Sign in to follow this  
slycooper

Eurosceptic 'earthquake' rocks EU elections

Eurosceptic and far-right parties have seized ground in elections to the European parliament, in what France's PM called a "political earthquake".

The French National Front and UK Independence Party both performed strongly, while the three big centrist blocs in parliament all lost seats.

The outcome means a greater say for those who want to cut back the EU's powers, or abolish it completely.

But EU supporters will be pleased that election turnout was slightly higher.

It was 43.1%, according to provisional European Parliament figures. That would be the first time turnout had not fallen since the previous election - but would only be an improvement of 0.1%.

Read More at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27559714

B-b-b-but, Europe was supposed to be all progressive and cool. What are you doing guys.

Guuuys.

Stahp.

-

I guess on the up side, maybe seeing UKIP win will push people into voting more to stop them.... Aaand i'm struggling for other positives. At least most MEPs don't bother even going so hopefully UKIPs guys will be just as bad. As Stewart Lee said, voting UKIP as a protest is like soiling your bed to complain about the hotel's cleaning service and then realising you've got to sleep in a soiled bed.

Also if anyone has been following the elections here, you'll probably have seen how truly dire the coverage was. The amount of attention UKIP got while everyone else was ignored and how every week there was a story about how popular they are, why they're popular, how Farage is such a charming raggamuffin. Ugh. Even with the local elections, you'd have thought the entire country voted UKIP with all the articles about their historical win and yet in most of the UK they didn't even do that well (But then London=the entire Country in most news outlets). 

Edited by slycooper

Guest JAG

Go UKIP! Nigel Farage for the win!

Thank goodness Nick Griffin lost. 

UKIP are a passing fad. They are a one issue party - if we are delivered the EU referendum and Britain votes to remain a part of the EU, what then? They have nothing. Their manifesto will destroy the good things we've managed to cling onto - read, for example, what they want to do with the NHS. They're a useless load of drivel. 

Re: the media, you're absolutely right, Abi. We're hearing about how 1/3 of the EP are nut jobs, and forgetting that normal, sane human beings occupy the other 2/3 seats. 

Guest JAG

They actually have a good platform of policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Independence_Party#Policies

Getting rid of the inheritance tax is wise.

Getting out of the European Union is wise. *think if you had adopted the Euro!*

Taking power from a centralized department of health and giving it to local bodies will cut unnecessary costs and allow for discerning allocation.

Increasing spending on defense is wise now that Russia is being a jerk.

Plus you get Nigel Farage who will defend The United Kingdom's rights on a national stage like a pit bull.  That guy is da bomb.

I don't read the Daily Mail.

I also tend not to read the Wikipedia article on political parties, and instead actually read their manifesto. Farage has completely disowned the 2010 General Election manifesto and UKIP are yet to release a new one; let's work off their 2014 Local and European manifestos. 

Why is getting out of the European Union wise? That's a question that's not being answered here. Saying "what if we had joined the Euro" is redundant because we didn't; we are not part of the single-currency, and we're not going to be. That's not the main feature of the European Union. The EU offers me so. much. opportunity upon leaving university - I'd be mad to want to leave given the job opportunities it affords. This is another problem with UKIP - it focusses on a particular demographic (white, middle-class and middle-aged) and ignores the young voting base who want to stay in Europe because it is a key part of our future; their manifestos just don't cater to our needs. Why vote for a party that are out of touch? 

The NHS is much more complex than just "The Department of Health runs everything." For the most part, healthcare is already in the hands of local authorities. The Labour government under Blair replaced Community Health Councils (CHCs) in 2003 with PCTs - Primary Care Trusts. They are not elected (thank heavens), and work alongside various other structures, but to suggest bringing in "Community Health Boards" is pretty much suggesting something that's existed for a long time. Reform PCTs, bring back CHCs - sure. But, they're not actually suggesting anything new...

I don't like Farage because I'm not a right-wing nut job who wants to remove so much of what's good about the UK. 

Guest JAG

I don't read the Daily Mail.

I also tend not to read the Wikipedia article on political parties, and instead actually read their manifesto. Farage has completely disowned the 2010 General Election manifesto and UKIP are yet to release a new one; let's work off their 2014 Local and European manifestos. 

Why is getting out of the European Union wise? That's a question that's not being answered here. Saying "what if we had joined the Euro" is redundant because we didn't; we are not part of the single-currency, and we're not going to be. That's not the main feature of the European Union. The EU offers me so. much. opportunity upon leaving university - I'd be mad to want to leave given the job opportunities it affords. This is another problem with UKIP - it focusses on a particular demographic (white, middle-class and middle-aged) and ignores the young voting base who want to stay in Europe because it is a key part of our future; their manifestos just don't cater to our needs. Why vote for a party that are out of touch? 

The NHS is much more complex than just "The Department of Health runs everything." For the most part, healthcare is already in the hands of local authorities. The Labour government under Blair replaced Community Health Councils (CHCs) in 2003 with PCTs - Primary Care Trusts. They are not elected (thank heavens), and work alongside various other structures, but to suggest bringing in "Community Health Boards" is pretty much suggesting something that's existed for a long time. Reform PCTs, bring back CHCs - sure. But, they're not actually suggesting anything new...

I don't like Farage because I'm not a right-wing nut job who wants to remove so much of what's good about the UK. 

Lol, "I don't read the daily mail" - I asked you to look at a picture silly! :P

Also, that Wiki article takes stances from the UKIP website and combines them with interview quotes with party members.  Sources are at the bottom.  You don't need to be afraid of wikipedia.

Had you have joined the Euro, your currency would be worth less today and you'd have been dealing with the collapse of Greece more heavily. 

I mean, cmon, just watch this.  How could you NOT want to vote for this guy? 

Seriously waaatttttcchhh, he's fighting for YOU: 

Here's an extra in case you just want more awesome! 

Lol, "I don't read the daily mail" - I asked you to look at a picture silly! :P

Also, that Wiki article takes stances from the UKIP website and combines them with interview quotes with party members.  Sources are at the bottom.  You don't need to be afraid of wikipedia.

Had you have joined the Euro, your currency would be worth less today and you'd have been dealing with the collapse of Greece more heavily. 

I mean, cmon, just watch this.  How could you NOT want to vote for this guy? 

Seriously waaatttttcchhh, he's fighting for YOU: 

Here's an extra in case you just want more awesome! 

Yeah, ok, I'm just going to let you troll. 

I hate the preview post we have here, it always looses half my text ;____; For the record everything in my post was sourced but seeing it all got lost and i'm starting placement tomorrow sooo.. Myah. 

The thing is though JAG, UKIP is a cult of personality. Take away Farage (who has done for the most part a good job of appearing as 'one of the blokes') and you have nothing and no one to hold up as a shinning example of what you want in government. We've had an MEP against sending aid to 'bongo bongo land', a newly elected councillor who called immigrants 'scum', homosexuals 'perverts' and muslims as those 'jabbering in an alien voice' and men who 'wear their pyjamas'. They have accepted cash from a donor who said marital rape doesn't exist as 'once a woman accepts, she accepts', have other members who believe women shouldn't be promoted to company boards because they aren't as good as men in chess and poker, or who state that Italy's first black minister is best served as a housekeeper as she would impose African Tribal ritual on the Country. Course less we forget the man who forwarded the idea of compulsory abortions for fetuses found with Down's or spina bifida. The list goes on.These are the people UKIP attracts and while all parties have their bad eggs UKIP has too many to be an exception.

But even if you exclude the people who make up the party, you still have a leader who still hangs associates with the likes of Umberto Bossi and whose European MPs claimed £800,000 in expenses and yet had the worse attendance rating for the job they are paid to do out of all the parties. It is also has anti-environmental policies, denies climate change, anti-gay rights and basically seeks to make a scapegoat out of the poor and those of foreign nationalities (although to be fair, nearly all the parties do although they don't use 'a parasitic underclass of scroungers' on their website to describe claimants). Sadly their policies appeal to the Daily Mail reader in us who want to view people as 'others' where we are the victims as the hard working white people. It's so truly sad the worldview they propagate in their flyers and how readily we are to join them in hating our neighbours because they're taking our money by being poor and sick and not going back to bongo bongo land.

Oh and on a personal note, they want to get rid of nursing as a degree profession which shows how truly out of touch they are with healthcare and how to run the NHS.

/Wow that was ranty, sorry about that guys ^-^' Stressful day. G'night! 

Edited by slycooper

This article is a bit Anglocentric, perhaps...? Though, I suppose you Brits are the only English speakers in the EU...

I don't know very much about UKIP, other than that it exists and its leader is a boss, but they seem like a UK version of America's Libertarian Party, which has much less success in elections over here across the pond because we sure love our government spending here in America. Yum yum!

...that being said, I don't intend to vote for the Libertarian Party as they focus too much on legalizing cannabis (a bad idea) and legalizing gay marriage across the country (which I oppose).

This article is a bit Anglocentric, perhaps...? Though, I suppose you Brits are the only English speakers in the EU...

I don't know very much about UKIP, other than that it exists and its leader is a boss, but they seem like a UK version of America's Libertarian Party, which has much less success in elections over here across the pond because we sure love our government spending here in America. Yum yum!

...that being said, I don't intend to vote for the Libertarian Party as they focus too much on legalizing cannabis (a bad idea) and legalizing gay marriage across the country (which I oppose).

That was me trying to get one which focused on the rest of Europe as well =P I prefer to use British sources as I know their bias and how trustworthy they are, so BBC it was as almost everywhere else just cared about us at time of posting.

To be honest if you asked people what UKIP stood for, most couldn't tell you outside their immigration policy so it wouldn't matter if they were communist, it's not why people voted for them... Although having said that a fair few are disillusioned Thatcherite conservatives.