GodslilGirl

Do you believe Jesus Christ has died for everyone, and that everyone has a choice? Or do you believe....

That Jesus only died for a certian amount of people?
 I have ALWAYS believed that God died for everyone...but recently a controversy at my church has stirred something in me. I'm almost positive that Jesus died for everyone....But is it possiable that he didn't?

Guest Mike Spero

Jesus died for all of us. Even knowing who would and wouldn't accept His entrance to salvation, He still offers us all the same chance. The Bible says He knocks on the doors of all mankind's heart (so He offers us all equal chance at Salvation) and that He wishes not one person would perish in Hell; so either God is a moron who asks people if they want salvation without offering it, or He died for us all :3

When the words "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do" poured from Jesus's lips, I believe He was saying that on behalf of the whole world. Everyone is a sinner who needs a savior.

The Bible says He knocks on the doors of all mankind's heart (so He offers us all equal chance at Salvation)

For the sake of nit-pickery, this was not said about the hearts of men but about a church.

Guest Mike Spero

For the sake of nit-pickery, this was not said about the hearts of men but about a church.

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne."

It doesn't sound like it, honestly

I believe he died for EVERYONE. Not just a certain group of people. *cough* self-righteousness *cough*

I believe he died for EVERYONE. Not just a certain group of people. *cough* self-righteousness *cough*

Technically, that's not self-righteous.

What would you call it Nicene nerd?

I don't know. But not self-righteous. It's not really related. Self-righteous means "believing in own virtue: sure of the moral superiority of personal beliefs and actions, usually to an irritating degree."

Jesus died for everyone. Not everyone benefits in the same way. I'm a 4 . 5 Calvinist.

That's what I figured. Again, I've only ever come across the hypers xD

I don't know. But not self-righteous. It's not really related. Self-righteous means "believing in own virtue: sure of the moral superiority of personal beliefs and actions, usually to an irritating degree."

So "I'm saved by the grace of Christ and you're not so repent lest ye go to eternal torture" (or something to that effect) isn't self-righteous? 

So "I'm saved by the grace of Christ and you're not so repent lest ye go to eternal torture" (or something to that effect) isn't self-righteous?

Depends on the attitude, but not necessarily.

The first part of that statement comes off as self-righteous, but I would say the latter, repent lest ye go to eternal torture, depends on the context.

UNIVERSALISM FTW. He died for all, and all will eventually come back to him. #boom

Wrong place? I r confused. 0_0

Sorry, I accidentally posted something I didn't mean to in this thread. :P

The atonement is particular and substitutionary, so Christ actually obtained eternal salvation for God's elect. His sacrifice is connected with his priesthood. Hebrews 7:24-25 says, "But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them." Does everyone benefit from the intercessory work of the high priest? No. Those that Jesus intercedes for are those that he died for and those whom he saves completely (God's elect alone). If he bore God's wrath and died for everyone without exception, everyone would be saved (i.e. universalism which is heresy). Also, libertarian free-will does not square with scripture. Salvation is not dependent on fallen man's volition or cooperation but is based on Divine choice. When it comes to spiritual matters, fallen man only chooses what is consistent with his enslaved nature - sin.

So you're saying that if someone tells me to choose a beautiful Heaven over a burning hell I'd choose hell? That doesn't seem right to me at all. And how do you witness to people? You can't even tell them that God loves them because you don't really know.