Homosexuality, According To The Bible

Guest Mike Spero

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, never figured i would see so called Christians sink into such depravity as to accept homosexuality, sign of the times i guess

Usually, I am given to understand that being old fashioned also means a certain degree of gentlemanly conduct. I see that in your case, brazenly accusing those who disagree with you of 'sink[ing] into depravity", this is certainly not the case. Please, as a newcomer in our ranks, try to be more polite. The rude and argumentative new posters either forcibly integrate themselves or are swiftly ostracised, and neither is a very pleasant process for anyone.

So you guys seriously think that those Bible verses don't say that Homosexuality is wrong/an abomination/a sin?!? one of the verses literally say that Homosexuality is an abomination upon the Earth!! There is no other way to interpret it!

I completely agree with OldFashionedGuy! He is a very smart person!

The meaning of "Being Christian" sure has changed a lot!

Actually, depending on the translation of Bible you use, the tradition in which you illuminate Holy Scripture, and one's one philosophical leanings there are many ways that the Bible can be interpreted; and her individual verses as well. One might make a case for the legitimacy or lack thereof of those interpretations but that is no to say there is no other way of interpretation...

But yes, I agree, the meaning of 'being Christian' certainly has changed...

“There is but one universal Church of the faithful, outside which no one at all is saved.”

-Pope Innocent III, Fourth Lateran Council, 1215 

You should read "God and the Gay Christian" among other things. Those verses/acts are totally different contextually from their time to ours.

I suppose that is kinda similar to what I'm trying to say; part of my claim is to reject a literal, no-interpretation-necessary view of the Bible (which, in my experience, is the view held by a majority of Christians who view homosexuality as a sin).

I suppose that is kinda similar to what I'm trying to say; part of my claim is to reject a literal, no-interpretation-necessary view of the Bible (which, in my experience, is the view held by a majority of Christians who view homosexuality as a sin).

There is a huge world of rational, contextually aware, and open-minded Christian conservatism that still understands Biblical authority in a way that prevents accepting homosexuality as morally acceptable. It's not, mind you, a very loud voice when drowned out by pop-Christianity and fundamentalism, but it's a strong one. Too many people imagine that as soon as you understand the words "context" and "culture" and realize the Bible might have minor errors then anything it says is up for correction by progressive thinking.

There is a huge world of rational, contextually aware, and open-minded Christian conservatism that still understands Biblical authority in a way that prevents accepting homosexuality as morally acceptable. It's not, mind you, a very loud voice when drowned out by pop-Christianity and fundamentalism, but it's a strong one. Too many people imagine that as soon as you understand the words "context" and "culture" and realize the Bible might have minor errors then anything it says is up for correction by progressive thinking.

Depending on the extent of "progressive thinking," is there any real difference? 

Dude, the Bible itself says that homosexuals are an abomination upon the earth.

Plus there are many verses in the Bible that says that being Homosexual is wrong. Would you like me to tell them to you?

And yes, all sin is wrong, but being Homosexual is one of the worst ones.

Also, I'm not trying to cause an argument, I'm just posting what the Bible says.

One of the worst ones? Oh gosh, I guess we should ignore the murders, and rapists, and terrorists, and start going after those darn homosexuals

Edited by 60sBatman

*facepalms*

Batman60: Yes, murder and those other things are horrible too. Hence me saying "One of the worst"!

Lefe: Yes, some false translations say that its not a sin! Those translations were just twisted and misinterpreted to try to justify the sin of Homosexuality.

Nuh-uh. Yours was. (see? I can do it too.)

*facepalms*

Batman60: Yes, murder and those other things are horrible too. Hence me saying "One of the worst"!

Lefe: Yes, some false translations say that its not a sin! Those translations were just twisted and misinterpreted to try to justify the sin of Homosexuality.

I agree that sodomy is one of the worst sins, being in Catholic tradition one of the sins which 'cries out to heaven for vengeance', but it would really behoove you to back up some of your claims...

Aside from the specific question regarding homosexuality, what is the difference between "rational, contextually aware, and open-minded Christian conservatism" and what you call "progressive thinking"?

The rational, studied side of Christian conservatism takes scholarship, context, culture, and outside critiques very seriously, but nonetheless retains an ultimately submissive attitude towards Scripture and stays within historic Christian teaching. This kind of scholarship refuses to make Scripture stand up on its hind legs and dance a jig, but lets it be its untamed self. Yet it also rejects the nonsense present in fundamentalism and pop-evangelicalism, and trading one-liners and pandering triumphalism for serious discussion.

Progressivism doesn't work like that. Progressivism is serious about asking clever questions and using the apparent lack of "good" traditional answers to either correct Scripture or drastically reinterpret it beyond traditional boundaries. It works above Scripture, treating it as an ordinary collection of texts to judge with progressive values. While appealing superficially to "context" and "culture" in understanding Scripture, those words become nothing more than scalpels to carefully carve out what they don't want from the Bible. Real historical and exehetical scholarship is sidelined in favor of marginal theories that play into the postmodern Western worldview. Interaction with church tradition becomes subtly a game of bowling, trying to knock out as many pins as possible for the favor of a high score.

I was saying your translations were just twisted and misinterpreted to try to say homosexuality is a sin. #contextclues

Yeah, I still haven't seen those arguments to have any weight. "Context" is not a magic word that lets Scripture say whatever progressivism wants it to.

Guest Mike Spero

Look, I made this thread to share a common viewpoint that opened my mind up to the possibility of homosexuality being righteous. This isn't in the debate forum, and I hoped people could have at least been respectful. The world is bigger than all of you, and there are over a billion other Christians who all have different beliefs. Their are numerous translations, interpretations, etc, and it would do some people good to remember that they aren't the mouthpiece of God. Your theology isn't perfect, my theology isn't perfect, and neither is your pastor's or anyone's. Far from anyone to judge someone else's thinking because it contradicts theirs.

As per the topic of homosexuality, I personally am still at the point where I'm entirely impartial. I'm not homosexual, so I have no right regarding speaking authoritatively on the subject. Any homosexual Christian has the scriptures and Spirit to dwell in and find the answer, and I for one am not going to speak on behalf of something I do not and can not understand. But regardless of my beliefs, I'm not going to dismiss anyone's faith or thinking as "progressive" or "stuck-in-their-ways" if they disagree with my standpoint. I appreciate the people who genuinely fear that righteousness is being lost as Christians investigate into the traditional standpoint on homosexuality, and I equally appreciate the people who genuinely care for those born homosexual and who wish to see that people aren't held back for something that may not be as shameful as many believe.

If it's not too much to ask, as the person who posted this topic (with the ever-misguided hopes that people would be kind with each other's beliefs and interpretations), if this thread is really a dead horse you all want to beat: can you at least debate while regarding each other as God-fearing brothers and sisters in Christ who share the best of intentions? I'd love to hear all of your opinions, but I would appreciate it the over-all pompousness some people are approaching with was dropped.

Probably another mistrusted hope, but I'd at least like it if everyone gave it a shot.

Edited by Mike Spero