HisHonesty

Are you giving up anything for Lent 2014?

Ash Wednesday is Match 5, I'll be giving up sweets, Twitter, and swearing. Are you participating? By doing what?

I've just decided to start today with it, half way through the week just feels weird. I was going to go vegan but there's nada decent to eat at uni which is cheap and that doesn't have at least milk. Instead i'm going veggie with limited intake of animal products and zero meat, no alcohol (stares longingly at brandy), no junk food, no sweets/chocolate and just generally abstaining from things that are indulgent, expensive and only eating when hungry. Non-food wise it's 40 days of 1-2 hours of hard study - no distractions, 2 hours walk a day, and an episode of Classic Doctor Who because dangit I need to catch up.

In other words, burn myself out. 

Edited by slycooper

I've just decided to start today with it, half way through the week just feels weird. I was going to go vegan but there's nada decent to eat at uni which is cheap and that doesn't have at least milk. Instead i'm going veggie with limited intake of animal products and zero meat, no alcohol (stares longingly at brandy), no junk food, no sweets/chocolate and just generally abstaining from things that are indulgent, expensive and only eating when hungry. Non-food wise it's 40 days of 1-2 hours of hard study - no distractions, 2 hours walk a day, and an episode of Classic Doctor Who because dangit I need to catch up.

In other words, burn myself out. 

Wow, that's really great! I hope you can handle all that! Haha I've heard that Doctor Who is really great, what's it about?

Wow, that's really great! I hope you can handle all that! Haha I've heard that Doctor Who is really great, what's it about?

Funnily enough on my first day of fasting, Uni just went and decided to give us a lecture on taste using chips as an example. It was not cool xD Thankfully there's a glorious vegetarian/health store in the area with a bunch of nice stuff. Just a shame it's after so many fast food outlets  :whistle:

Doctor Who is a British sci-fi show which has just past its' 50th anniversary - It's basically about a mad man with a box. Which can travel space. And time. And it's epic and glorious and you should really watch/listen to the audios so your life may be complete  :razz: You'll probably recognise it actually once you hear the theme or see pictures from it, 'tis quite popular in ye colonies these days.

Join our fandom, we have jelly babies, sexy accents and in jokes awaiting!

EightJellyBaby.gif

Edited by slycooper

I should give up coffee.... but I'm like right in crunch time right now (quarter ends on the 19th) so... not happening. At least not for a few days. Would give up meat or sweets or something, but I've actually been losing a slightly bizarre amount of weight lately just being my normal neurotic self so I've decided that, this year, doing any sort of food-fast (besides Fridays of course) might not be prudent. 

Soooo maybe recreational internet and warm showers? Idk. 

Also need to pick up a Lenten devotional or something of some sort methinks. 

All non-essential food.

And no school on Fat Tuesday, so yay ^.^

That's a good idea! And have fun on your day off! Keep it clean!

Well, since everybody else is doing it. .

I GIVE UP CONFORMITY.

Hahaha that took me a while but now I can't stop laughing. :)

I should give up coffee.... but I'm like right in crunch time right now (quarter ends on the 19th) so... not happening. At least not for a few days. Would give up meat or sweets or something, but I've actually been losing a slightly bizarre amount of weight lately just being my normal neurotic self so I've decided that, this year, doing any sort of food-fast (besides Fridays of course) might not be prudent.

Soooo maybe recreational internet and warm showers? Idk.

Also need to pick up a Lenten devotional or something of some sort methinks.

Oh dear, I hope you don't lose too much weight! But congratulations if that's what you wanted to do :) No recreational internet is great, I wanted to do that but I don't want to commit to something I know I can't do. Giving up warm showers is also good! We often take such small things for granted, but we are so blessed to even have any water. God bless and happy Mardi Gras!

Oh, and thank you for the devotional idea! I didn't even think of that!

Edited by HisHonesty

Giving up tea & coffee 0_o I'm going to be dealing with some serious withdrawal symptoms.

Good luck!Drink orange juice instead, it'll still give you energy just maybe not such a rush.

Funnily enough on my first day of fasting, Uni just went and decided to give us a lecture on taste using chips as an example. It was not cool xD Thankfully there's a glorious vegetarian/health store in the area with a bunch of nice stuff. Just a shame it's after so many fast food outlets :whistle:

Doctor Who is a British sci-fi show which has just past its' 50th anniversary - It's basically about a mad man with a box. Which can travel space. And time. And it's epic and glorious and you should really watch/listen to the audios so your life may be complete :razz: You'll probably recognise it actually once you hear the theme or see pictures from it, 'tis quite popular in ye colonies these days.

Join our fandom, we have jelly babies, sexy accents and in jokes awaiting!

EightJellyBaby.gif

Oh goodness gracious, something always seems to get in the way haha. I love health food stores, it's a bit like being in the jungle.

Thank you for all the information! I will have to watch an episode sometime. Happy Mardi gras!

I like to give up and take up things over Lent, with a particular focus on habits that reorientate myself towards the cross. I think of it as more of the good things, and less of the bad - getting the balance back, I suppose. 

I'm giving up over-indulgent food/drink habits (similar to Abi, but I can't go the whole hog for health reasons at the moment), not thinking before I speak and procrastinating. I waste a lot of time and energy on stuff that really isn't worth it. 

I'm taking up working out more, praying more/going to Mass as often as possible, and giving more of myself (whether that's time/resources etc.). A sort of "mind, body, spirit" kinda thing, I guess. 

Good luck!Drink orange juice instead, it'll still give you energy just maybe not such a rush.

Thanks :thumbup:  Orange juice and milkshake are going to be my substitutes. 

Oh, and thank you for the devotional idea! I didn't even think of that!

No worries! I always try to do sort of 'give something up and add something spiritually idea'... I should have my prayer life better in order... but I don't. So lent/advent/whatever are always good reminders for me to kick start things. :-) 

I haven't actually been able to get out and buy a good devotional book (busy busy busy) but I did sign up for Fr. Robert Barron's daily Lenten devotional email list....  at the recommendation of a friend. Kinda afraid I'm gonna get catholic-spammed to death (I try not to give my email away to much) but I check my email frequently (also it comes to my phone, double plus!) so it should be a good way to keep up with things. 

Well, since everybody else is doing it. .

I GIVE UP CONFORMITY.

I was going to say "Your Mom" but this is so much better.

Yes, I think I will give up sugary drinks?

Oh good! I stopped drinking soda a few years ago and I promise you won't even miss it :) Oh, and I love your signature; one of my favorite verses.

I'm keeping it short and sweet this year. Er, maybe not sweet. I'm giving up sweets.