BlueBrie

Books on Christian Apologetics

Seeing as the summer exams are just a few weeks away, I feel the need to purchase some new reading material to enhance my procrastination capacity. Can anyone recommend some decent books on apologetics? I'm familiar with John Lennox's work and also William Lane Craig's and they've helped in many a conversation with my uni coursemates and flatmates about God, Jesus, The Bible etc. Thanks in advance! :)

I hear that Hans Küng's Does God Exist? is a very intriguing book. It engages in dialogue with the great atheist thinkers of Western civilization, and from the other books I have read by Küng, I do not imagine he will disappoint. 

You might try Attacking Faulty Reasoning by Dahmer. It isn't an apologetical resource (Dahmer is, I think, an Agnostic) but it's an excellent primer to logical thought. To really get into the meat of logic you could try some of Aristotle's works on logic like Categories and Prior Analytics. The difficulty with these works is that logic has gone through some advancements since Aristotle. But it'd be a great place to start.

If you're up for something a bit heady, Proslogion by Anselm of Canterbury is worth a look. The difficulty is that it was written by an author before Kant meaning that much of the world of logic had not been formulated or tested. While the Ontological Argument formulated in Proslogion is really interesting it's had to undergo some changes in order to stay logically correct. I believe Alvin Plantinga has the latest version of this argument which would be outlined in his book The Ontological Argument from Anselm to Modern Philosophers.

The important thing is to understand the resources and arguments that you do have already so I'd definitely focus on logic and general philosophy of religion rather than more arguments and apologetical strategies. 

Edited by C. Ingram

My primary recommendations:

The Resurrection of Jesus by Mike Licona - great book defending the resurrection of Jesus.

The Historical Reliability of the Gospels by Craig Blomberg.

Scaling the Secular City by J.P Moreland (more popular level but still has a lot of good material)

I hear that Hans Küng's Does God Exist? is a very intriguing book. It engages in dialogue with the great atheist thinkers of Western civilization, and from the other books I have read by Küng, I do not imagine he will disappoint. 

A little part of me just died inside.

Anywho, A Summa of the Summa by Peter Kreeft is supposed to be an excellent summary of Aquinas' work in Summa Theologica although I haven't read it myself. The Five Proofs may come in handy as far as apologetics is concerned.

A little part of me just died inside.

Father Küng is still a priest in good standing with the Church, even if he is somewhat outside the party-circle. I do not assent with him on every issue. I am in agreement with him about the Magisterium, but I do think his historical-critical approach to tradition is always helpful. Sometimes he slips into a Protestant mind-set, which I do not care for.

Guest JAG

If you want a more story-based philosophical apologetic, try The Everlasting Man or Orthadoxy by G.K. Chesterton.  If you want an introduction, read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - or for a really fun compilation of topical essays - God in the Dock.

Although I have some of the more modern apologetic works, I have a hard time gravitating away from the early 20th century.  I feel like it was a time where post-modernism was starting to rage against modernism, and swaths of great literature was being written to combat it.  

If you want a more story-based philosophical apologetic, try The Everlasting Man or Orthadoxy by G.K. Chesterton.  If you want an introduction, read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - or for a really fun compilation of topical essays - God in the Dock.

Although I have some of the more modern apologetic works, I have a hard time gravitating away from the early 20th century.  I feel like it was a time where post-modernism was starting to rage against modernism, and swaths of great literature was being written to combat it.  

And now it has begun to swing in the opposite direction. A whole new cadre of postmodern, Christian theologians have arisen to combat a materialism of the enlightenment and modernist culture.

Guest JAG

And now it has begun to swing in the opposite direction. A whole new cadre of postmodern, Christian theologians have arisen to combat a materialism of the enlightenment and modernist culture.

Christians have always written against materialism.  You can't be both a materialist and believe in the spiritual...

Christians have always written against materialism.  You can't be both a materialist and believe in the spiritual...

Such is not my point. My point was that postmodernism is increasingly becoming associated with religion and belief in God, rather than atheism. Most of the atheists I have had the pleasure of meeting are very skeptical of postmodern philosophy, because it opens the door for believe in God.