Jahsmun

Staying Focused?

I'm a freshman this year, yaaay. :l But lately, I find it hard to actually have motivation to go to class. I have two 3 hour long evening classes and then my maths and science class and hour three times a week. I've found that I've had a hard time actually attending class, like, I'll miss 3 weeks in a row, so obviously, I'm failing all tests with 0. I really need tips on good college etiquette and being attentive/having motivation. I'm at the point, where if it weren't for my fiance forcing me to go, I'd have already dropped out.

Well, here's the thing, you go to class in college because you want to do well and pass the tests and you know the only way to do well is to go to class and learn the information. If you're really not interested in learning or doing well on the test and you don't have career goals that a college degree is necessary for, I'd say drop out because then it's just a waste of money.

Yeah, can relate to this. I can get very sluggish when it comes to going to lectures because I'm a History-IR major and, well... I have three compulsory hours a week. I'm passionate about what I study but I'm a very independent learner, and everything's online, so sometimes I get lazy. 

I'm very routine orientated (so this may differ for you). I get up at the same time every morning, no matter how late I was out the night before. 9-5 I'm doing something productive: I do reading for my tutorials, I run errands, I work out etc. It doesn't have to be university work per se, but I treat work and play as "on the clock" and "off the clock". I try and put in 8 hours "on the clock" each week day and 4 hours at the weekends. There are certain lectures I plan in advance that I'm not going to for various reasons (normally they're on topics that I'm not covering in my tutorials... or they're just super boring). But, on the whole, if I stay organised, in my routine and set goals, it works. 

A website that gets recommended all the time is http://howtostudyincollege.com

Might help you, might not. I don't follow it to the letter because it's not compatible with my learning style, but he has some handy tips. 

In the words of Nike, "just do it".

Seriously, I can give you study tips till the cows come home but at the end of the day something like going to class requires a certain amount of commitment. For me, I always went to class. My dad kinda hammered the idea into me that each class I missed was $100 dollars thrown away and that was that. I also realized pretty quickly that although I *could* not go to class, study on my own and pass the class it made it a heckuva lot easier if I went. During my undergraduate career I found that *generally* {A few exceptions including chem *shudders*} the difference between a B and an A was tons of studying but that the difference between a B and a C was simply showing up to class.

Right, motivators. Straight up, your first two years are gonna be boring. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that the first two years is when you get your general stuff out of the way by your junior year things will start getting more focused and hopefully more interesting but you gotta make it through this first. Set aside times of the day when your on campus studying and stick with it. A designated time to study free of distractions (and for me this always meant out of my house) can help a lot with the "just do it" thing. It also may be helpful to find what your learning style is. Group studying can be super beneficial, if you find the right group, but really even just talking to people in your classes can help keep you accountable. You could also set up a reward system possibly {if your the type who responds to that sort of thing} and make it like a game "I attend 15 classes and I get to go to the movies" or something to that effect.

Good luck. The first two years of undergrad are hard but it gets better as you get used to the workload and what you have to do.

If you are paying for this, realize you're wasting money.

If someone you know is paying for this, realize that you are betraying their trust.

If the government/financial aid is paying for this, realize that you are stealing.

That is all.

You missed three weeks of school because laziness. That's not a rational problem a few pointers will fix. I'm no expert, but depression et al are a thing, and if they're your thing, you might need professional help.