Sign in to follow this  
Psl

praying

I live in an area wich is mostly (99.9%) are jews so therefore most of my friends are jews. Because of that there are lot of times when there is a jewish prayer in the jewish church or a grace before meals and so on... My problem is that they are expecting me to pray along with them and to say the jewish graces and prayers. Is it ok for a christian to pray with jews in their churc (and so on)? Is it ok to pray with them as an act of respect and friendship?

I don't know anything about Jewish prayers, but don't Jews and Christians serve the same God?

I don't see anything wrong with praying with jews, and if you could get the opportunity to tell them about their Messiah being Jesus, take it. :)

Thankyou my concerns came from the fact that the name jesus in hebrew had been changed to yeshu means is name and legacy shall be destroyed. I just keep thinking about it when they pray around me.

Thankyou my concerns came from the fact that the name jesus in hebrew had been changed to yeshu means is name and legacy shall be destroyed. I just keep thinking about it when they pray around me.

actually Jesus is the latin form of the greek name Iesous, which is a rendition of the hebrew name, Yeshua, which means to deliver or rescue...Hence when the angel appeared he said, and His name shall be Jesus for He shall save His people from their sins...(so in a way, rescuing / delivering them from their sins)

You should research Messianic Judaism..It is a religion which has come to realization that Jesus/Yeshua is the two Messiah's prophecied in the Jewish scripts. Jesus came as a servant first, and will come back again as a king....Really interesting if you research into it.

Edited by Kite

but don't Jews and Christians serve the same God?

No. The Jewish God never became a man as Jesus Christ, and He never died to save humanity from their sins.

No. The Jewish God never became a man as Jesus Christ, and He never died to save humanity from their sins.

No...He did, they just don't know yet.

actually Jesus is the latin form of the greek name Iesous, which is a rendition of the hebrew name, Yeshua, which means to deliver or rescue...Hence when the angel appeared he said, and His name shall be Jesus for He shall save His people from their sins...(so in a way, rescuing / delivering them from their sins)

You should research Messianic Judaism..It is a religion which has come to realization that Jesus/Yeshua is the two Messiah's prophecied in the Jewish scripts. Jesus came as a servant first, and will come back again as a king....Really interesting if you research into it.

I reaserched a lot and learned all of that. And because of that and the fact that my mother tongue is hebrew I can say that the nam jesus-yeshua(ישוע) is not prenounced tha way in hebrew and they call jesus yeshu(ישו) an acronym of יש"ו-יימח שמו וזכרו means his name and legacy shall be wiped and destroyed. Taking the messianic jews out of the equation, the ortodox, reformic and exentra are calling jesus that way

No...He did, they just don't know yet.

No, they explicitly deny that He did. Modern Judaism has little in common with the Old Testament religion, and it specifically rejects Jesus as Messiah (with the exception of Messianic Jews). That is the ultimate heresy and completely impossible for true followers of Yahweh.

No, they explicitly deny that He did. Modern Judaism has little in common with the Old Testament religion, and it specifically rejects Jesus as Messiah (with the exception of Messianic Jews). That is the ultimate heresy and completely impossible for true followers of Yahweh.

Paul speaks of a spiritual blindness of the jews, something which the Pharisees also had.

If you noticed, Jesus told the Pharisees that because they see, they wil be blinded, and the blind shall see.

By the spreading of the gospel, more jews are having their eyes opened to the fact that their Jewish Messiahs is Jesus of Nazareth.

The ark of the covenant and many jewish feasts all point to Jesus, they keep these feasts, which were commanded by the God of the Bible.

They reject Jesus, because they do not know Him...but more people will have their eyes opened and realize as the end draws near.

If they serve the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, who am I to say they do not serve the same God?

Paul speaks of a spiritual blindness of the jews, something which the Pharisees also had.

If you noticed, Jesus told the Pharisees that because they see, they wil be blinded, and the blind shall see.

By the spreading of the gospel, more jews are having their eyes opened to the fact that their Jewish Messiahs is Jesus of Nazareth.

The ark of the covenant and many jewish feasts all point to Jesus, they keep these feasts, which were commanded by the God of the Bible.

They reject Jesus, because they do not know Him...but more people will have their eyes opened and realize as the end draws near.

If they serve the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, who am I to say they do not serve the same God?

The Jewish religion today is barely recognizable as Judaism which existed in Jesus' day. The religion of the Old Covenant is not the same as any modern form of Judaism. Most Jews today do not simply remain ignorant that Jesus is Messiah: they explicitly deny He is. The Jewish religion crucifies Jesus just as the Jewish leaders of Jesus' day did. They do not serve the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They serve an idol impostor who goes by the same name.

The Jewish religion today is barely recognizable as Judaism which existed in Jesus' day. The religion of the Old Covenant is not the same as any modern form of Judaism. Most Jews today do not simply remain ignorant that Jesus is Messiah: they explicitly deny He is. The Jewish religion crucifies Jesus just as the Jewish leaders of Jesus' day did. They do not serve the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They serve an idol impostor who goes by the same name.

In Romans 10, it states,

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

One could view this zeal as towards the God of the Bible, and another, could say correctly, that the God of the Bible does not accept self-righteousness but expects all men to repent and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 3:12 also warns of unbelief in Christ leading them away from the true living God.

I am now convinced that they do not serve the true living God, but rather like the rest of the world, have created an image of the true God, who suits their desires. 

Exodus 32:4

And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

Idolatry is seriously one of the most prominent sin in the world, so many of are drawn to it, because it allows you to have any god you want...Like the Israelites golden calf, as they proclaimed, this is the god who brought them out of Egypt. (even though it was not) .The Jews have rejected the true God and created an "idol impostor who goes by the same name."

Even some Christians, create a god for themselves who has differences from that of the Bible, so do other religions, and the famous New Age religion which believes all paths lead to God. All these, are idolatry.

My prayer is that the Holy Spirit open the eyes of the blind to see the saving grace which is God dieing on a cross to save mankind from his sins.

Thanks, for letting me research this by the way. ^_^