tabithakay

what is Christianity to you?

To me Christianity isn't just a religion or a philosophy, but a relationship with God and a lifestyle. The main core of this lifestyle is thinking of others as Jesus did instead of ourselves. tell me if you agree or disagree and why or why not.

Christianity is a religion entirely centered on the person of Jesus Christ, and His work in life, death, and resurrection. It is a way to commune with Him, and through Him with God. It is meant to draw us more in alignment with Christ so that we can live the kind of human life we were created to live: one of love, joy, creativity, and communion with God and other humans, and that we can pass this on to others, until the entire world is renewed at Christ's return.

Personally, Christianity to me is a religion, and a multi-faceted one.

It is the expression of the glory of God the Father in God the Son. It is the fulfilment of God's plan for the salvation of humanity through Jesus Christ. It is the return of intimacy between parent and child; it makes lost, found, it makes the blind see, it turns despair to hope. Christianity reunites us with our Heavenly Father and draws us into a relationship with Him, but it also changes our relationship with the rest of humanity. It is the power of prayer, the Gospel preached, and the service of others. 

It is the single most beautiful thing ever to be experienced or explained. 

For me, Christianity is two things. Firstly it gives me a worldview which puts everything into perspective. It helps me cope with suffering and sheds light on the bits of life that don't seem to make sense otherwise. Second is the amazing relationship with our heavenly Father we can have and the bucketloads of grace he pours on us. However I don't think words do any of this justice:)

Christianity is the only religion that isn't about what humans can do for God, but what God has done for humans. Jesus coming to die for the sins of the world and giving eternal life to those who believe in him. That's summing it all up very briefly. 

To me its a relationship because a "religion" is based really on rules and regulation..... your more focused on that than your walk with God. For 7 years I was living a religion, and didn't even know it!  People may not know that Christ did not want Christianity to be a religion. He wants a personal relationship with us. Yeahh we have to act as God wants to be.

religion - noun.

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

Nope, Christianity's not a religion. We don't believe in or worship a personal, superhuman God.

Nope, Christianity's not a religion. We don't believe in or worship a personal, superhuman God.

Gave me a chuckle.

There's nothing I loathe more than "It's not a religion, it's a relationship!" 

Christianity has always been a relationship in my eyes. The term religion just has a negative connotation to me; it sounds like a bunch of rules, regulations, and control to the leaders rather than God. 

As Paige said, I believe that the reason some people say that Christianity is not a religion is because the word "religion" connotes rigid, legalistic guidelines and blind faith to some high, lofty Man in the Sky; that said, there's no reason to get huffy and vehemently deny that Christianity is *not* a religion. It is as much a religion as it is a relationship. Not either/or, but both/and.

To me its a relationship because a "religion" is based really on rules and regulation..... your more focused on that than your walk with God. For 7 years I was living a religion, and didn't even know it!  People may not know that Christ did not want Christianity to be a religion. He wants a personal relationship with us. Yeahh we have to act as God wants to be.

Christianity has always been a relationship in my eyes. The term religion just has a negative connotation to me; it sounds like a bunch of rules, regulations, and control to the leaders rather than God. 

I might just be weird, but I do not equate ritualism with dead legalism. The ritual of the Mass, sacraments and liturgies in the Roman faith is alive and full of the Spirit of God for me. I tend to think our distrust of ritual is a product of our liberal-capitalist culture and that the vast majority of humans in history would find it quite strange.

Edited by Wesker

Christianity is just a broad term to me of the story of who Christ is, what He did/will do/is doing, our reaction, and many other things that you really can't explain in English very adequately.

Yes, it's a religion. Technically.

Yes, it's a relationship. But a completely unique one.

Yes, it's a love story. But that can't encompass Christianity.

Also, I think Christianity should be thought of as love in action. Loving others sacrificially like God loved us. When I think of Christianity, I want to think of a church that serves from the heart.

All those things together are Christianity, as well as I can put it quickly :P

Christianity is just a broad term to me of the story of who Christ is, what He did/will do/is doing, our reaction, and many other things that you really can't explain in English very adequately.

Also, I think Christianity should be thought of as love in action. Loving others sacrificially like God loved us. When I think of Christianity, I want to think of a church that serves from the heart.

Pretty much.

I liked your post. I agree! It's so difficult to list all things Christianity actually is. I guess that's why we have fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ, I mean one of the reasons why, so we can see it from their points of view, their experiences. :) It's really inspiring actually.

I would say Christianity is not just a religion, but instead a relationship.

I see it as a personal relationship with God.

All summed up in one sentence.