Sign in to follow this  
kb5462

Swearing in films, television etc.

Ok, so this video made an appearance on my Facebook newsfeed (I appreciate it's an advert; ignore that for the sake of my questions. I also appreciate that the family is not actually being shot). It's pretty short, so please do give it a view. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7t85SESTXI

I thought I'd ask a couple of questions about it. Please feel free to not answer these questions and give different reflections if you'd like. 

• What's your general stance on swearing? 
  • Are you offended by swearing in television/films etc.?
  • If you'd like to see a change, what would you recommend? 
  • Do you think there's a point where children should be allowed to view films with swearing and so on, if they want? 

I've put this in the Debate Room just in case it comes to a debate, but please try and keep it civil. 

I swear constantly, 24/7. It is a habit I picked up early from my father, who also swears constantly. I feel a certain amount of guilt over it, but at this point comes as automatically to me as breathing and I neither have the time nor the desire to make any effort to change it. I am fine with swearing in television and media; and in fact encourage it to a certain extent for the sake of realism. I see no need for a change, and think that 14 is a solid age to allow children to start viewing films and such with swearing; although in all likelihood they probably will already be introduced to it.

I agree with Luppiter except I do have a desire to change. It's pretty hard, and just the other day I swore in front of my mom. She was shocked and disappointed. Swearing is not allowed in my house, and I do so in my head, or when my parents aren't around. I cuss like a sailer, and I'm trying to stop. Hard as crap though.

I used to be hardcore against ALL swearing. Then I started working with people. The only things that really irk me currently are anything to do with the Lord's name, body parts and the effenheimer. The best way to make me mad is to say "Jesus F$%^ing Christ" when angry. I might slap you. I don't think that those phrases should be on TV, but I'm ok with other swears.

Otherwise, I don't care. I  really only swear when I'm exceptionally angry, I like to save the impact of those phrases for times when they're needed. Strong feelings need strong words.

That vid was pretty epic by the way lol.

I don't usually swear unless I'm with close friends and it makes a joke work. :P Mostly it's just a sort of conditioned habit of not having those words in my everyday vocabulary; there's nothing at all profound about it. 

Swear words in movies don't bother me; in fact, if the script is well written to begin with, I don't really notice whether a show curses or not.

As for appropriate viewing age for children, I remember back in elementary school everyone swore; so if other kids share my experience, they are pretty much routinely exposed to the words from as far back as they can remember (and I didn't come from a swearing home). So it's not about the vocabulary as much as the meaning of the words and the situations involved when these words are used. Even aside from the etymologies, the context of a swear word is usual involved in negative or dark situations (which is a whole separate question of when children should be exposed to such things).

I don't personally cuss (but let me start working around people, and THEN we'll see XD) At the same time, I don't see anything technically "wrong" about it, though. If you use God's name, I can see that as being bad. Or is you're cussing someone out [buut..that can have the same affect on someone, whether you're cussing or not...yelling rudely at someone is frowned upon (generally) regardless of cussing or no.] From what I have seen, the "cuss words" are usually words that peasants used to use, and the higher class folk had different words for things, so they looked down upon whichever ones the peasants used vs. what THEY used. So really, cussing being wrong/immoral/frowned upon/bad/whatever you want to say is very societal/cultural. :P

As far as in movies, sometimes in can make them more accurate in general (say if someone is in jail, or the army, or somewhere, you would DEFINITELY hear some cussing there), or historically accurate (like if someone uses the "n" word)

Soo...I have no problem with it, and long as it's not every other word, CONSTANT "f" word usage, or continual sexual innuendos/dirty talk. Lol

Edited by MsAnonymous

Guest Mike Spero

I loved that video UuU

And no, I don't swear. At all, even a little. I weened myself off of it a few months ago, and now it's sort of reserved from when I need to make a point; cause I never use them otherwise cx In all honesty, this is one of the reasons I legit don't watch any television or movies anymore. It's all random language, sex and ridiculous "humor". Even action movies are reduced to the equivalent of a 13-year old male power fantasy. But one of the main reasons I quit tv and movies was cause of the incessant swearing. I can't say that was the number-one reason, but icing on the cake

If you are not intelligent enough to find other placeholder words that are not foul, you most likely belong in a middle school; not directing one of the modern travesties that is our "entertainment" system. To prove this point and how adamant I am, have an awesome gif from a place called College Humor, which is sadly even cleaner and has much more intelligent writing than anything you'll find on tv for "adults". And that's saying something

victor.gif

Edited by Mike Spero

I swear a lot too. I will pray for you, because it's not something we should except man. It's a sin.

I think only blasphemy is a sin, but I could be wrong.

So as long as you carefully use curse words then it's fine. :P

Censorship is not OK. If you don't like cussing, then don't do it/watch it.

Also, cussing is not a sign of a lax vocabulary. Some of the smartest people in the world cuss. The words serve a purpose.

Also Also, I think it's fine in context. Some people mind it, some don't. It's a cultural thing.

Guest Mike Spero

But College Humor has sex and swearing. It's not even better.

I know, which is why I rarely if ever watch their videos. It's still ridiculously juvenile and filthy, but if you ask me: on average, College Humor skits are leaps and bounds cleaner than most media, today. Which is sad

And I would disagree with anyone who'd say swearing isn't a problem; even the Bible addresses it. How is using intense statements of vulgarity as common-language not wrong? No, it's not like "I just swore! Oh Lord, have mercy on my poor soul!!" calibre, but it's still ludicrous to say that there's nothing wrong with saying "You stupid [female dog]!" at a girl who cuts you off on the road, or "[Have sex in a negative connotation] yeah, man!" when you're team scores a point. It's frankly a sign of immaturity to literally need to swear, not to let one drop every once in awhile due to the fact it's commonplace in culture.

If you seriously are in opposition to people who say swearing is unnecessary and ridiculous, you probably feel you need it. It's been my experience that most people who swear incessantly do so because of low self esteem. Either "the more bad words I say, the more "ba" that makes me!" or "I'll fit in with everyone else if I use as much profanity as they do!" is the reasoning I generally find behind it. It's not a cultural thing, kids are told from their youth not to swear. If it's so cultural, then why not try using that with your employer tomorrow? Your mom?

It's a showing of futile rebellion and nothing more, and though many may not mean it as so, in essence that's all profanity is chalked up to. It also comes across as offensive and ridiculous to the poor people forced to listen to the incessant profanity of a puerile media.

Edited by Mike Spero

Stay classy.

Becky summed up my thoughts quite well. Swearing is bad and I don't make it a habit to do it, but I'm also not afraid to drop one every now and then as it really isn't a "sin" more of just immaturity. Now it can be taken to extremes, obviously, and could become not beneficial to your Christian Walk at all.

So do I think it's wrong to swear? No. (But some words or phrases should not be used ever. Period.)

Do I think it is a sin? Again, no.

Is it be annoying and usually unnecessary? Yeah.

Stephen Fry's opinion on swearing is my opinion on swearing.

Agreed

My general philosophy about it is that I wait for the other person to swear so I know they're okay with it and then i'll do it myself. If i'm in public then i'll either do it really quitely/when no one is within earshot/not at all in case someone who passes by is offended. Personally I find it rather silly how some judge others based just on if they swear or not or just how offended they get by it but I still try to respect that. I certainly don't believe swearing is in and of itself a sin but doing it around someone you know it upsets is as you're just disregarding how it makes them feel for the sake of how you like to talk. Outside of that the only times I never swear is in front of children and at work. It's not exactly considered professional in a nurse.

And in media, myeh, my mum hates it and it does annoy me how I can't show her stuff she would otherwise love because of it but I also find a lot of shows without swearing which are more mature very strange without it but if it's the Sopranos which is full of sex and violence, I don't see why it shouldn't have swearing as well. Just watch Deadwood for how to use it wonderfully, it makes it into a  bizzarely poetical language or the famous scene in The Wire at the crime scene where the same swear is repeatedly uttered. Wouldn't have the same effect if they just said 'darn' a lot.

Edited by slycooper