Guest Mike Spero

What Do You Do When Ticked Off?

Poll Title  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Do When Ticked Off?

• Music. Lot's and lot's of loud music.
    • Physical activity. Running, working out, etc.
    • Dwell in the anger. Let it boil up, until it's hot enough to destroy all your enemies MUAHAHAHAHA!
    • Expression. Vent about it, hit a punching bag or wall, kick a puppy (not really, I hope), etc.
    • Pray or read the Bible. God calmed a raging storm, right?
    • Eat. The feels must be swallowed whole
    • Video games. Nothing like stapling a face on all those NPC enemies, right?
    • Retaliate on the person. HE/SHE DONE MESSED UP NOW
    • Let it go. All Frozen style. Just let it go~~~
    • I don't get angry. BECAUSE I'M BATMAN
    • Other

I think you mean conducive. 

Yes, of course.

No such distinction needs to be made, because you are lumping a sense of justice (which is virtuous and rational) with anger (which is not and and irrational).

Seeking to protect the innocent is justice, seeking to punish the offenders is anger.

I would offer the rebuttal that by the same standard that claims I combine anger and justice, your definition of "seeking to punish the offender" is combining anger and vengeance.

Emotion itself is always irrational. The cause of it, and what you choose to do about it are the things that can be rational (be it for justice or revenge).

Yes, I think a desire for vengeance falls under the anger category, don't you? Passionate desire to harm others is anger, and of this, desire for vengeance (a type of harm) is a subset.

All I'm saying is that "being angry at child molestation" doesn't seem quite right to me. Should we desire vengeance against child molestors? I don't think so. Should we wish or prefer to protect and benefit the victims, or prevent their victimization? I think yes. It is all in the will. Justice is a character trait that is rational, while anger is raw emotion. No, I don't think you should be angry at child molestors.

Guest Mike Spero

I wish to address this, as it seems to be a common misconception about my thought and philosophy.

I don't think a person should shun their emotions. Rather, I think they should seek to understand them. There are some events that will immediately trigger initial reactions of anger for almost all people. However, I have found that examining the emotion, asking "why am I angry?" or asking "how is this anger helping me?" puts an end to most of my anger.

I agree that emotion is a natural and valuable trait of humans, but I don't believe that holding on to your emotions after an initial reaction has passed (which is a choice) is natural. I think that this has been taught by society. Human nature, I think, is what is conductive to human growth and happiness. Holding on to anger, wishing to destroy, is not conductive to human growth and happiness.

"Between stimulus and response, there is a space. Within that space lies our freedom to choose our response, and in that choice lies our freedom and growth." - Viktor Frankly

I am not saying you have to agree with any of these views, I just want to make sure that they are clarified.

I see, so you don't shun emotions but basically believe that you should examine them logically to be sure they don't illicit a negative response? If I'm reading this correctly, I fully agree

My philosophy on this is different, but well... I'd hope that's to be expected by now xp

I prefer to try my best to act on things according to faith, emotion, and logic. I follow whatever my emotional passion may be leading me to do, but beforehand I look at what the effects might be or if it's good. I rarely tend to think of things logically first, but I try to keep balance by checking and thinking things through before acting on what I've decided. I will occasionally look at things first from an intellectual standpoint (usually only when it's an intellectual scenario or a "big deal"), and when I do I find the same counter-balance in play. But for either of these, the ultimate check of "Is this a stupid idea/action I'm about to act out?" is to examine something before Christian standards and viewpoints. "From what I know of God, is this what He'd want of me?". And this is determined by my emotional relationship with God and the written knowledge I have of Him.

It sounds way more complex and thought out than it really is. But that's the best way I can think to describe it

I don't get angry. BECAUSE I'M BATMAN.*

XD

*I take a walk in the park and listen to music.

Glad you liked that cx

Edited by Mike Spero

I see, so you don't shun emotions but basically believe that you should examine them logically to be sure they don't illicit a negative response? If I'm reading this correctly, I fully agree

That's right. I think that a persistent negative emotion or response is due to a flaw in one's judgment. I think that the key to happiness is to practice reason, to view all of mankind as a family that you are obliged to, and not to let your passions control you. Putting this into practice has done a lot for me, personally. This is not an easy transition to make (depending on the person of course) and I think practicing asceticism is of extreme value in that transition, but I am happier than I have ever been, and since it is not based on any external event or person, it is a lasting happiness that cannot be taken by circumstance. Of course, no one can be perfect in this respect, but I do continue to strive for it.

Guest Mike Spero

That's right. I think that a persistent negative emotion or response is due to a flaw in one's judgment. I think that the key to happiness is to practice reason, to view all of mankind as a family that you are obliged to, and not to let your passions control you. Putting this into practice has done a lot for me, personally. This is not an easy transition to make (depending on the person of course) and I think practicing asceticism is of extreme value in that transition, but I am happier than I have ever been, and since it is not based on any external event or person, it is a lasting happiness that cannot be taken by circumstance. Of course, no one can be perfect in this respect, but I do continue to strive for it.

Sounds good. And I think that we can all agree that whatever the method, it is better than letting emotions or logic run unchecked is probably a worse idea

I beg to differ, the goal to me is to allow reason to run unhindered by emotion (in our responses and reactions, that is). I think that living virtuously is happiness, and that living virtuously is living according to reason.

That's not to say I am redefining virtue to mean reason. Rather, I think that what we would agree as virtues are based on reason, while what we would agree as immoral acts are based on irrational passions.

I suspect this is where we part, though.

Edited by afriendlyatheist

Guest Mike Spero

I beg to differ, the goal to me is to allow reason to run unhindered by emotion (in our responses and reactions, that is). I think that living virtuously is happiness, and that living virtuously is living according to reason.

That's not to say I am redefining virtue to mean reason. Rather, I think that what we would agree as virtues are based on reason, while what we would agree as immoral acts are based on irrational passions.

I suspect this is where we part, though.

It is, but that doesn't mean I don't respect and understand your views on this

I just think a lot, and sometimes talk to myself, saying all the mean things I want to say to the person :P

It's like a verbal voodoo doll cx

Edited by Mike Spero

It is, but that doesn't mean I don't respect and understand your views on this

It's like a verbal voodoo doll cx

Exactly! DIE!! XD

As far as mad, and not just frustrated about something...I go crazy. I get super frustrated with everything, and will try to be silent, but just get really stressed, and upset with things in general. If I am just COMPLETE irate, then all bets are off. I go on, I vent, I even just laugh with anger.

It  gets bad.

haha :P

As far as mad, and not just frustrated about something...I go crazy. I get super frustrated with everything, and will try to be silent, but just get really stressed, and upset with things in general. If I am just COMPLETE irate, then all bets are off. I go on, I vent, I even just laugh with anger.

It  gets bad.

haha :P

*takes note to never make you mad*

:P

*takes note to never make you mad*

:P

haha Thanks, Will. :P

The fact that I KNOW I know taekwondo does NOT help. xD

Guest Mike Spero

I stay quiet and plot my revenge for when they won't expect it. :)

code_geass_season_1_lelouch_evil_forum_s

I try to contain my anger.

Normally I'll eat some form of junk food and waste time on the internet (or waste time doing something else) and try to be by myself (either physically or mentally).

I've always found anger such a controllable emotion, I don't feel like anger has to be expressed, but can be fixed by thinking things through, and remembering and focusing on love