Yoda

Star Wars Episode 7 Cast Announced

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

We're now officially getting the original three protagonists in the new Star Wars film.

Even though they're far too old, I'm guessing they're going to be older and wiser mentors to the new recruits. Hopefully they won't steal too much attention from the new team which is the future of Star Wars.

:starwars:

This movie can either go really good, or really bad. There's no in between. I've always been a star wars fan, so I'm hoping for the best.

Boooooooooooooooooooo.

Star Wars is fine as is. Leave it alone.

Also, they cancelled Almost Human, which is unforgivable.

Guest JAG

JJ Abrams will bring it through.  What he has done for the Star Trek franchise is unbelievable. 

Boooooooooooooooooooo.

The movie could be really good, even if it's not as good as ANH or ESB.

It couldn't possibly be worse than TPM (I hope).

I just take this position: I disliked ALL the starwars movies so they have nowhere to go but up for me. 

And J.J. Abrams is a boss.

Boooooooooooooooooooo.

I only watch Star Wars for the cool special effects and fight scenes, so I cannot sympathize with you here. I am looking forward to an epic space battle sequence (hopefully).

Edited by Wesker

That is my reaction Abi <3

He's so gloriously perfect in every way *squee* 

My only problem with these films is that they decided to make the EU non-canon. Some of the books were really good and added so much more to the universe than what was previously there to the point I prefer it to the films. It'll be so weird seeing Han not completely depressed and as jober as a sudge. 

He's so gloriously perfect in every way *squee* 

My only problem with these films is that they decided to make the EU non-canon. Some of the books were really good and added so much more to the universe than what was previously there to the point I prefer it to the films. It'll be so weird seeing Han not completely depressed and as jober as a sudge. 

Yeah, but it's not like you can't enjoy the EU as it is. You just need to take it in context and hopefully they'll incorporate stuff from the EU into their movies. 

Wesker:

I only watch Star Wars for the cool special effects and fight scenes, so I cannot sympathize with you here. I am looking forward to an epic space battle sequence (hopefully).

There will definitely be cool special effects and fight scenes, but I hope the lightsaber duels are more like the ones from the Original Trilogy. The prequel trilogy duels had much more gymnastics but not the same emotional impact.

Slycooper:

Another way of seeing it would be to say that the EU is canon in a separate (partially overlapping) Star Wars universe. :P

Furthermore, there's a lot of Star Wars fans who have their own version of what's "canon" (i.e. the original movies not the "special editions" and not the prequels). We can still consider the EU canon even if it's "officially" not. I'm sure if the new movie is terrible a lot of people will say it never happened.

They could still incorporate some of the characters from the EU though, even if it's only the characters and not the stories. Wouldn't it be great to see Grand Admiral Thrawn in a movie?

:starwars:

Furthermore, there's a lot of Star Wars fans who have their own version of what's "canon" (i.e. the original movies not the "special editions" and not the prequels). We can still consider the EU canon even if it's "officially" not. I'm sure if the new movie is terrible a lot of people will say it never happened.

It's basically the same situation the EU was in before. George Lucas has always said that only the movies were in "G-Canon". Of course now, The Clone Wars is in G-Canon as well. And presumably any future EU pieces. So unfortunately what we can take away from it all is that the Star Wars Christmas special is no longer in G-Canon, drat ;).

As far as the casting goes, I'm pretty pleased with mostly unknowns. Also, everyone on the casting list so far has a butt load of talent. So at least on the acting end, we should be fairly solid.

The Clone Wars animated TV show is G-Cannon now?

That makes me so happy! Now we can finally learn what happened to Ahsoka and Darth Maul! 

Seems like there aren't any women in a galaxy far far away.

Two ladies? Really? OUT OF THIRTEEN ACTORS?!

YOU CANNOT DISTRACT ME WITH PRETTY GINGERS, JJ ABRAMS. 

Also, the only unbelievable thing Abrams did to the Star Trek reboot is the unbelievable amount of lens flares. 

Sure fire way to make something awesome: More ladies. Abrams has failed from the start.

Also, the only unbelievable thing Abrams did to the Star Trek reboot is the unbelievable amount of lens flares.

This makes me think Honest Trailers. It's so true, though.

YOU CANNOT DISTRACT ME WITH PRETTY GINGERS, JJ ABRAMS. 

Sure fire way to make something awesome: More ladies. Abrams has failed from the start.

Bro, you gotta calm down a bit. Watch this: 

JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan say very clearly, "As casting announcements continue." This means they're not done telling us everyone who is going to be in the upcoming movie. I'm hoping beyond hope they'll release the name of a few more girls, mostly because Mara Jade is my favorite Star Wars character of all time and she obviously doesn't have an actress yet in this line up. They can't make a Star Wars movie, not on the scope they want with just 13 actors (half of which might just be cameos of old characters vaguely reprising roles), so just be patient and wait. 

Now time to over analyze who might be who in the movie based on essentially nothing but my hopes from my knowledge of the EU.

We're probably gonna get the Solo twins in this movie. I think they'd be crazy not not work them in, so Ridley is going to be half of the twin pair with either Gleeson or Driver as the other half. I'm hoping it's Driver because I'm really hoping that Gleeson is Ben Skywalker and he gets his red hair from his mother (Mara Jade), who I'm simply hoping they didn't release as an actress because they're trying to be sneaky about it. That leaves Boyega, who I think is going to be a best friend to the main group, probably a Jedi, and most likely best friends with the Solo twins and Ben. Also maybe love interest for Ridley. I'm not sure how necessary they think that is.

This leaves Serkis, Isaac, and von Sydow left out in the cold.  Serkis is a pretty good voice actor and has been really into motion capture stuff recently. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they brought him in to voice some sort of CGI character they planned on making, but I can't think of who that could be now. Otherwise, to me, he's a pretty good villain. I dunno, it could just be me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at least a sleazeball character, a smuggler like Talon Karrde? That'd be awesome

Isaac, I really know nothing about. I've never seen anything with him in it to be honest. The only thing I can hope in my fan-theory way is that he's a bounty hunter related to Boba somehow, but that's mostly because I'm trying to shoe-horn Boba Fett into the story because I love him.

As far as von Sydow goes. We've got three options. Either we've got a Sith Lord in him (He's got the look of one), a politician (Star Wars wouldn't be the series it is without the political side of things), or a general in the New Republic that we've forgotten/over looked. President of the New Republic maybe?  If Leia's not handling that job right now. Gram Bel Iblis brought to life in the movie? Probably not, but that'd be awesome because I do love me some Bel Iblis. I dunno, there are litreally tons of possibilities. It's all very exciting.

I hope it gives us what we really need though, more flushing out of the universe. Now that we've lost everything except for the movies and the Clone Wars TV show, the Star Wars Universe is in desperate need of having the Universe flushed out more and given character to places because without the EU, it's a pretty flat Universe.

Also on my wish list that they probably won't do is a young Sith. Not a Sith Lord, but a young Sith because honestly, I'm tired of these old geezers being the orchestrators of evil. If passion, rashness, lust for power draws people to the dark side, I wanna see a teenager or someone drawn to it without the push of some mentor (like Anakin) or anything like that. Maybe, I'd be okay with Force Ghost of the Emperor or something guiding one of the new generation down that path, but I want one of the offspring to at least be tempted to go down to the dark side by the dark side's power alone. 

Zabby:

Also on my wish list that they probably won't do is a young Sith. Not a Sith Lord, but a young Sith because honestly, I'm tired of these old geezers being the orchestrators of evil. If passion, rashness, lust for power draws people to the dark side, I wanna see a teenager or someone drawn to it without the push of some mentor (like Anakin) or anything like that. Maybe, I'd be okay with Force Ghost of the Emperor or something guiding one of the new generation down that path, but I want one of the offspring to at least be tempted to go down to the dark side by the dark side's power alone.

Everyone wants to see a lightsaber duel, so there will need to be a bad character who is strong with the force and can wield one even if it's not a Sith. But if it's a "young Sith" they may not be threatening enough.

Radical Edward:

The numerical number isn't as important as what their role in the movie is. The two female characters could be very important to the plot and take up lots of screen time, compared to most of the 11 male actors.

In the original trilogy, the empire was sexist and seemed to only hire men. Hence there was a shortage of women in those films. If the villains are the empire, that might be another reason for episode 7.

Bro, you gotta calm down a bit. Watch this: 

JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan say very clearly, "As casting announcements continue." This means they're not done telling us everyone who is going to be in the upcoming movie. I'm hoping beyond hope they'll release the name of a few more girls, mostly because Mara Jade is my favorite Star Wars character of all time and she obviously doesn't have an actress yet in this line up. They can't make a Star Wars movie, not on the scope they want with just 13 actors (half of which might just be cameos of old characters vaguely reprising roles), so just be patient and wait. 

Now time to over analyze who might be who in the movie based on essentially nothing but my hopes from my knowledge of the EU.

We're probably gonna get the Solo twins in this movie. I think they'd be crazy not not work them in, so Ridley is going to be half of the twin pair with either Gleeson or Driver as the other half. I'm hoping it's Driver because I'm really hoping that Gleeson is Ben Skywalker and he gets his red hair from his mother (Mara Jade), who I'm simply hoping they didn't release as an actress because they're trying to be sneaky about it. That leaves Boyega, who I think is going to be a best friend to the main group, probably a Jedi, and most likely best friends with the Solo twins and Ben. Also maybe love interest for Ridley. I'm not sure how necessary they think that is.

This leaves Serkis, Isaac, and von Sydow left out in the cold.  Serkis is a pretty good voice actor and has been really into motion capture stuff recently. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they brought him in to voice some sort of CGI character they planned on making, but I can't think of who that could be now. Otherwise, to me, he's a pretty good villain. I dunno, it could just be me, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing at least a sleazeball character, a smuggler like Talon Karrde? That'd be awesome

Isaac, I really know nothing about. I've never seen anything with him in it to be honest. The only thing I can hope in my fan-theory way is that he's a bounty hunter related to Boba somehow, but that's mostly because I'm trying to shoe-horn Boba Fett into the story because I love him.

As far as von Sydow goes. We've got three options. Either we've got a Sith Lord in him (He's got the look of one), a politician (Star Wars wouldn't be the series it is without the political side of things), or a general in the New Republic that we've forgotten/over looked. President of the New Republic maybe?  If Leia's not handling that job right now. Gram Bel Iblis brought to life in the movie? Probably not, but that'd be awesome because I do love me some Bel Iblis. I dunno, there are litreally tons of possibilities. It's all very exciting.

I hope it gives us what we really need though, more flushing out of the universe. Now that we've lost everything except for the movies and the Clone Wars TV show, the Star Wars Universe is in desperate need of having the Universe flushed out more and given character to places because without the EU, it's a pretty flat Universe.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that George Lucas said the extended universe is non-canon. Only the movies at this point are, as far as Lucas Films is concerned, 100% what happened in the Star Wars franchise.

The numerical number isn't as important as what their role in the movie is. The two female characters could be very important to the plot and take up lots of screen time, compared to most of the 11 male actors.

In the original trilogy, the empire was sexist and seemed to only hire men. Hence there was a shortage of women in those films. If the villains are the empire, that might be another reason for episode 7.

I disagree. There is a severe shortage of female characters in the Star Wars universe. More is always better. If there is one women with an important part of the plot, that doesn't change the fact that there is only one woman. From a writing standpoint, it's lazy and smacks of some subconscious sexism: why aren't there more women? What was going through the writer's minds when they wrote it that they decided there would be four or five times as many men as there are women? As a writer, I feel that there is no excuse for a lack of diversity among your characters. There is only laziness. We don't need more angsty white men. We need more women, more people of color, and there is no excuse not to have at a least a comparable number of women and people of color in your cast.

Not to mention from a practical standpoint, it's just not realistic. Are we really supposed to believe that, in a galaxy far far away, a futuristic setting with aliens and technology and thousands of years of recorded history and culture, that there's still the exact same prejudices? That there are so few women of import? 

The reason there wasn't women in the original trilogy wasn't because the Empire was sexist. It's because the writers were. There are several instances where they filmed female pilots and simply cut them out; there are stills of these scenes, but they've never appeared in any of the releases.

TL;DR As a writer, I feel there is no excuse for a lack of diversity, period. There is only laziness.

Edited by Radical Edward

Yoda:

Everyone wants to see a lightsaber duel, so there will need to be a bad character who is strong with the force and can wield one even if it's not a Sith. But if it's a "young Sith" they may not be threatening enough.

Fair enough, fair enough. I guess my hopes aren't exactly realistic on what the average person wants when they walk into these movies. I forget that I'm in love with the universe and world building in Star Wars rather than the cool effects and other stuff.

Chloe:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that George Lucas said the extended universe is non-canon. Only the movies at this point are, as far as Lucas Films is concerned, 100% what happened in the Star Wars franchise.

Please refer to this for what is currently considered canon. George Lucas's opinion on the issue no longer matters. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/28/star-wars-expanded-universe-is-now-canon-1385235?lt_source=external,manual

While the 6 movies and the Clone Wars TV show are the only canonical parts of Star Wars at this moment in time, my post wasn't about what's canonical or not. It's about what I hope will happen. I'm positive that the writers and directors for the new Star Wars Universe aren't going to throw out the baby with the bath water on this one. It's like watching the Marvel Universe Movies. Sure, they're a completely different universe from the comics, so they don't have to follow anything that the comics have laid out before them, but they are following it close enough that people who have read the source material get into arguments and guess about what's going to happen. I think that while they can't even imagine retaining everything from the vast world of the EU, that they will try to pull in familiar characters, relationships, and even plots into the movie and make these guys canonical again. That's just my personal hope. It could not happen at all, I guess, but then I would be pretty disappointed.

Chloe:

Please refer to this for what is currently considered canon. George Lucas's opinion on the issue no longer matters. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/28/star-wars-expanded-universe-is-now-canon-1385235?lt_source=external,manual

While the 6 movies and the Clone Wars TV show are the only canonical parts of Star Wars at this moment in time, my post wasn't about what's canonical or not. It's about what I hope will happen. I'm positive that the writers and directors for the new Star Wars Universe aren't going to throw out the baby with the bath water on this one. It's like watching the Marvel Universe Movies. Sure, they're a completely different universe from the comics, so they don't have to follow anything that the comics have laid out before them, but they are following it close enough that people who have read the source material get into arguments and guess about what's going to happen. I think that while they can't even imagine retaining everything from the vast world of the EU, that they will try to pull in familiar characters, relationships, and even plots into the movie and make these guys canonical again. That's just my personal hope. It could not happen at all, I guess, but then I would be pretty disappointed.

Fair enough. I'm not overly fond of JJ Abram's last reboot though; a lot of what he did left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I just don't really trust him at this point.

This movie can either go really good, or really bad. There's no in between. I've always been a star wars fan, so I'm hoping for the best.

I feel the same way, except for the always having been a fan. I prefer Star Trek, but I'm not super into that either (I.e I don't cosplay or anything).

Fair enough. I'm not overly fond of JJ Abram's last reboot though; a lot of what he did left a bad taste in my mouth. I guess I just don't really trust him at this point.

To be fair, I can't remember the first Star Trek Movie. I didn't watch it very closely, and I haven't seen Into Darkness. My only opinion on JJ Abram's stuff is that Star Trek isn't really suited for a movie series. That's not really what the franchise was built on or meant for, so I am not very shocked that the movies haven't been that great. They really should go back to the weekly show format that they've always had.