T.O.W.R.

The Robot Uprising Begins

Hmm yeah, I'm not really sure what good the turning test is. I mean, yes it's impressive that they were able to do this, but in what situation would this actually be helpful?

Guest Mike Spero

I feel like this only half counts since they had to pass the AI off as a non-native English speaking 13 year old.

Even if this fooled all of the participants and was being passed off as a fluent English speaker, there's a difference between artificial intelligence to the proposed point of near-sentience and a bunch of numbers and responses that are programmed to categorize each sentence received and give an appropriate response, as dictated by the humans who designed this. This shouldn't even have the luxury of being called a crass-imitation. I find it baffling that anyone is getting excited about this or can possibly believe that one day humanity will be able to create artificial sentience with numbers and wires. I don't know whether to laugh or feel pity when I hear one of the million talks about how soon robots will be like people too, we'll be able to add our sentience into machines, or worst of all: we'll all have " perfect robot wives." The last one sounds especially horrid.

I really hate to be snide, but there's only one word that comes to mind when I hear people actually voicing belief in robots one day becoming tantamount with man or robot companionship being even remotely comparable to that of a human being...

Imbeciles...

turingTest.jpg

^ I love this

Edited by Mike Spero

Even if this fooled all of the participants and was being passed off as a fluent English speaker, there's a difference between artificial intelligence to the proposed point of near-sentience and a bunch of numbers and responses that are programmed to categorize each sentence received and give an appropriate response, as dictated by the humans who designed this. This shouldn't even have the luxury of being called a crass-imitation. I find it baffling that anyone is getting excited about this or can possibly believe that one day humanity will be able to create artificial sentience with numbers and wires. I don't know whether to laugh or feel pity when I hear one of the million talks about how soon robots will be like people too, we'll be able to add our sentience into machines, or worst of all: we'll all have " perfect robot wives." The last one sounds especially horrid.

I really hate to be snide, but there's only one thing that comes to mind when I hear people actually voicing belief in robots one day becoming like man or robot companionship being even remotely comparable to that of a human being...

Imbeciles...

I'm trying to figure out who was arguing for artificial sentience here.

Guest Mike Spero

I'm trying to figure out who was arguing for artificial sentience here.

I don't mean anything said on this CTF thread, (besides the thread title "The Robot Uprising Begins!") I'm referring to the goal of all this research and alike. Why create a machine, attempting to make it as close to mankind as it can be, and test it for semblance without hoping to strive closer to achieving commensurate sentience with humanity? I was posting in regards to the goal of these experiments themselves, not anyone's views who posted here (in all honesty I only read yours before hitting "reply")

I don't mean anything said on this CTF thread, (besides the thread title "The Robot Uprising Begins!") I'm referring to the goal of all this research and alike. Why create a machine, attempting to make it as close to mankind as it can be, and test it for semblance without hoping to strive closer to achieving commensurate sentience with humanity? I was posting in regards to the goal of these experiments themselves, not anyone's views who posted here (in all honesty I only read yours before hitting "reply")

I see. I think the real point of these experiments is the true motto behind technological progress: "Because we can."

Guest Mike Spero

I see. I think the real point of these experiments is the true motto behind technological progress: "Because we can."

So more like a "This would be cool, though it really wouldn't accomplish anything..." more than a "We're one step closer to replicating human life!!"? I could see that. Though I'd be willing to bet money that the majority of people (who may not be the scientists who created this) getting excited about this are doing so because they feel it's one step closer to artificial life

Not really. There's a significant (indeed, even dominant) faction in the philosophy of the mind that believes that the mind is essentially a sophisticated language machine that processes symbols according to defined rules. If this argument is correct--and there are admittedly good reasons to think it is--then an artificial language-processor of sufficient sophistication should count as a mind.

Because of this, a lot of the people trying to beat the Turing Test are serious about contributing to hard AI research.