What Do You Do When Ticked Off?

Guest Mike Spero

Poll Title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do When Ticked Off?

• Music. Lot's and lot's of loud music.
    • Physical activity. Running, working out, etc.
    • Dwell in the anger. Let it boil up, until it's hot enough to destroy all your enemies MUAHAHAHAHA!
    • Expression. Vent about it, hit a punching bag or wall, kick a puppy (not really, I hope), etc.
    • Pray or read the Bible. God calmed a raging storm, right?
    • Eat. The feels must be swallowed whole
    • Video games. Nothing like stapling a face on all those NPC enemies, right?
    • Retaliate on the person. HE/SHE DONE MESSED UP NOW
    • Let it go. All Frozen style. Just let it go~~~
    • I don't get angry. BECAUSE I'M BATMAN
    • Other

Guest Mike Spero

Mike is mad. And so Mike will make this thread as well as talk in third person cx

Anyways, I was sitting here all ticked off and realized that everyone tends to deal with anger differently; whether it's anything from praying on their knees to becoming a world-famous serial killer xp Either way the question stands. What do you usually do when you're ticked off beyond reprieve and need to blow off steam? I was feeling oddly funny when writing the poll, so pardon the stupidly phrased options :P It is also multiple choice, so pick any that apply. Feel free to discuss if you want as well, but if there's one thing I want us to do today: let's try to not somehow make this another debate on homosexuality xp

Baby steps, everyone. Baby steps.

Personally, music is my escape for everything, so that's mine >.> Not even angry music, but loud music OuO

Edited by Mike Spero

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mike Spero

Kill them. 

I tried that once. Didn't work out too well :P

But I agree. Problem solved! :D

Edited by Mike Spero

I voted for the last two. I barely ever get angry, if someone does something stupid I just let it pass by and keep to my business. If it is a rare occurrence when I truly am angry, I am absolutely silent. The silence is worse for the other person who made me angry than lashing back at them. It actually makes them think about what they did to you rather than them getting defensive and exchanging words.

Guest Mike Spero

I voted for the last two. I barely ever get angry, if someone does something stupid I just let it pass by and keep to my business. If it is a rare occurrence when I truly am angry, I am absolutely silent. The silence is worse for the other person who made me angry than lashing back at them. It actually makes them think about what they did to you rather than them getting defensive and exchanging words.

True. Not retaliating is like heaping hot coals on people's heads, the Bible itself says so.

How dare you have such a healthy form of dealing with anger? XP

I don't generally get angry with folks. I guess I should of put other because my reaction is really more or less to try to "figure them out" I like putting myself in anthers shoes and trying to figure out what makes them tick so a lot of what would make other people angry I will just find interesting or amusing. If I do, by chance, get angry with someone I'll causally just leave the situation until I calm down. Occasionally I'll listen to music, but mostly its just moving on to something else. Cool down. Let it go. Rethink whatever was making me mad and, usually, apologize for my behavior (cause if you actually can manage to make me mad I'm kind of a jerk). If they're open to it I like to talk it out but that doesn't always happen. I don't really tend to hold grudges. I make a practice of firmly believing in the good in others, even if they don't show it. I'd rather be optimistic about human nature, and be a fool, than a cynic who is correct. This disposition, carefully maintained and cultivated (because yes, that is possible), helps me keep away from anger. Though frustration does occasionally happen. :P

Guest Mike Spero

I don't generally get angry with folks. I guess I should of put other because my reaction is really more or less to try to "figure them out" I like putting myself in anthers shoes and trying to figure out what makes them tick so a lot of what would make other people angry I will just find interesting or amusing. If I do, by chance, get angry with someone I'll causally just leave the situation until I calm down. Occasionally I'll listen to music, but mostly its just moving on to something else. Cool down. Let it go. Rethink whatever was making me mad and, usually, apologize for my behavior (cause if you actually can manage to make me mad I'm kind of a jerk). If they're open to it I like to talk it out but that doesn't always happen. I don't really tend to hold grudges. I make a practice of firmly believing in the good in others, even if they don't show it. I'd rather be optimistic about human nature, and be a fool, than a cynic who is correct. This disposition, carefully maintained and cultivated (because yes, that is possible), helps me keep away from anger. Though frustration does occasionally happen. :P

Sounds more like the "Let it go" option :P

There are some things we should be angry about.

There are some things in which an initial reaction of anger is understandable, but it is never helpful to you to be angry, and so one should seek a life free from anger. I view anger as a form of lust.

Guest Mike Spero

There are some things we should be angry about.

Thank you so much for saying this, I thought no one would. Forgot how much people shun the grand gift of emotion that God has given us on here :P

God Himself contains wrath. Jesus chased people around with a whip and flipping tables like a boss. There's a concept of holy anger that I fervently believe in. Anger is a good thing in cases where it showcases our contempt for injustice hot enough to induce it. God gets angry, to the point of "wrath", but He does not act unrighteously. It is our job to decide whether or not we will allow negative anger to dwell within us, and how we might contend with and quaff the anger that comes from our love of goodness and sense of justice

For me, the areas that incur me to anger are when I am slandered or see women being hurt or materialized. I already used this picture on CTF today, but it describes my feels so well...

2571928_1333580317122.36res_500_281.jpg

Edited by Mike Spero

There are some things in which an initial reaction of anger is understandable, but it is never helpful to you to be angry, and so one should seek a life free from anger. I view anger as a form of lust.

Anger that is closer to being synonymous with being "upset" provides us with motivation to change things. Should we not always be angry at injustice?

However, rage, where you're just seeing red and want to rip people's throats out is probably only helpful to get an adrenaline rush for a fight :P

Guest Mike Spero

Anger that is closer to being synonymous with being "upset" provides us with motivation to change things. Should we not always be angry at injustice?

However, rage, where you're just seeing red and want to rip people's throats out is probably only helpful to get an adrenaline rush for a fight :P

Sometimes it's more than challenging not to let one turn into the other xc

(And being angry actually makes you less versatile in a fight, little known fact xp)

It's really difficult but you get the strength to keep sane through prayer personally I have a terrible temper but i have been able to keep it in check though not by my might for sometime now. All I do is concentrate on breathing and start to quote some verses pertaining to the subject

I try to go and do something I like doing (e.g. reading, going to dance class etc.) that puts me in a better mood. I generally make the decision that I just won't get angry, but if there's stuff that does make me angry, I like to have time to myself to think about why it's annoyed me etc. I don't think anger is an invalid emotion or one that should necessarily be ignored; I like to be able to ruminate on whether what I'm angry about is worth it.

If it's conflict with someone else (i.e. We've disagreed about something in a big way), I'm a straight-forward talk-about-it-get-it-over-with kind of person. Life's too short for anything else.

Guest Mike Spero

I don't think anger is an invalid emotion or one that should necessarily be ignored; I like to be able to ruminate on whether what I'm angry about is worth it.

If it's conflict with someone else (i.e. We've disagreed about something in a big way), I'm a straight-forward talk-about-it-get-it-over-with kind of person. Life's too short for anything else.

True ^.^

Thank you so much for saying this, I thought no one would. Forgot how much people shun the grand gift of emotion that God has given us on here :P

I wish to address this, as it seems to be a common misconception about my thought and philosophy.

I don't think a person should shun their emotions. Rather, I think they should seek to understand them. There are some events that will immediately trigger initial reactions of anger for almost all people. However, I have found that examining the emotion, asking "why am I angry?" or asking "how is this anger helping me?" puts an end to most of my anger.

I agree that emotion is a natural and valuable trait of humans, but I don't believe that holding on to your emotions after an initial reaction has passed (which is a choice) is natural. I think that this has been taught by society. Human nature, I think, is what is conductive to human growth and happiness. Holding on to anger, wishing to destroy, is not conductive to human growth and happiness.

"Between stimulus and response, there is a space. Within that space lies our freedom to choose our response, and in that choice lies our freedom and growth." - Viktor Frankly

I am not saying you have to agree with any of these views, I just want to make sure that they are clarified.

AFA, I think there are some important distinctions to be made.

Being angry at a driver who cuts you off should most certainly be something that we realize doesn't help us and should calm the anger.

However, being angry about child abuse is something we should not become passive about. It should always make us angry, so that the anger can drive us to do everything we can to change it.

Also there is an aspect that may only be relevant to Christians (I suppose it could be relevant to anyone who's virtues line up with those warranted). When a Christian is angry about some offense to their self, whether menial or substantial, they ought to offer forgiveness to the offender. Part of forgiveness being the necessity of letting go of the anger about it.

No such distinction needs to be made, because you are lumping a sense of justice (which is virtuous and rational) with anger (which is not and and irrational).

Seeking to protect the innocent is justice, seeking to punish the offenders is anger.

Edited by afriendlyatheist