Guest JAG

WARNING GRAPHIC: Ferguson Shooting

Guest JAG

The narrative is becoming much more complicated as it progresses. 

Yeah.  After watching the robbery footage, and seeing how calm the guy was, I think he was going through something really rough in his life and was acting out about it.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out his girlfriend broke up with him the night before or something.  To calmly rob a store, then act out in rage once the employee tries to stop you, then walk nonchalantly in the middle of the road...it just reeks of depression.

The narrative is becoming much more complicated as it progresses. 

You mean like real life?

You mean like real life?

The thing is that everybody (hyperbole) is a lawyer for the pre-written narrative of the left or the right in America. It seems to me that most people already have their minds made up based on whether they are right-conservative or left-liberal. We are not philosopher-kings intent on discovering the truth, but on lobbying for our own position. Something I have learned from Marx, perhaps too well, is to be critical of every narrative that seeks to minimize the dialectical complexity of truth. 

Guest Mike Spero

The thing is that everybody (hyperbole) is a lawyer for the pre-written narrative of the left or the right in America. It seems to me that most people already have their minds made up based on whether they are right-conservative or left-liberal. We are not philosopher-kings intent on discovering the truth, but on lobbying for our own position. Something I have learned from Marx, perhaps too well, is to be critical of every narrative that seeks to minimize the dialectical complexity of truth. 

I agree. Most don't care for truth, but defending a side they've picked that encompasses the entirety of what is right and wrong to them. No matter how much evidence there is for this case, one side will still go one way and the other will go the other. This should be beneficial to the court, but the public will do whatever they please with it, because that's how our society operates. Truth has become relative, and not constant or sought-out

Edited by Mike Spero

I agree. Most don't care for truth, but defending a side they've picked that encompasses the entirety of what is right and wrong to them. No matter how much evidence there is for this case, one side will still go one way and the other will go the other. This should be beneficial to the court, but the public will do whatever they please with it, because that's how our society operates. Truth has become relative, and not constant or sought-out

I am not so sure if it is a problem of truth becoming relative. I think it is perhaps a problem of hypostatizing an abstract and externalized universal over and against the particularity of the parts. An imaginary replaces a dialectically negating universal that has an organic unity with its particulars. Sorry for my Lacanian and Hegelian babbling. What I mean is that people take a category such as "black people are oppressed minorities fighting against an oppressive white system" or "black people are violent and criminal towards an otherwise civilized white society that the police protect" and then mistake this for the real universal. These discourses become absolutized. Every time a black person is shot by a cop and it makes the news, the liberal-left is structuring the story within the first imaginary and the conservative-right is structuring the story within the second imaginary.