Sign in to follow this  
goxfiles

Father Fined $200, Sentenced to One Year of Probation for Making His 8-Year-Old Son Walk a Mile Home From School

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/30/father-fined-200-sentenced-to-one-year-of-probation-for-making-his-8-year-old-son-walk-a-mile-home-from-school/

A few snippets:

When Robert De Mond asked his son last year why he was placed in timeout and didn’t get a straight answer, he pulled over, had the 8-year-old hop out of the car, then told him to walk the rest of the way home.

The father is now answering for his “old-school punishment” with a fine and probation.

What do you guys think? Wise or ridiculous? Edited by goxfiles

Guest Mike Spero

Well, I for one would never let my eight year-old child walk around town alone, that's for sure. There's way too much danger in this "day-and-age", with all the amber alerts and such. But even still, that doesn't make this abuse, children walking around is a fully acceptable part of our culture. I live by an elementary school and see at least sixty kids eight and under walking to school every day, why are none of their parents fined hundreds of dollars? When did we make a "child walking alone" law, and why was no one informed? If you ask me, this father is just disciplining his child, in a way that (though I would not have chosen it) was in no way abusive. So why on earth would they fine him? This is frankly ridiculous. And we wonder why so many kids grow up to be spoiled brats or do drugs/kill/rape, when parents aren't legally allowed to even teach their children that there's a consequence for their negative actions anymore. How are children supposed to grow up knowing that there are repercussions for what they choose to do if parents can't punish them in their developmental stages? And I'm not just saying this because "I don't know what it's like" or whatever. I was brought up with the old school "One school call = spankings, writing "I will not..." thousands of times and until finished I couldn't eat, getting buzz-cut, sworn at, etc." when I was that age. There is such a thing as abuse and also such a thing as PARENTING YOUR CHILD. He made his kid walk home a mile, there's no issue here but the fact that we somehow have come to believe that children will raise themselves with huggles and gold stars being given out whenever they screw up. This was not an excess punishment or anywhere near abuse. And that's that.

What do you guys think? Wise or retarded?

(Also, I would refrain from using "retarded" as a word for "stupid." I've never known anyone who had issues with mental retardation, though I believe anyone who has would find that to be quite offensive. I know it's a saying and all, but still. It would probably be for the best if you used words like "dumb" or if you want to feel smart something like: "idiosyncratic". I just wanted to point out that though you don't mean it, you could be offending some people with that language.)

Edited by Mike Spero

I'd have made the kid scrub the floor with a toothbrush or something when he got home. Having a munchkin that small walk around alone isn't a wise idea.  Some old school punishments worked better in the 50's, like, that one. There's too many creeps around to be letting a kiddo walk around alone like that. Unless the guy followed him home in the truck and kept an eye on him that whole time. I'm guessing he didn't.

however, I do not think it's something to be FINED over, and it's certainly not abuse. Go away nanny government, go pry into something that's actually a problem, like say, sex slavery or legitimate abuse cases.

Didn't read any of your post after I saw this but:

Don't use this wording. It's insulting to those with intellectual disabilities.

Guest Mike Spero

Didn't read any of your post after I saw this but:

Don't use this wording. It's insulting to those with intellectual disabilities.

That's what I said at the end of my first reply. I really didn't expect anyone else to notice it o.o

I'd have made the kid scrub the floor with a toothbrush or something when he got home. Having a munchkin that small walk around alone isn't a wise idea.  Some old school punishments worked better in the 50's, like, that one. There's too many creeps around to be letting a kiddo walk around alone like that. Unless the guy followed him home in the truck and kept an eye on him that whole time. I'm guessing he didn't.

however, I do not think it's something to be FINED over, and it's certainly not abuse. Go away nanny government, go pry into something that's actually a problem, like say, sex slavery or legitimate abuse cases.

wlr7ys.jpg

Oh, for the love of all that is sweet and holy, edit this sentence, please.

Oh, for the love of all that is sweet and holy, edit this sentence, please.

All right. Changed.

Guest JAG

Guys, quit freaking out about his word usage.  You need to understand that words have various connotations depending on where you're at geographically.  In his area, or probably age group, retarded doesn't mean mentally handicapped.  It's like getting up in arms about calling someone dumb by saying it's offensive to those who can't speak, or getting angry about calling someone an idiot because it's offensive to those who can't vote. 

As for the punishment - no, a father shouldn't be fined for making his child walk.

Edited by JAG

As for the punishment - no, a father shouldn't be fined for making his child walk.

Not for making a child walk, but I do think he should get in trouble for parental negligence. A parent should not abandon his or her kid on a highway and tell them they need to make it home on their own. The parent should have driven alongside his kid, not just abandon him. I feel bad for the kid, who has such a miserable excuse for a Father.

Edited by Wesker

Guest JAG

Not for making a child walk, but I do think he should get in trouble for parental negligence. 

It would be hard to prove negligence when this was a disciplinary action.  The father obviously knew what he was doing, what his kid what capable of, and what the punishment would entail.  He had the kid walk down a road, not carve a path through the Congo.

My dad's favorite punishment when I was a kid was to make me sit on a stool and watch the clock, haha.  It was awful for a young boy who liked to move and do THINGS.  I believe I would have rather enjoyed walking down the street more than that.

Edited by JAG

It would be hard to prove negligence when this was a disciplinary action.  The father obviously knew what he was doing, what his kid what capable of, and what the punishment would entail.  He had the kid walk down a road, not carve a path through the Congo.

My dad's favorite punishment when I was a kid was to make me sit on a stool and watch the clock, haha.  It was awful for a young boy who liked to move and do THINGS.  I believe I would have rather enjoyed walking down the street more than that.

It is not the disciplinary part that I have a problem with, but the fact that he is abandoning his kid on the side of a highway. And he obviously didn't know what he was doing. Watching the clock on a stool involves no real danger. In fact, I might use that tactic if I have a child.

Edited by Wesker

Guest JAG

It is not the disciplinary part that I have a problem with, but the fact that he is abandoning his kid on the side of a highway. And he obviously didn't know what he was doing. Watching the clock on a stool involves no real danger. In fact, I might use that tactic if I have a child.

I recommend the stool tactic.  It taught me the importance of a second :P

Guys, quit freaking out about his word usage.  You need to understand that words have various connotations depending on where you're at geographically.  In his area, or probably age group, retarded doesn't mean mentally handicapped.  It's like getting up in arms about calling someone dumb by saying it's offensive to those who can't speak, or getting angry about calling someone an idiot because it's offensive to those who can't vote. 

Sorry, I'll admit that my snapping may have been uncharitable but this is just incorrect. I work with Intellectually Disabled children and adults every week, its really is harmful. Yea it's a pain because the wordage changes and soon enough calling someone ID will be a slur... but still. Things such as "idiot" and "dumb" are further removed from the individuals themselves and so not as damaging. Still, My apologies to the OP for harshness.

But back on the story, I kind of chuckled a bit because... well... I've had basically the exact same thing done to me when I was maybe about 10 or 11. Not on the side of a highway however, and in a very safe area. I don't know that I would call this negligence but it does show a major lapse in judgement on the father's part. Highways are dangerous and being just dropped off on the side of a street (especially if the kid has never walked it themselves before) can be terrifying. I'm not one to give in to false danger hypes (boogy man syndrome I guess) but you gotta be sensible. :-P He should have at least followed behind the kid.

Edited by Marley

Guest Mike Spero

I would disagree with this. We were very nice to him about it. I even said something like "I know it's just a saying", and was very understanding and polite. I didn't notice anyone "getting up in arms." Just because it's slang doesn't mean it can't offend someone. In my region, teenage vernacular consists of using "raped" for "humiliated/beaten", "gay" for "stupid". and we also use "retarded" in this same way, etc. etc. Now does that mean it's okay to stand up and shout "That retarded gaywad just got raped!" and say it isn't your fault if you are offending anyone who cares for someone with retardation, who was victimized or is put down for his or her sexuality? So if someone's child, sibling or friend was just diagnosed with a mental retardation and comes on CTF and sees: "Is this retarded?" would that spark up any good feelings? We were just trying to be polite and let him know that though he means it innocently and as just a saying, he should refrain from using things like as they might horribly offend someone against his purpose. I don't think we were being unfair or angry at all for trying to explain to him he was inadvertently acting offensively. If you had a metaphoric middle finger painted on your face and didn't know, wouldn't you want someone to tell you?

I think the father being fined $200 and put on probation was a legitimate punishment. Not for child abuse, but for child negligence. 

1) Making you're child walk by himself on busy road is not safe. He could easily get hit by a car if he's not careful. If this was in a residential area it wouldn't be an issue.

2) There's the whole stranger thing. The US is actually safer now than in the days when kids what walk alone by themselves, but still. Now, if his dad was following slowly behind that wouldn't be an issue. I don't think parents should get  punished for letting their kid walk alone, but I don't think it's a good idea for parents to allow it. And I definitely don't think it's a good punishment. 

So if this dad had made his son walk home in residential area while he slowly drove watching him I don't think that should be an issue. But leaving your kid on a busy rode by themselves is really bad way to punish them. I don't think the father had bad intentions, but not having bad intentions does not make something okay. 

Sorry, I'll admit that my snapping may have been uncharitable but this is just incorrect. I work with Intellectually Disabled children and adults every week, its really is harmful. Yea it's a pain because the wordage changes and soon enough calling someone ID will be a slur... but still. Things such as "idiot" and "dumb" are further removed from the individuals themselves and so not as damaging. Still, My apologies to the OP for harshness.

I would disagree with this. We were very nice to him about it. I even said something like "I know it's just a saying", and was very understanding and polite. I didn't notice anyone "getting up in arms." Just because it's slang doesn't mean it can't offend someone. In my region, teenage vernacular consists of using "raped" for "humiliated/beaten", "gay" for "stupid". and we also use "retarded" in this same way, etc. etc. Now does that mean it's okay to stand up and shout "That retarded gaywad just got raped!" and say it isn't your fault if you are offending anyone who cares for someone with retardation, who was victimized or is put down for his or her sexuality? So if someone's child, sibling or friend was just diagnosed with a mental retardation and comes on CTF and sees: "Is this retarded?" would that spark up any good feelings? We were just trying to be polite and let him know that though he means it innocently and as just a saying, he should refrain from using things like as they might horribly offend someone against his purpose. I don't think we were being unfair or angry at all for trying to explain to him he was inadvertently acting offensively. If you had a metaphoric middle finger painted on your face and didn't know, wouldn't you want someone to tell you?

QFT!

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

"When the incident happened last October, De Mond told the news station, he drove back to the Kuhio Highway, which has ample room on the shoulder but no official sidewalk, he couldn’t find his son: Someone had spotted the boy crying, picked him up and called the police. The child was brought back to the school, according to the Honolulu Star Advertiser. "

Sorry, I'm posting from my phone so I can't quite get the formatting correct.

That paragraph explains why this case crosses the line into being negligence or even endangering the welfare of a child.

1. This is an actual highway, and yes there is a shoulder for the kid to walk on, but no real sidewalk. This is unsafe. Even if the kid is staying on the shoulder, how many horrible and distracted drivers could be on the road that might not see the little guy walking.

2. His kiddo didn't know how to get home. This was dangerous to begin with, but even if the kid had the sense to stay safe, he didn't know where to go. Either dad doesn't know his kid well enough to realize this, which is pure negligence, or he thought is was ok to put the little guy in a terrifying and traumatic experience to bring a point home, which would be abusive. Kids do stupid things when they are frightened and panicky. Thank God a police officer found this child and not someone that could have exploited him.

This isn't a case of "nanny government" this is a case of "wow a child was put in an extremely dangerous situation and steps must be taken to assure his on-going safety and well-being since basic parental skills are clearly diminished in this case. I certainly hope additional consequences, like court ordered parenting classes and a referral to the local child welfare agency will also take place.

I think this was handled appropriately.

~ signed CTF's resident nanny government representative

"When the incident happened last October, De Mond told the news station, he drove back to the Kuhio Highway, which has ample room on the shoulder but no official sidewalk, he couldn’t find his son: Someone had spotted the boy crying, picked him up and called the police. The child was brought back to the school, according to the Honolulu Star Advertiser. "

That paragraph explains why this case crosses the line into being negligence or even endangering the welfare of a child.

1. This is an actual highway, and yes there is a shoulder for the kid to walk on, but no real sidewalk. This is unsafe. Even if the kid is staying on the shoulder, how many horrible and distracted drivers could be on the road that might not see the little guy walking.

2. His kiddo didn't know how to get home. This was dangerous to begin with, but even if the kid had the sense to stay safe, he didn't know where to go. Either dad doesn't know his kid well enough to realize this, which is pure negligence, or he thought is was ok to put the little guy in a terrifying and traumatic experience to bring a point home, which would be abusive. Kids do stupid things when they are frightened and panicky. Thank God a police officer found this child and not someone that could have exploited him.

This isn't a case of "nanny government" this is a case of "wow a child was put in an extremely dangerous situation and steps must be taken to assure his on-going safety and well-being since basic parental skills are clearly diminished in this case. I certainly hope additional consequences, like court ordered parenting classes and a referral to the local child welfare agency will also take place.

Preach. 

Guest JAG

Here's the issue.  You're telling someone else how to parent their children, and you're using the government to enforce your beliefs.  Seriously, people literally petition the government to outlaw spanking.

Was this kid harmed? No.  Did his dad punish him out of spite, or discipline? Obviously discipline.  What has this kid learned?  "If I cry, daddy will get in trouble for disciplining me."

Your kids are going to have to one day associate with mine, and while yours are suing you and calling the cops on you for putting them in time-out (Matthew 10:21), mine are going to be face-palming in disbelief.

Edited by JAG

Here's the issue.  You're literally telling someone else how to parent their children, and you're using the government to enforce your beliefs.  Seriously, people literally petition the government to outlaw spanking.

Was this kid harmed? No.  Did his dad punish him out of spite, or discipline? Obviously discipline.  What has this kid learned?  "If I cry, daddy will get in trouble for disciplining me."

Your kids are going to have to one day associate with mine, and while yours are suing you and calling the cops on you for putting them in time-out (Matthew 10:21), mine are going to be face-palming in disbelief.

JAG, this may come as a shock to you, but there are other, better ways of punishing your children beyond hitting them or abandoning them on the side of a highway and telling them to walk a mile home when they apparently don't even know where home is.

My kids will be safe. I'm creative enough to figure out ways to discipline them that don't involve trauma or physical pain. Yours, assuming you do what this man did, could potentially be kidnapped by pedophiles and dumped on the side of the same highway you abandoned them on because you thought it would be clever to just kick them out of your car.

The issue is you don't seem to see the line between discipline and abuse. Abandoning your child on the side of the road, putting him through a traumatic and potentially life-threatening experience for the sake of "discipline" that could have been done safely at home, is not "discipline".

This child could have died. He could have been kidnapped. He could have been hit by a car. This man dumped his eight year old on the side of a busy highway because he wouldn't answer a question. That's insanity. This man willingly put his child in an incredibly dangerous situation, and he deserved to be punished for it. 

So yeah, I am telling someone how to parent their child and using the government to enforce those beliefs. See, I like it when kids survive to adulthood with minimal trauma. I like to think it's something most people prefer. And I like it when negligent, crappy parents are punished for treating their kids poorly. Sorry not sorry.

Edited by Radical Edward

Guest JAG

JAG, this may come as a shock to you, but there are other, better ways of punishing your children beyond hitting them or abandoning them on the side of a highway and telling them to walk a mile home when they apparently don't even know where home is.

My kids will be safe. I'm creative enough to figure out ways to discipline them that don't involve trauma or physical pain. Yours, assuming you do what this man did, could potentially be kidnapped by pedophiles and dumped on the side of the same highway you abandoned them on because you thought it would be clever to just kick them out of your car.

The issue is you don't seem to see the line between discipline and abuse. Abandoning your child on the side of the road, putting him through a traumatic and potentially life-threatening experience for the sake of "discipline" that could have been done safely at home, is not "discipline".

This child could have died. He could have been kidnapped. He could have been hit by a car. This man dumped his eight year old on the side of a busy highway because he wouldn't answer a question. That's insanity. This man willingly put his child in an incredibly dangerous situation, and he deserved to be punished for it. 

So yeah, I am telling someone how to parent their child and using the government to enforce those beliefs. See, I like it when kids survive to adulthood with minimal trauma. I like to think it's something most people prefer. And I like it when negligent, crappy parents are punished for treating their kids poorly. Sorry not sorry.

Boom, you're still trying to dictate someone else's parenting methods, and you're proud of it.  I could have sworn you were a liberal.  

Once again, nothing happened to the child aside from learning he can get away with not obeying his dad.  The line between discipline and abuse is quite clear - one is for the betterment of the child, and the other is done out of spite.  This was clearly done to better the child.

The child could have died anywhere at anytime doing anything.  That's not a good reason to avoid walking down a road.  You can die crossing the street - cross it anyway.  You can die working in a hospital - work there anyway.  Don't emasculate our society.  Do you know what's worse than walking down a busy road at the age of 8? Growing up to believe you can get away with anything if you cry.

I would have preferred that this guy take his kid home and give him a spanking. I'm not a fan of physical discipline, but at least his kid wouldn't have been put in imminent danger of being hot by a car, being lost, or being exploited.

Seriously spanking is a whole other debate. There no way that this could be considered appropriate parenting at all.

Guest Mike Spero

This puts the topic in a new light for me. BUT I still don't believe this deserved a fine. Again, make no mistake, I would never do something like this to my own child because I'm against the fine; I hopefully will never even spank my child, that would be a last-ditch effort if nothing else was working and my hand was forced. That being said, living in Nevada, I see little kids running around all over; not excluding bad parts of town like the casino/downtown areas. Sadly, I see children endangered worse than this on a daily basis by negligent parents, but nothing is fined against them. The reason being, the endangerment wasn't done as a "punishment." There is so much modern activism against parenting itself, that the second the negligence was defined as being part of a reprimand, it came down to a question of abuse. YES, he was a stupid prick for ever doing that to his child, it's horrible. YES, he should have been punished. But did the government give him equal treatment? If thr child wasn't crying because his daddy punished him, would the cop have even taken a second look? If our law system is anything as it's been defined in the Articles, and if the police there are anything like the police in Nevada and everywhere-else, then the answer is NO. So I do believe in the punishment just in and of itself, but not given the fact that it was only treated in the manner it was because the child was punished. The cop pulled over based on the fact the child was crying, and then he rightfully broke about his daddy punishing him, which is the only reason we're hearing about any of this. If you want to debate that's not the only reason the man was convicted, go to any non-gated community, and count ten minutes without seeing a little kid running past. Fine: Correct. Bias that created the fine: Incorrect.

Here's the issue.  You're telling someone else how to parent their children, and you're using the government to enforce your beliefs.  Seriously, people literally petition the government to outlaw spanking.

I disagree with this over the utter dismissal tone towards all of the father's actions. It is sick, and destroys and spoils children how little most parents care about them to not give a proper reprimand and actually RAISE them; but I would disagree with the father's actions and appropriate the fact it was wrong to one point: That the punishment wasn't safe. I don't believe "the child didn't know his way home, from less than a mile away from said home" as far as I could throw it (I could be wrong though), and I also don't know the neighborhood there. Parents all across the country send their children through much worse without batting an eyelash, and the justice system readily allows it. However, the fact that the highway didn't have a sidewalk and was very busy is something that bothers me, as well as the fact that no matter how "safe" a neighborhood may be, you never know. And finding your child's molested and dead body dumped in a river doesn't seem nearly worth making a firm point. Punishment is necessary, putting your child in harm's way is unacceptable. I still wouldn't push for the fine, however. I disagree with this specific punishment, but then again I see kids skipping down streets alone, next to brothels and casinos and strip clubs, every time I'm downtown. I think there was a lapse of justice in this, in the fact that "It's fine when everyone else does it and worse, but when he does it to try and help his child, he's fined because of the most scary word in the world to apathetic parents everywhere...

Punishment.

*fake shudder*

JAG, this may come as a shock to you, but there are other, better ways of punishing your children beyond hitting them or abandoning them on the side of a highway and telling them to walk a mile home when they apparently don't even know where home is.

Again, I agree to a point. I don't believe a punishment is made wrong simply because of physical pain, the Bible seconds that. THOUGH, I believe it is unnecessary until nothing else has worked. The last thing I would want to do to my child would be spanking, but if I've tried all else and he/she isn't learning, my hand would be forced. It's better than letting them grow up spoiled, and is our duty to them as good parents. Though I'd never have my father's "cherished belt collection" or anything of the sort. I genuinely hope it never comes to that for me, even once, but I also wouldn't shun it as parenting all together. The Bible says, "Spareth the rod, and spoil the child." Now to take this literally, unless you start caning your children, you're a bad parent. To take it at it's meaning, "If you don't punish your child, you're spoiling them AND physical reprimand is morally acceptable." I do not believe in any way that the verse encourages its necessity or advocates for those who abuse their children with it either.

Boom, you're still trying to dictate someone else's parenting methods, and you're proud of it.  I could have sworn you were a liberal.  

Once again, nothing happened to the child aside from learning he can get away with not obeying his dad.  The line between discipline and abuse is quite clear - one is for the betterment of the child, and the other is done out of spite.  This was clearly done to better the child.

The child could have died anywhere at anytime doing anything.  That's not a good reason to avoid walking down a road.  You can die crossing the street - cross it anyway.  You can die working in a hospital - work there anyway.  Don't emasculate our society.  Do you know what's worse than walking down a busy road at the age of 8? Growing up to believe you can get away with anything if you cry.

HEY! Play nice, you two. Don't turn this into an argument or make this thread aggro. You're both Brothers and claim to be intelligent enough to dictate how adults raise their children, I'd expect you both could act better than "This may come as a shock to you... sorry not sorry" and using the word "liberals" as basically an adjective. I am not a liberal, I'm actually known for opposing their mentality in fullness. Nonetheless, never use someone's beliefs to insult anyone, that is very disrespectful and not at all Christlike. Same goes to you Edward, please try not to be so sarcastic and sharp with him, whether or not you find his thinking insulting. Let's be respectful and mature here, and not act like we still need to be raised by someone ourselves.

Now, to the point: JAG, what you say is true, this fine is in excess, as I've stated before. But just because "nothing happened" and "anything could have happened" does not mean it wasn't dangerous. If I made my fiancee go walk through a gang war and use the retort "Hey! If she had stayed at home a plane could have crashed into the house and killed her, anything could have happened." does that mean I didn't just endanger her? Now, given, that is a rather exaggerated metaphor, but I believe it makes the point.

Like with all people, we have different views. Let's just try to convey them calmly and respectfully and in a manner that will glorify our God and not sin against our Brothers, please. Even though this topic hasn't blown up yet, I sense the aggro coming O.O

I would have preferred that this guy take his kid home and give him a spanking. I'm not a fan of physical discipline, but at least his kid wouldn't have been put in imminent danger of being hot by a car, being lost, or being exploited.

Seriously spanking is a whole other debate. There no way that this could be considered appropriate parenting at all.

2e1b1wx.jpg

Edited by Mike Spero

Guest JAG

Yo, I wasn't knocking liberals.  A liberal would be on my side.  Liberalism is against the government telling you what you can and can not do on the basis of morality - of 'governing within the home.'

When "parenting methods" are abusive and neglectful, yeah. I'm gonna "dictate someone else's parenting methods". If you, JAG, dump your kid off on the side of a highway, guess what? I'm gonna pick your kid up and call the police because you deliberately put that kid in an incredibly dangerous, life-threatening situation because you were too stupid to think of a better way to punish him for not answering a question.

Yeah, that's all that happened. He's not going to be traumatized by being abandoned by his dad on the side of the road. He's not going to have trust issues. Totally. 

HE ABANDONED HIS EIGHT YEAR OLD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, JAG. Stop acting like this is me being some sort of awful, whiny liberal trying to "emasculate our society" and figure out a better, less psychotic way to discipline children That kid could have been grabbed by any number of psychos or pedophiles. He could have been hit by a car. And his father deliberately put him in that situation. He left that little boy alone, on the side of a busy highway with no safe place to walk. That's not discipline.

If you really don't see the difference between the constant low amounts of danger that a child is in and the life-threatening situation this piss poor excuse for a father put this little boy in, I don't think you can be trusted with children. I certainly wouldn't trust my children with you.

I hope that guy gets an earful from his wife, at the very least. I'd divorce him, personally. Put my kid in that kind of danger and you're in for a world of hurt.

Guest Mike Spero

Yo, I wasn't knocking liberals.  A liberal would be on my side.  Liberalism is against the government telling you what you can and can not do on the basis of morality - of 'governing within the home.'

Yeah, I realized that too late and corrected my post. Nonetheless, "I could've sworn you were a liberal"? Isn't that like sarcastically saying: "You don't hate gay people? Wow, I could've sworn you were a Christian"? Just saying, not a good way to communicate your point, in my opinion.

When "parenting methods" are abusive and neglectful, yeah. I'm gonna "dictate someone else's parenting methods". If you, JAG, dump your kid off on the side of a highway, guess what? I'm gonna pick your kid up and call the police because you deliberately put that kid in an incredibly dangerous, life-threatening situation because you were too stupid to think of a better way to punish him for not answering a question.

Yeah, that's all that happened. He's not going to be traumatized by being abandoned by his dad on the side of the road. He's not going to have trust issues. Totally. 

HE ABANDONED HIS EIGHT YEAR OLD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, JAG. Stop acting like this is me being some sort of awful, whiny liberal trying to "emasculate our society" and figure out a better, less psychotic way to discipline children That kid could have been grabbed by any number of psychos or pedophiles. He could have been hit by a car. And his father deliberately put him in that situation. He left that little boy alone, on the side of a busy highway with no safe place to walk. That's not discipline.

If you really don't see the difference between the constant low amounts of danger that a child is in and the life-threatening situation this piss poor excuse for a father put this little boy in, I don't think you can be trusted with children. I certainly wouldn't trust my children with you.

I hope that guy gets an earful from his wife, at the very least. I'd divorce him, personally. Put my kid in that kind of danger and you're in for a world of hurt.

Look, you two have two different opinions on what punishment can be rightfully defined by and where the line is drawn. Resulting to words like "stupid" and saying "figure out a less psychotic way to discipline your children" to someone who doesn't even have kids yet, isn't going to change anyone's mind. I agree with you more than the other side, but I really don't want to see another fight on "Christian" Teen Forums. You obviously strongly care for the wellfare of children, that's a great thing. Just try to keep calm while representing that.