erleonetti

Losing Faith

So for the past couple months I've been really struggling with keeping my faith in God. Huge life altering changes have just recently occurred and there have been a large amount of temptations they have come my way. Unfortunately I've fallen for some of them. I've asked for God's forgiveness and I know he has granted me it but I'm having a hard time believing it. Just like I know God is always with me but I'm struggling to believe this. I feel so alone even though he is right there. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas to help me rebuild my faith? I would really appreciate them. I don't want to keep living like this. I need Christ in my life. I cannot do this alone. If i could find any help at all I would be so thankful.

Guest Mike Spero

It sounds like you're going through something totally normal, honestly. It's difficult for many not to question God when He can't come right before us and give us the replies we wish for. You know in your head what is true; that you're forgiven for whatever you've fallen for, that He's with you and real, etc. but you feel distanced from Him. This could be partially from the fact that all sin drives us naturally from God, and also the fact that you're growing older and entering new stages in life and new perspectives; which is making Him harder to see. You don't need to be told "God is with you - God forgives you - God is good -etc." cause you know this already, you're just looking for a feeling of union with Him; if I'm not mistaken. My advice: Do whatever it takes to remain close to Him. Read the Word more, spend more time and be more relaxed in prayer, think about Him more, find fellowship, and so on and so forth. Stray from whatever temptations you've been falling to, and cease dwelling in your feeling of loneliness and distance from God. Don't bottle the feelings up, but when they come deny them and try to reconnect. It's difficult to maintain relationship with someone you can't touch or speak to at this time, but dwell on the fact that He's given all He could for you; how then could you not feel so loved?

Have you ever heard the expression, "A doubting Thomas"? I think most everyone has. It's a reference to Jesus' disciple, Thomas. I'm sure you've read about how Thomas doubted. If even a disciple, someone who had seen and heard Christ in person,--if he still doubted, then you can bet that people today doubt. Like Mike said, it's normal. A lot of Christians come to a point in their lives when they doubt. I'm sure everyone has doubted at least once. I'll admit that I have. I was like you. I knew that the Lord was true and faithful, but doubt will slip through any crack it can. I'm not going to sugar coat it, doubt can kill you spiritually. That's why it's such a big weapon of the devil. What I did was pray. If you have a doubt, then pray about. Just tell God honestly what you feel. There's no shame in telling Him....He sees everything anyway. I can tell you from personal experience that the only one holding us back from admitting our faults is us. I have denied having problems because I didn't want to admit them to myself. When I finally let go and confessed my sin, such an amazing feeling of freedom washed over me. God sees everything, He understands everything. Christ lived in flesh and was tempted the same way we are. He understands. There is nothing that you can't take to God. I would recommend that you pray, admit how you're feeling. Read scripture. I would recommend Psalms. God knows what you're going through and is greater than your situations. Though it may sound strange, the only way to overcome doubt is to have faith. Ignore the doubt. The more you think about it, the more you'll give in to it. I'll be praying for you. As someone who's been in similar situations, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to pm me. Just hang in there, everything will be okay  :)

Have you ever heard the expression, "A doubting Thomas"? I think most everyone has. It's a reference to Jesus' disciple, Thomas. I'm sure you've read about how Thomas doubted. If even a disciple, someone who had seen and heard Christ in person,--if he still doubted, then you can bet that people today doubt. Like Mike said, it's normal. A lot of Christians come to a point in their lives when they doubt. I'm sure everyone has doubted at least once. I'll admit that I have. I was like you. I knew that the Lord was true and faithful, but doubt will slip through any crack it can. I'm not going to sugar coat it, doubt can kill you spiritually. That's why it's such a big weapon of the devil. What I did was pray. If you have a doubt, then pray about. Just tell God honestly what you feel. There's no shame in telling Him....He sees everything anyway. I can tell you from personal experience that the only one holding us back from admitting our faults is us. I have denied having problems because I didn't want to admit them to myself. When I finally let go and confessed my sin, such an amazing feeling of freedom washed over me. God sees everything, He understands everything. Christ lived in flesh and was tempted the same way we are. He understands. There is nothing that you can't take to God. I would recommend that you pray, admit how you're feeling. Read scripture. I would recommend Psalms. God knows what you're going through and is greater than your situations. Though it may sound strange, the only way to overcome doubt is to have faith. Ignore the doubt. The more you think about it, the more you'll give in to it. I'll be praying for you. As someone who's been in similar situations, if you need someone to talk to, feel free to pm me. Just hang in there, everything will be okay  :)

I needed that, thankyou  :redface:

I totally agree that we can all relate to Doubting Thomas. I'm Catholic, and in 3 weeks I was in Catholic school, then public school, then Christian school. I heard a lot of things that made me more confused, but it got better. If there was a big bang without God, there would be so much less likely and you would need more faith to believe in that instead of God. The same goes for free will. As people, we're the only species that has money systems, and jail systems, and clothing. Losing faith is a very hard time, but when you find a reason to believe again, your faith is even stronger :) I'm praying for you!

I'll spare the usual lecture so...

Have tried going to teen christian fellowship groups (you could ask around church)? They have a band you could join and have fun with the fellowship. You could sing, tell stories, share your thoughts, do tons of activities, and basically have fun. These people are friendly and suitable as they are same as your age so you could relate a lot. 

If you are struggling, don't try to be alone... There are people who could show you the way to Christ and have fun as well. "Fellowship"

I used to play basketball with my group as well back then as well as share our thoughts with each other and back them up if they have problems. It was like "Hey guys I'm struggling at history class" we started with a prayer and studied history all night and one of us was making practice test. "Hey guys I was dumped... again"  we went out and eat at a restaurant and let him share he's thoughts as we try to lift his spirit up and tell him God has something better plan for you and just you wait. "Hey guys wanna help set up this huge activity at church, I heard they need strong backs" We went there as a group. We were all strangers at 1st when joining but we ended up great friends who respect one another. It's great to hang with a group of people with Christ in their hearts. "Fellowship"