Lefebvre

Christian Mingle: the Movie ~ Because it can't get much worse

First things first: There's a movie based on the religious dating website Christian Mingle. Even better, it stars Mean Girls' Lacey Chabert (Gretchen Wieners!).

In a trailer for the hotly anticipated upcoming Christian Mingle movie (there must be some godly or ungodly reason we didn't notice this trailer sooner), Chabert plays a smart, successful woman who—you guessed it—is unlucky in love.

"Thirty years old and only a couple of lousy short-term relationships under my belt," she says in the clip. "But it wasn't for lack of trying, I dated!"

Just when Chabert's character thinks she's out of luck, a commercial for Christian Mingle flashes across her TV screen. She joins the site to meet guys but there's only one problem: She's not a believer!

Upon meeting the perfect guy, Chabert has to fake her way through being a devout Christian as she and her boyfriend fall head-over-heels in love. And if you haven't guessed it at this point, Chabert also finds a love of God along the way. You almost don't event need to see the movie now.

That's pretty much the entire article, but here's the link anyhow: http://www.eonline.com/news/578466/there-s-a-christian-mingle-movie-that-stars-lacey-chabert-and-you-must-watch-the-trailer-now

Ugh.

... If done right I suppose it has the potential to be one of those cute "so bad it's good" movies.

But seeing how blatantly Christian movies usually turn out.....

I tend to hate overtly Christian films. Two notable exceptions are Calvary (2014) and Romero (1989). Perhaps this is just because I am a panentheist who rejects an object-conception of God. It is the Jesuit ideology inside me which seeks to find God in everything and in everyday actions. God is not just found in the overtly religious. God is found in all good, true and beautiful things. 

I actually really liked Heaven Is For Real, but that wasn't made by a Christian studios, so the script and actors were good. I've also liked How to Save a Life, but that was when I was a teen, I don't know if it would stand up to my taste in movies now. 

I actually really liked Heaven Is For Real, but that wasn't made by a Christian studios, so the script and actors were good. I've also liked How to Save a Life, but that was when I was a teen, I don't know if it would stand up to my taste in movies now. 

I cannot abide Heaven is for Real as a Roman Catholic, because of its physicalist portrayal of heaven.

I cannot abide Heaven is for Real as a Roman Catholic, because of its physicalist portrayal of heaven.

Meh, that doesn't bother me. I liked the character development the most.

Guest JAG

Unconditional was super good up until the final monologue.  The director apparently didn't want that monologue to be in there, but the studio pushed it in (sigh). Every other Christian movie I have ever seen (less The Passion) has been really bad.

This is going to be the closest to a good Christian film we will have seen yet once it comes out: 

Guest JAG

Just watched the Christian Mingle Trailer - ugh.  Also, the audio mixing is bad.

Guest Mike Spero

I know those people mean well, and think that they're accurately turning culture in a Christian direction... And that's what should happen... But they have no idea that these horrible movies make atheists view all Christians like this...

...And ironically this dude is in fact a Believer...

Edited by Mike Spero

Sounds a lot better than "God's Not Dead", and still a better love story than Twilight.

Unconditional was super good up until the final monologue.  The director apparently didn't want that monologue to be in there, but the studio pushed it in (sigh). Every other Christian movie I have ever seen (less The Passion) has been really bad.

This is going to be the closest to a good Christian film we will have seen yet once it comes out: 

Meh, I'm hesitant about that one though. Lecrae is in it... I tend to not like Christian movies as their plots are simple and the quality is horrible.

Edited by God-Sent

Better than "God's Not Dead" is among the lowest of hurdles.

True. I think I'd rather watch the movie mentioned in Idiocracy as the bestselling film of the future (whose name is a curse word). Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about.

I think any "modern" Christian film (as opposed to one set in Biblical times) will probably be boring or bad. I just think there is a big difference between films about "Christianity" and films about "Christians". The Passion had so much potential, but I would have liked to see more of the actual story of Christ and not an entire movie devoted to the crucifixion. The Passion's movie portrayal of a crucifixion was probably longer than an actual crucifixion in real-time.

Haha, Believe me actually has be interested,  but I like making fun of Christian movies about as much as I like watching good Christian movies. I just don't see them in theaters if I plan on making fun of them.

The Passion had so much potential, but I would have liked to see more of the actual story of Christ and not an entire movie devoted to the crucifixion. The Passion's movie portrayal of a crucifixion was probably longer than an actual crucifixion in real-time.

Eh? The movie is called The Passion, it's about his crucifixion... The point of the movie is to essentially be the Stations of the Cross only in a larger, more dramatic, larger budget form. What were you thinking of going into the movie?

Eh? The movie is called The Passion, it's about his crucifixion... The point of the movie is to essentially be the Stations of the Cross only in a larger, more dramatic, larger budget form. What were you thinking of going into the movie?

I'm confused by your reply. I said I would have preferred that the movie include more about the story about the Christ instead of mainly being about the crucifixion, and your response basically iterates that the movie is, in fact, mainly about the crucifixion (???).

I'm confused by your reply. I said I would have preferred that the movie include more about the story about the Christ instead of mainly being about the crucifixion, and your response basically iterates that the movie is, in fact, mainly about the crucifixion (???).

My point is confusion. Kind of like, "How could you expect something other than the crucifixion when the movie is called The Passion?" The word passion comes from the greek word of "to suffer". When Christians talk about The Passion of Christ, they're talking about the time from when Jesus entered Jerusalem being hailed as the Hosanna to his death. It's a very specific part of the Bible and the majority of it is about the crucifixion. I'm just confused what else you'd want out of a movie called the Passion..

So... as a somewhat-kinda-maybe prominent Christian website... when are we getting "Christian Teen Forums - The Movie"  ?

So... as a somewhat-kinda-maybe prominent Christian website... when are we getting "Christian Teen Forums - The Movie"  ?

So what? A teen has a crisis of faith, joins CTF, gets more confused, and finds himself in a slight variation of the denom he started in and then accepts other denominations and respects them equally? A+ movie right there. We'll get Razzies for sure.

I actually think if the Christian Mingle movie remains comedic enough and "self-aware" it could actually be pretty cool.

My point is confusion. Kind of like, "How could you expect something other than the crucifixion when the movie is called The Passion?" The word passion comes from the greek word of "to suffer". When Christians talk about The Passion of Christ, they're talking about the time from when Jesus entered Jerusalem being hailed as the Hosanna to his death. It's a very specific part of the Bible and the majority of it is about the crucifixion. I'm just confused what else you'd want out of a movie called the Passion..

:huh:

I'm saying that "The Passion is a Christian movie about "X", but I would have preferred it to be Christian movie about "Y"" and you're responding that the Christian movie is correctly titled to be about "X". That seems more than a little weird. I'm not saying the title is misleading (I have no idea where the title is coming from) or that Mel Gibson tricked me, lol.

If Mel Gibson spent $25 million to make a movie titled "The Toddler Years of Batman" and it was about the toddler years of Batman, and your friend said "I would rather it be a movie about his adolescent years", I think everyone would be confused if you then pointed out that the title was accurate.

Or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. This is a surreal conversation, lol.

Guest Mike Spero

Oh God, no. A story about a bunch of pompous teens all arguing and thinking they're the protagonist... Man, Westboro wouldn't turn people off from the Faith more than that

Oh God, no. A story about a bunch of pompous teens all arguing and thinking they're the protagonist... Man, Westboro wouldn't turn people off from the Faith more than that

Appropriately so. And then add me in, "the wildcard."