Guest JAG

5 Prisoners Released from Gitmo

Guest JAG

“Trading five senior Taliban leaders from detention in Guantanamo Bay for Bergdahl’s release may have consequences for the rest of our forces and all Americans. Our terrorist adversaries now have a strong incentive to capture Americans. That incentive will put our forces in Afghanistan and around the world at even greater risk,” House Armed Services Committee Chairman Howard P. McKeon (R-Calif.) and the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, James M. Inhofe (Okla.), said in a joint statement."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bergdahl-release-arrangement-could-threaten-the-safety-of-americans-republicans-say/2014/05/31/35e47a2a-e8ff-11e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_print.html

On one hand, I'm all for saving our people.  More so, trying to save them violently than exchanging prisoners though.  I think this is a bad step in American policy.  Showing our enemy that we won't negotiate with them if they behave ungentlemanly is important.

Guest JAG

Gitmo should have been shut down years ago. It's disgusting, inhumane, and a blight on our country.

If torture is going on, I agree.  I really don't know what happens there though.

If torture is going on, I agree.  I really don't know what happens there though.

I think enough's been said to make it pretty much a given that torture's being used there. Everyone from released prisoners to the American Red Cross to Lt. Generals in the Air Force and FBI agents have stated that everything from solitary confinement to forced positions to sensory and sleep deprivation goes on there. Not to mention very recent accusations of waterboarding.

There's no use pretending. Guantanamo Bay uses "enhanced interrogation techniques". They torture detainees, many of which are not even closely liked to terrorist organizations. It should have been closed down years ago.

No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.”

Guest JAG

I think enough's been said to make it pretty much a given that torture's being used there. Everyone from released prisoners to the American Red Cross to Lt. Generals in the Air Force and FBI agents have stated that everything from solitary confinement to forced positions to sensory and sleep deprivation goes on there. Not to mention very recent accusations of waterboarding.

There's no use pretending. Guantanamo Bay uses "enhanced interrogation techniques". They torture detainees, many of which are not even closely liked to terrorist organizations. It should have been closed down years ago.

Had we voted Ron Paul in, it probably would have gotten closed down - and trials would have been had.  It's not too late though, we can still turn it back, but the blowback will be immense.

Guest JAG

No, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.”

Clearly that wasn't written for nation states, though, right?

Clearly that wasn't written for nation states, though, right?

I am heavily influenced by Christian Anarchism, so I think the Gospel stands as a firm condemnation against the demonic powers of the State.

Guest JAG

I am heavily influenced by Christian Anarchism, so I think the Gospel stands as a firm condemnation against the demonic powers of the State.

That made me giggle.

That made me giggle.

It is a sad fact that virtually no Christians believe that the Kingdoms of This World are a part of the Kingdom of Darkness any longer.

Guest JAG

It is a sad fact that virtually no Christians believe that the Kingdoms of This World are a part of the Kingdom of Darkness any longer.

Well, I'd say the Kingdoms of this world are God's play things.  He puts people in power, and humbles them likewise.  He always has, biblically speaking.  The powers given to the Kings, though, aren't necessarily demonic - I think Babylon is a good case study on the shifting uses of a State in God's plan.

The government has to be seen as a different entity from the individual though.  The government is used to 'punish the evil doer' as Paul wrote, but not necessarily the individual.  This is why it's good for a believer to forgive someone who has wronged them in court, but not for a judge to do the same thing.  The judge is charged with upholding justice, and is charged with punishing the evil-doer, not forgiving him/her.

Edited by JAG

The government has to be seen as a different entity from the individual though.  The government is used to 'punish the evil doer' as Paul wrote, but not necessarily the individual.  This is why it's good for a believer to forgive someone who has wronged them in court, but not for a judge to do the same thing.  The judge is charged with upholding justice, and is charged with punishing the evil-doer, not forgiving him/her.

I think the biblical view of the State is more nuanced than that. In a certain sense, the State exists to punish the wrongdoer, but I am not convinced that lessens its connection to the Kingdom of Darkness. I think we need to reclaim the idea that Satan is the executor of God's Wrath. Satan is the one who punishes the sinners and lawbreakers. Darkness cannibalizes its own. Most modern Christians balk at the idea that God's Wrath is associated with darkness and Satan, but I think it is the most honest reading of Holy Scripture. 

Someone very wise once wrote: 

Personally I believe that the wrath of God is simply satan. Considering the story of Job,it’s quite clear that all evil deeds come from him,so when a person is totally living a bad life, is definitely accepting the wrath of God which eventually means that you are abandoned from God and subject to Satan’s will. Referring to Jesus words of “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him. (John 3:36) It simply saying that satan will remain the master of that person. Jesus came to the world purposely to cast out satan which means that satan will no more be in command and the sole owner of the world, and God’s kingdom through the church,Holy Mary,and most of all the Holy Spirit within us is definitely preventing satan from having total control of the world although it is still his.

Nevertheless, I think we straying from the topic.
Edited by Wesker

Guest Mike Spero

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. We just gave them an inch.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm in no way patriotic towards America, but this was such a mistake. The second you negotiate with an organization, you put them on equal grounds and gratify them as a threat. Obama just metaphorically dropped the riot shields and went to shake hands with the taliban and tell them how good of a job they've been doing.

Great.

Not something I think the Obama Admin should be particularly proud of.. I have a bad feeling about this. 

Yeahh...Uhm....That was really a dumb thing to do. I honestly dislike Obama very much. He's just doing some bizarre things that no other presidents have done in the past. There are alot of rumors that Obama is a muslim under cover, and how he is doin all this stuff. It's bad, and I wouldn't be suprised if he was responciable for bringing down the great America.

Yeahh...Uhm....That was really a dumb thing to do. I honestly dislike Obama very much. He's just doing some bizarre things that no other presidents have done in the past. There are alot of rumors that Obama is a muslim under cover, and how he is doin all this stuff. It's bad, and I wouldn't be suprised if he was responciable for bringing down the great America.

The "rumors" that Obama is a "muslim under cover" are not only incredibly racist, it's also so blatantly false that the most basic knowledge of Muslim practices would prove them wrong. Not only that, it wouldn't matter if he was a Muslim.

Because a president doesn't have to be a Christian to be president. And being a Muslim doesn't automatically make one a terrorist.

And of course, I'm sure you condemn Reagan just as harshly for his illegal trade with Iran in 1985, where he traded 500 anti-tank missiles, 1,500 American missiles and approximately thirty million dollars for American hostages, without Congress' knowledge or consent and in direct violation of American law?

Of course.

Edited by Radical Edward

Dude calm down. I'm not racist. I'm actually black myself. And I know every president doesn't have to be christian. It's just that Obama does some pretty strange stuff. When I see a president do something as major as exchange terrorists for a soldier, meet with Islamic leaders instead of the prime minister of Israel, talk about decreasing our nuclear weapons and lower the wages of army soldiers,pardon me for being a little leery. for you to say something like that is just rude and frankly weird. I know not every Muslim is a terrorist, I have muslim friends.

Edited by GodslilGirl

Dude calm down. I'm not racist. I'm actually black myself. And I know every president doesn't have to be christian. It's just that Obama does some pretty strange stuff. When I see a president do something as major as exchange terrorists for a soldier, meet with Islamic leaders instead of the prime minister of Israel, talk about decreasing our nuclear weapons and lower the wages of army soldiers,pardon me for being a little leery. for you to say something like that is just rude and frankly weird. I know not every Muslim is a terrorist, I have muslim friends.

Being black doesn't magically make racist things less racist. A great deal of the early "rumors" about Barack Obama (like him being an illegal immigrant or a Muslim) are rooted in racism, plain and simple. 

Edited by Radical Edward

Being black doesn't magically make racist things less racist. A great deal of the early "rumors" about Barack Obama (like him being an illegal immigrant or a Muslim) are rooted in racism, plain and simple.

NO, YOU'RE RACIST! OBAMA IS MUSLIM ANTICHRIST!

Man, I don't even like Obama (the continued existence of Gitmo is a big strike against him as far as I'm concerned, among other things) but some of the stuff people say is just ridiculous. Like, there are so many legitimate complaints to make about his terms, and people go for "HE'S SECRETLY A MUSLIM"? Like... seriously, the most basic knowledge of Islam would make it really clear that he is not a Muslim. Or he's the worst Muslim ever. 

"I have Muslim friends."

Well in that case, the crime rate among urban youth would be lower if they just learned to pick cotton like their forefathers.

But it's okay.

I have black friends.

Man, I don't even like Obama (the continued existence of Gitmo is a big strike against him as far as I'm concerned, among other things) but some of the stuff people say is just ridiculous. Like, there are so many legitimate complaints to make about his terms, and people go for "HE'S SECRETLY A MUSLIM"? Like... seriously, the most basic knowledge of Islam would make it really clear that he is not a Muslim. Or he's the worst Muslim ever. 

Word.

Lest we not forget that Obama claims to be a Christian as well.

Guest Mike Spero

Intelligence^^^

NO WAY! OMG I KNEW THOSE PICTURES OF HIM SHAKING HANDS WITH SADDAM HUSSEIN WEREN'T DOCTORED!! TELL US THE TRUTH OBAMA!!! WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON 9/11!!!!

Wow. I can tell you guys you took the whole Obama being a muslim thing the wrong way. I meant that there have been rumors that he's a muslim-terrorist-under cover. The last thing I want is to offend someone from another faith. Do I believe Obama is the anti-christ? Not really. But when I listen to a radical muslim who has turned Christian say Obama is not who he says he is, I believe him. I didn't mean that muslims are bad. I'm really sorry that you guys took it that way. I came on this site to hear what other young people have to say. Not argue with the Body or offend anyone.