Sign in to follow this  
Godsmasterpiece

Romance Novels aka smut

So I personally love to read romance novels. However, the novels I read a more on the graphic side, like Fifty Shades of Grey.

When I first started reading books like this I didn't consider them sinful, however I'm starting to think that they are.

Thought/Opinions?!

Eh, you shouldn't read 50 Shades because it's poorly written silliness that completely misrepresents what a healthy D/S relationship is to the point that it's abuse. And it destroys brain cells :3

Personally though it's all about artist merit, if the 'smut' serves a purpose within the story then I wouldn't see a problem with it - I doubt many would say reading an Updike novel was sinful even if he has erotic moments. But I guess it also comes to intent as to why you are reading them, if it's for sake of the erotica then maybe not so much but if you just like the stories and find that the sex backs them up well then I wouldn't see any issue but it's down to you, it bothers different people more than others.

Well I've already read all three of those books years ago…so that's out the window :)

But I get where you're coming from. I think my reasons for reading them changed over time, and that's why it feels sinful now.

I do not consider the genra itself sinful, as love is a beautiful thing, but I think that books that glorify sinful behaviors are sinful. There are many romance books that approach it from a godly point of view, such as those written by Tracie Peterson.

Edited by Shasta Daisy

I do not consider the genera itself sinful, as love is a beautiful thing, but I think that books that talk about sinful behaviors are sinful. There are many romance books that approach it from a godly point of view, such as those by Tracie Peterson.

So, lust inducing and erotic novels aren't sinful to you? O.o You can have romance without going 50 Shades.

So, lust inducing and erotic novels aren't sinful to you? O.o You can have romance without going 50 Shades.

What gave you that idea? :ohmy: They most certainly are sinful to me. All I was saying was that not all romances are like that. If you ever read anything by Tracie Peterson, you'd know what I mean.

Edited by Shasta Daisy

What gave you that idea? :ohmy: They most certainly are sinful to me. All I was saying was that not all romances are like that. If you ever read anything by Tracie Peterson, you'd know what I mean.

Because this thread is discussing whether or not sleazy romance novels are sinful and the way your post was worded led me to believe that you were okay with la grossness.

Romance novels are typically like those Harlequin paper backs with shirtless dudes on the cover.  We're not talking about Christian romance. That's a completely different breed of animal. :P

I'm very visual. I don't want images of people having sex in my mind. I read alot of action novels. When there's a sex scene, it's kind of like fast forwarding a movie. "Are they done yet... how about now?... is it over...? Oh good, I can read again!"

Eh, you shouldn't read 50 Shades because it's poorly written silliness that completely misrepresents what a healthy D/S relationship is to the point that it's abuse. And it destroys brain cells :3

Personally though it's all about artist merit, if the 'smut' serves a purpose within the story then I wouldn't see a problem with it - I doubt many would say reading an Updike novel was sinful even if he has erotic moments. But I guess it also comes to intent as to why you are reading them, if it's for sake of the erotica then maybe not so much but if you just like the stories and find that the sex backs them up well then I wouldn't see any issue but it's down to you, it bothers different people more than others.

qft. I've read better fanfiction. 

Kirsten Ashley is hit and miss. Hmm... oh wait, I guess you're not asking for recommendations... 

Sign in to follow this