Welcome back to the Christian Teen Forums. We have been upgrading our forum software and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated. Thank you for your patience.

We are still working to bring some add-on features back, so it will be a continued work-in-progress. If you have any questions, feel free to post and ask away. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mfundo_07

Christian Stereotypes..

What are some stereotypes that you know that have been put on Christians? and do you think they may be true looking at the Christian community around you and what can be done about them? (if there is some truth to it)

A lot of non-Christians do not understand what it means to be a Christian. So when they look to us, they automatically think we're supposed to be perfect or that we think we are. That's totally not the case at all. I hate when people try to call out something I do or did because I'm "supposed to be a Christian". Everyone sins. Being a Christian doesn't mean that you won't. It means that when you do, you will be forgiven due to the perfection that is and was Jesus Christ. Being a Christian has little to do with me. It has to do with HIM. That's what I wish people would understand.

The only stereotypes I've really encountered was this idea that, as a Christian, I would be really exclusive about who I hung out with and what I did. Which is true to an extent. I mean I am more picky about what activities and people I surround myself with and I do know plenty of Christians that position themselves to where their main social groups are other Christians and I personally don't think this is helpful. Oh sure, you might have your one atheist friend who you invite to church/youth with but if you make it to where all conversations instantly lead back to Christianity it's going to feel exclusive. 

Personally, while I think fellowship is extremely important and believe it's important to building up the fire of faith in a new Christian there's a point where you have to learn to carry that fire out into the world without the safety net that an all Christian circle of friends provides. 

I just hate that people would think I wouldn't want to be around them or be friends with them because of a differing religious affiliation or lack there of. People who know me know where I stand from a God/Faith standpoint, but for the reasons mentioned above I usually don't bring it up when I'm first meeting people. Which I don't think is a bad thing, btw.  

Hooboy. Alright, Christians are:

• No-good sticks in the mud. NO FUN ALLOWED
  • Rude and pushy
  • Small-minded and deeply intolerant
  • Conservative (Pagans, from whom I'm gleaning most of these, are extremely liberal)
  • Quite literally insane, "Crazy uber-religious" a la the Mom in Carrie is a meme for a reason
  • Hypocrites who talk the talk but don't walk the walk

etc, etc, etc...

Yeesh. 

How about, "Mindless drones who can't find the strength to do things themselves and as an alternative answer look to a myth and pray to it to get some gross satisfaction and feel good about themselves."

Yeesh. 

How about, "Mindless drones who can't find the strength to do things themselves and as an alternative answer look to a myth and pray to it to get some gross satisfaction and feel good about themselves."

I think that particular canard is more about Theists in general rather than Christians specifically.

1. We reject science. Ken Ham does not speak for all of us

2. We are all homophobic 

3. Voting republican is a must

4. We all believe the same

Those people who believe loving people is equivalent to constantly telling the unsaved their hellbound. Every. Single. Time.

Here are some of the positive stereotypes I've encountered:

• We're very loving people with good intentions
  • We're expected to hold up and maintain a high standard of integrity
  • We accept others regardless of who they are
  • We smile a lot
  • We're aware of "the right thing to do" (but that doesn't mean we always say or do it)
  • We've thought about the meaning of life on a much deeper level than most people

Most people don't stereotype me because I simply don't tell them I'm Christian right away. I'll wait until they're more comfortable with me before I share what I believe in.

1. We reject science. Ken Ham does not speak for all of us

2. We are all homophobic 

3. Voting republican is a must

4. We all believe the same

Could you please explain the voting republican part, being from South Africa I'm not familiar with this .

Could you please explain the voting republican part, being from South Africa I'm not familiar with this .

It's a political party, conservative mainly. Around where I live, most Christians vote republican or for republican candidates.

Thank you all.  I am writing a paper on this topic for college, and this forum definitely helped me out.giphy.gif

Edited by liamdude5