Guest JAG

Transgender is a 'Mental Disorder'

I just wanted to share my opinion in how I see this.

But you are possible right, and I wrong.

But I wont say I think transpeople are mistakes or living with a disorder.God loves all of us, and he wants us to be good to our brothers and sisters.

But this is just my opinion, as I said.

Transgender-ism is a mental disorder. There's no doubt about it. But, the only way we currently know to cure it is by letting them live as their preferred gender. So this is why I'm completely fine with it. It's a bit weird, but if it helps them cope with their disorder, I'm all for it.

It is a mental disorder. If you are born a man, then you are meant to be a man. Same goes for women. You cannot change who you are at the core of your being. A man is a man and a woman is a woman. It is not "brave" or courageous to change this. Here's a priest that has a great view of this. This priest is brilliant. He really is.

It is a mental disorder. If you are born a man, then you are meant to be a man. Same goes for women. You cannot change who you are at the core of your being. A man is a man and a woman is a woman. It is not "brave" or courageous to change this. Here's a priest that has a great view of this. This priest is brilliant. He really is.

I'm not catholic but you and that priest have it exactly right! God made you perfect the way you are

I'm not catholic but you and that priest have it exactly right! God made you perfect the way you are

Unless He made you with a congenital limb deficiency requiring amputatuon. Then you might want to seek surgery.

If transgenderism really is just uncontrollable dysphoria about your given sex of sufficient strength that it drives 40% of people with that disorder to commit suicide, then maybe sex reassignment is a reasonable treatment. It's not as though sex organs are totally sacred. No one objects to "mutilating" a patients' sex organs if that patient suffers from ovarian or testicular cancer.

Of course, it's also possible that the suicide rate has less to do with an untreated disorder and more to do with being treated constantly as a marginal, icky, sin-ridden person.

Edited by Chris-M

"Unless He made you with a congenital limb deficiency requiring amputation."

I'll give you that one...but He still doesn't make mistakes. There is a much deeper reason behind everything He does that we don't see. But that's a much different topic for a much different time.

If transgenderism really is just uncontrollable dysphoria about your given sex of sufficient strength that it drives 40% of people with that disorder to commit suicide, then maybe sex reassignment is a reasonable treatment. It's not as though sex organs are totally sacred. No one objects to "mutilating" a patients' sex organs if that patient suffers from ovarian or testicular cancer.

Of course, it's also possible that the suicide rate has less to do with an untreated disorder and more to do with being treated constantly as a marginal, icky, sin-ridden person.

It is a disorder, but it's being treated in the wrong way. As the Fr. Mike said in the video I posted, all we are doing is encouraging them to live in this "fantasy" (for lack of a slightly better term) rather than actually encouraging them to get help. While it is terrible that the suicide rate is so high amongst this group, it does raise the question of whether or not the current method of "treatment" is really working. A lot of people who suffer from this commit suicide after the surgery has taken place. Sex organs are sacred as they are a part of the body which is sacred. The body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, don't forget. We are to treat our bodies with the same reverence that we would have upon entering a sacred place, such as a church where we believe that Jesus is present in the Eucharist. The same logic applies for the treatment of the body. The Holy Spirit dwells within us. Also, we don't know what it's like to be the other sex. I don't know what it's like to be a woman. I only know what it's like to be a man. I can't know whether or not I am supposed to be part of the other sex if it's impossible for me to know what it's like to be a part of the other sex. It just doesn't make sense. If God doesn't make mistakes, then why do people suffer from this condition? I think it's because they were given this cross to bear. We all have crossed to bear and the weight of each one is relative. While I am able to handle my (countless) crosses, someone else won't be able to carry mine and I won't be able to carry theirs. People who have this condition need to seek help, not false comfort and empty promises. The peace they feel from this procedure is only temporary. It isn't a lasting peace like that which comes from Christ. As far as "mutilating" someone's sex organs for, as you said, the treatment of cancer, that is much different. That's because there isn't really much else that can be done. If someone has to go through that kind of surgery for medical reasons then they have to do it. They aren't trying to change who they are, like they are with sexual reassignment surgery. The person actually needs this procedure and is still at their core, a man or woman and they aren't trying to deny it.

I will agree that we shouldn't be hostile towards people who are transgender. We shouldn't be hostile towards anyone really. But at the same time, they aren't being treated by having this surgery. It only lets them embrace this false idea that they aren't who they are supposed to be. On the other hand, aren't we all icky and sin-ridden? We all have sin on our souls. We all have different sins, but sins nonetheless. There's a difference between calling the person out on their sins to condemn them and to bolster yourself. We need to take a more pastoral approach to this and try to lead them back to Hod through gentle correction. Not enough to condemn them but enough to make them see that this isn't the way to do things.

That went on for much longer than I had planned. Sorry 'bout that...

But at the same time, they aren't being treated by having this surgery.

I don't know enough about transgender issues (or mental health in general, really) to comment on whether it's a mental disorder or how it should actually be treated. Still, I don't see why gender reassignment is out a priori for moral reasons.

True, the body is sacred, and we should pay it respect when possible. Even so, sometimes disease forces us to damage the body--as in the case of testicular/ovarian cancer. We sacrifice a part of the body to save the whole and improve its quality of life.

How is a theoretical transgender mental disorder any different, assuming that sex reassignment is a successful treatment? I can see the argument "sex reassignment doesn't work," but that's a contingent/empirical argument for which we'd need pretty rigorous research.

Edited by Chris-M