Will_Power

House voted "yes" to sue Obama

In other news, I support an Imperial presidency.

Why? A democratically elected dictator is antithetical to monarchy.

The HR refuses point-blank to work with the POTUS' agenda or get anything done besides what they want to get done.

Heaven forbid they follow their principles. What would be an example of this? I'll agree that they're churlish from time to time, but most of the time I'd agree that the proposed "compromise" is unacceptable and ought to be rejected.

To put it on the other side, it isn't unreasonable to reject a civil union "compromise" about gay marriage if you think that full equality alone is fully just. Democrats in that position aren't being childish; they're towing an at least ostensibly principled line (though of course there are always political motivations). If that insistence on justice leads to a standstill in Congress--well, I suppose that's what happens.

To whine and moan and sue the Prez because you forced him to use executive measures just to get things done certainly *is* childish.

Refusing to enforce law passed through Congress because you disagree with it doesn't comprise "executive measures." It's against the law.

Edited by Yves

For me personally, I'm happy when the branches keep each other in check. Republicans, Democrats, I don't care who - friggen sue the president if he's out of line. That's the best way to preserve our rights and to keep the government from becoming too efficient.

JAG summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Heaven forbid they follow their principles. What would be an example of this? I'll agree that they're churlish from time to time, but most of the time I'd agree that the proposed "compromise" is unacceptable and ought to be rejected.

Background checks for gun sales, Gay Marriage rights, essentially ANY budgetary meeting (shutting down the government whilst they still get paid), immigration reform, war.

The main problem is that the GOP is full of hypocrites. I mean, democrats have them too, but the GOP is so blatantly hypocritical that it's insane. Romney/Ryan were the "Mr. Potato Head" candidates (they said what whoever was in front of them at the time wanted to hear) and they STILL couldn't get elected.

This lawsuit is just another way for them to bolster their voter base, which they need after they lost tons of face during they government shut down which was 100% their fault.

They're not following their principles. They're following whatever will get them more PR, which is why the GOP is so fragmented at the moment and which is why they're suing the president for ridiculous reasons. Just look at what happened to Palin a couple weeks ago when she demanded impeachment hearings. This woman was the nominee for Vice President. It's ridiculous.