently called the girl into his office, "interrogated" her, got her to admit that yeah, maybe she's Wiccan, and then arbitrarily decided she was an immediate threat to the school and suspended her for "disrupting the education process".

You know.

Because she "cast a magic spell" on the teacher.

Obviously, there's going to be a lawsuit. 

Guest JAG

She got off easy right? I mean...they didn't burn her at recess.

She got off easy right? I mean...they didn't burn her at recess.

I wish I could keep a straight face and make protestations that this is a serious issue but I admit...

This made me laugh.

Whhhattt?

For one thing, i've always been left with the impression that  Wiccans do not equate to witches and thus do not cast spells in the first place.

for another...this is just... weird.

Edited by Boogles

Wiccan can cast spells, but most believe in the Rule of Three - whatever you do comes back to you threefold. That's why they do not curse or hex. But this is the majority.

Wiccan can cast spells, but most believe in the Rule of Three - whatever you do comes back to you threefold. That's why they do not curse or hex. But this is the majority.

*Begins to be something of a jerk, wondering whether this means that the worst possible Wiccan hex is one third as bad as the worst possible fate*

How though.

This is the kind of croutons I find on Tumblr at 3 in the morning.

Like, what were they even thinking.

Did they forget to logic.

Someone halp.

*Begins to be something of a jerk, wondering whether this means that the worst possible Wiccan hex is one third as bad as the worst possible fate*

Only applies to Wiccans who most of the time don't bother with the stuff.

Now... everyone else who practices. That's something else.

Guest JAG

Is the lifetime movie actually how it worked out?  They refused to settle, charges were dropped, etc.

According to the Wikipedia article:

Finally, her parents went to the ACLU, where they were told they had a good case against the school for violating her civil rights. The ACLU sued the affluent school for $10 million, even though the Blackbears were not sure they deserved that much based on what Brandi had suffered. Still, the ACLU argued that the school would not take any lesser claim seriously. When the school offered a settlement, the Blackbears refused. They were not interested in the money, despite needing it; what they really wanted was to have their story heard in court to inform the public that the school had mistreated Brandi. The judge ruled to dismiss the charges rather than going to trial, and ordered the Blackbears to pay $6000 in court fees, which they could not afford. Eventually it was agreed to drop the fees if the Blackbears dropped their appeal. Earlier that day at school however, Kimberly (the most popular girl in school, and Brandi's main tormentor) tries to interview Brandi for the school newspaper but she declines, and also, everyone at school expresses their admiration for Brandi, causing Kimberly to lose her popularity.

Oh snap. 

Once I went into my teacher's office when she wasn't there, and was all "Get here rightnowicus!" 

When it didn't work, her secretary was all, "You must be a muggle!"

<_<

When something sounds even remotely magical, blame it on Harry Potter. 

It's the devil's work.

When something sounds even remotely magical, blame it on Harry Dresden. 

It's the White God's work.

I think you typo'd, so I fixed it for you.

Edited by Yves