Lefebvre

British Embassy in the US forced to apologise for Burning of Washington tweet

The British Embassy in Washington DC has been forced to apologise after attracting the the ire of some Americans by tweeting a photograph of a cake celebrating the anniversary of the burning of the White House.

Sent from the official Embassy twitter account, @UKinUSA, the tweet showed a cake with a perfect miniature reproduction of the White House on top, flanked by British and American flags and surrounded by sparkler fireworks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11054506/British-Embassy-forced-to-apologise-for-tweet-celebrating-anniversary-of-burning-of-White-House.html

I thought it was funny, but then again I'm as actively un-American as I can muster.

Thoughts?

Guest Mike Spero

I'm as unpatriotic as they come, and I couldn't help but chuckle at this c,:

*awkwardly finds the cake rather nice*

Tbf though, I can see both sides. In the UK, we have plenty of historical events that we poke fun at in our own history: Guy Fawkes Night is weird, for example (no srsly google Lewes Bonfire night and you'll see the weirdness). And there's a really big is difference between commemorating and celebrating something.

Buuuuut it's a different culture and the British embassy needs to remember that. British humour is a lot more sarcastic and subtle than it's American counterpart; I know that when I read that tweet it's a bit of light humour because actually, that isn't offensive at all. Putting sparklers on a cake of 9/11 or something would be offensive. But it lacked tact because they're supposed to be the embassy and understanding cultural differences and sensitivities is what they're supposed to do.

And in all honesty, people getting shirty about the cake need to remember that the US hasn't always been the most tactful. I just need to point to the Olympics coverage for that; an event that was much more offensive than a cake with some sparklers.

Does the US broadcast it's coverage of the Olympics to other nations?

Guest JAG

It's legitimately American to complain about stuff you don't like - it's anti American to force someone to apologize for anything.

With one season of Top Gear, British "humour" becomes as completely understood. Trust me.