Marley

Dead Beats (Game Thread)

Dead Beats

A Halloween Themed Band/High-School RPG

This Game is Currently

OPEN

NO MORE DEAD BEATS MEMBERS ARE BEING ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME.

NEW HUMAN CHARACTERS ARE WELCOME

(Especially dudes, we need those)

If you have an idea for a NON-BAND MONSTER character please PM me. I won't approve these "just because" you need to have a compelling reason for adding them to the story. How is their being a monster going to improve the plot?

(Go ahead and get your intro posts up!)

So who are we?

Dead Beats.

It's a label pegged onto kids like us a lot. We wear our hair to long, play our music too loud and party a bit too hard for most people. Its a bit counter cultural, kind of in your face, edgy and well... a little bit spooky at its core. From the beginning we all knew it would be a sick band name, sure to put us right up their with Poisoned Apple and Motley Boo one day. And you know what? It did. Back home we're superstars but here? Well, we've definitely got a following but most of our fans don't realize that we're actually dead...

Nah I'm totally kidding... Only our keyboardist is dead.

But we are all monsters. Lead guitar? Pixie. Vocals? Vampire. And me {drums btw.. hi} I'm a werewolf. A mixed bag of characters but we get along alright... usually. You see, we're new to the states... or anywhere. Until last year we kept things on the DLZ {Dimensional Lockdown Zone.... it's complicated, warlocks, force-fields, curfews... no bueno} but thanks to our agent we're officially almost the first band EVER to obtain inter-dimensonal-visas {score!}. We've done well this last tour. Sold out shows. Screaming fans. The works.

And then we realized that we're stuck... and there's this guy from our side of the woods {calls himself "The Puppet Master" ... weirdo} whose trying to start all kinds of trouble for the normies. Its up to us to stop him... before it's too late.

Tell me about these "Woods"?

The Dead Beats arn't from around here... and by that I mean they REALLY arn't from around here. They're from a place called "The Woods" an entirely different dimensional plain where witches, ghosts and spooks of all sorts reign freely. Its a large place and pretty developed. In fact, The Woods is a lot like Terra ("Earth" for you normies) but with a lot more goblins and ghouls. Think "Halloween Town" but the size of a medium sized country. Travel between Terra and The Woods is possible, but strictly regulated. In terms of alternate dimensions, The Woods is actually fairly "close" to Terra and so its possible for residents to "slip through" from one side to the other... especially around Halloween.

But you guys are on earth now right?

Terra! But yea, as of May 2014 Dead Beats has been touring in the states. The "Bumps in the Night" tour has been a huge success but now we've realized that we're stuck. About two weeks ago all contact was cut with The Woods. We can't go back to The Woods right now, we can't communicate with our families and other than a handful of monsters that are just as confused as we are everyone from The Woods living in Terra seems to have just up and vanished.

So what are you gonna do about it?

Well, our agent has decided to cancel several shows on our tour and keep us put in Salem, Massachusetts  (a hub for people moving to and from The Woods... go figure). He's rented us a house (A creepy old thing right next to a cemetery. Feels like home already.) And enrolled us all in Salem Academy of the Arts, a magnet school here in Salem that's about a half mile from the house.

An arts academy?

Yep. Salem Academy is still a public school but it caters to those with a focus on the arts. It has special programs for visual arts, music and theatre... They're theatre program is supposed to be ESPECIALLY good according to our agent (of course, he's just trying to convince us to even go). It's just a normal highschool but a little more... dramatic. I guess.

Game Rules?

Ya'll mostly know the rules but just to have them out there.

Past-Tense, third person for all posts to keep things uniform. Ex - "Rudy walked to class." not "I walk to class."

Please post your characters name at the top of each post.

Keep OT in this thread to a minimum. But if you have something to discuss please post it in the OT thread!

Try to post semi-regularly at least maybe.

Have Fun!

Edited by Marley

Rudy

In his dream, Rudy was running on all fours. Wind blowing through his thick fur and the smell of dead leaves tickling his nose. The moon shone above and Rudy ran without direction, enjoying the liberation that his wolf form brought him.

Now he realized that his step siblings we're running beside him also right beside him. Their forms we're smaller, leaner, and inky black compared to his mottled brown. "Rudy?" His little sister asked. "Rudy when are you coming home?"

"Huh?" The dream began to dissipate suddenly as Rudy realized what it was. He couldn't speak in his wolf form. "Don't worry guys I'll be home soon."

"When are you coming home?" His step-brother asked him now.

"Soon." Rudy said firmly.  "I'll be home soon."

"You need to hurry. It's getting darker. You need to hurry."

"I will. Don't worry."

"Rudy... Rudy! It's too dark."

"I'm coming!"

"Rudy! Rudy!"

"Ruuuudddyyyyyy..... Pst. Rudy. Rudy wake up."

The werewolf shook off sleep as the new voice registered. The dream was slipping from him fast but he remembered his step-siblings. He remembered their fear. Rudy growled softley as he remembered where he was and where he was was Terra. Specifically, Salem Massachusetts. In an old house by a cemetery, on the bottom bunk of a bed he was currently sharing with his band-mate Thaddeus Thorn.

"Pst. Rudy... your awake right? I heard you move?"

Rudy growled, "Yea Thaddeus I'm awake now."

"You we're making noises." Thaddeus said, "I thought it best to wake you."

"Why in Grimm's name would that be a good idea?"

"Well I also was going to ask if you would clothes the drapes..."

Now Rudy's eyes fluttered open, the room they were in was small and fairly dark holding their beds, a dresser and a couple of old chairs still covered in sheets. The only window had been boarded up long ago, which was why the room was chosen for the boys in the first place, and in addition a moth-eaten curtain had been pulled from some closet and fastened across the wood. Now, however, a piece of that curtain had fallen and a sliver of light fell on the old bunk beds.

"Rudy you know I can't sleep with the sun in here!"

Rudy reached down into the mass of blankets he had thrown off in the night and found his iPhone. 7:23am. They wouldn't need to be up for another hour, today was a late start and they didn't need to be at the school until ten. "Why don't you fix it yourself then you leech?" But Rudy was already getting up. He moved to the window slowly and pulled the drape over the light with an exaggerated gesture. He turned to he bed for a Thank You but found that Thaddeus had already turned over and gone back to sleep.

For Rudy, though, sleep would be impossible. He was still riled from the dream, even if he couldn't remember what it was. Fumbling in the dark, Rudy dressed and then left the room, closing the door not-so-quietly behind him. He passed the bathroom where Naunet had been sleeping in an old claw-foot tub and further down the girls bedroom. The house, spooky and filled with cobwebs was much like home but more dusty. The stairs creaked as he moved downstairs and Felix, in cat form and talking furiously into a blue-tooth headset behind his laptop, glanced at him briefly before returning to his conversation.

"No I can't get hold of Mort. Don't you think I would have tried that by now? ..... No. Look I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen...."

Rudy grabbed an apple from the counter and headed to the backyard, surveying the silent graveyard down the hill. No ghosts there. At least not currently. In the Woods such a place would be thick with chattering ghosts, but not here. Here was only an eerie silence. And not the good kind of eerie.

The band's instruments had been stored in a shed, an old carriage house probably, near the house. Rudy moved to his drum set and started playing a beat that had come into his head suddenly. Most likely from the dream.

OT: Ok so its a lame start but its what I got. If anyone has ideas for anything else let me know. I'm thinking we can have our charries interact  bit then move to school... with whatever charries we find there. The game is now OPEN. Have fun. :-)

Zoe

Squeek squeek. Squeek squeek. 

"There!" Zoe trumpeted triumphantly as she sureyed the now spotless kitchen and threw the ash stained rag in the sink. Her attempts at practicing magic without her mother (and with her, for that matter) were getting messier and messier but she just couldn't give it up. Not only was it a hobby, it was her only connection to her mother at the moment. At least she had her pocket grimoire. 

Zoe sighed. She never imagined she would be back in the human world, in her old town, in her old high school. It was like living her nightmarish life all over again. Ironic, how she considered 'the real world', as most humans considered Terra, a nightmare and considered the Woods her home, real life. Anyway, at least she wasn't alone; she had the band, her family. That made her smile. And she had lots of distractions besides. Like magic.

And cooking. And cleaning. And homework and music and reading. She did anything and everything and night time was when she was active, like a nocturnal house brownie, since she didn't sleep. Thus, the magic shenanigans. Aside from blackening the kitchen she was sure the exploding hamburger (or should it be called a mini atomic bomb, condiments and all) had shattered the windows. But that had been over and hour ago and everyone, minus Felix and his singed whiskers, was still asleep. Those guys could sleep through anything. Hopefully the wooden slab that served as the boy's window was still intact or Thad was as good as a piece of toast.

"Mmmm, toast." Zoe grabbed another hamburger complete with toasted buns. These she had toasted in the toaster. 

Creak. Creak.

A disgruntled looking Rudy slouched down the stairs, pensive. Felix stopped briefly in his conversation to glance up at Rudy as well. 

"No I can't get hold of Mort. Don't you think I would have tried that by now? ..... No. Look I'm sorry but that's not gonna happen...." Felix's snippy tone no doubt had to do with his singed whiskers. And obviously the fact that they were all stuck here with no contact from The Woods. Not even Zoe's mother, one of the most powerful and respected witches, could not get through. And Zoe was sure her mother had tried to make contact as much as Zoe had. Her mother has always said that dreams were the best way to contact others in the mortal world, which put Zoe off the list of candidates. Maybe her mother would try to contact one of the others, possibly even Felix.

Rudy wandered into the kitchen but chose only an apple from the (artificial) silver fruit bowl. After a horrific allergic reaction incident, Zoe had removed all silver eat ware from the house. Rudy must have been feeling a bit moody because he didn't even glance at the array of breakfast choices laden across the counter. Pancakes, hamburgers, raw steak, nectar, juice, seafood delicacies, salad, tuna, milk. Everything any one of the band members might enjoy. 

She would have to save Rudy a hamburger for later. That is, if she didn't eat them all first.

Naunet:

Eerie green light shimmered languorously in the cold, deep water.  It did not illuminate the dark abyssal realm; rather, it gave hints of the forms that dwelt there.  A subtle sparkle from sandy sea botttom.  Greenish highlights cast upon the billows and whorls of black mineral 'smoke' erupting from a hydrologic vent, crowded with strange creatures that could only live in its shadow.  A sheen on the black body of a deep-sea fish with an oversized mouth filled with long, translucent, needle-like teeth.  Green refractions in the large, spherical eyes of another fish, eyes without irises or pupils, like clear crystal spheres.  Movement to her right: the red shroud of a vampire squid.

Then, in the darkness ahead, there loomed hulking cyclopean structures.  Neither barnacle nor anemone nor coral, nor any sea creature of this Earth dared attach itself to these enormous starscape-black megalithic stones, if it was even appropriate to call them 'stones.'  For these massive blocks were shaped and fitted together in accordance with a geometry that no human stonemason could replicate, limited to only three dimensions of space .  Their angles were a direct affront to every human conception of order and comprehensibility.  As she drifted into the hoary ruins, mighty pillars and galleries and lofty architraves seemed to shift and change in impossible ways, much like the way a hand's shadow on a wall can change shape, the fingers merge and split as the hand moves.  Strange sigils and glyphs were carved deep into the stone in places; the green light shone from within the depths of their impossible arcs and lines. 

To a human, this place would conjure dread, even terror.  It was disquieting even to Naunet, though oddly, a part of her felt...called to it.  As she drew further in, the water began to reverberate with a chant that could not be uttered by a human vocal apparatus, especially not in open air: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"  Those words, as unwelcome to the human ear as the city's shapes and angles were to the eye, echoed and resonated in bizarre harmonics weighted with the pressure of miles of ocean depth.

She continued, past squares and concourses and colonnades until she reached an enormous temple that would have blocked out the sun, if the sun's light shone down to such depths in the first place.  Within its  hypostile hall of enormous sigil-scribed columns, she saw the first sign of twitching life: the tip of a tentacle.  As she approached it, and began to follow along its green-lit length, it became apparent that it was not a simple tapered semi-tubular shape like her own.  Like the city in which she'd found it, it too, was a Thing from out of space and time.  To look too closely at it was to see past its translucent skin and glimpse internal structures from which the eye and mind recoiled in despair and terror, for they simply refused to conform to the feeble limits of those instruments of understanding.  

And yet, she pressed on, past the implied bulk of more of the tentacles coiling lazily around the mighty pillars.  They might have been the elongated bodies of the largest whales, the way they dwarfed her.  Finally, passing through a yawning portal into the temple's inner court, she encountered a mountain of subtly jiggling flesh, somehow gelatinous and impenetrable at the same time.  The head might have resembled an octopus, if "resemblance" could be said to link this Being to anything beyond the walls of fallen R'lyeh.

Cthulhu!

The Great Old One who lay beyond death itself, dreaming of visions so utterly alien they would instantly rend puny human sanity like tissue, or so the Elder teachings said.

She felt herself being pulled toward the slit of a heavy eyelid, closed for countless millions of years.  Closer, closer, until it filled her field of view.  Then, it slowly began to crack open, revealing--

Naunet awoke with a thrashing twitch of tentacles, stirring the sandy sea bottom into a cloud around her.  The water here was just as dark, but with a lightness of pressure borne of shallows not too far from the beach.  It was time to go back to the house.  The others had kindly accommodated her needs by letting her fill an antique bathtub with salt water.  She had spent most of her previous nights there, but with the real ocean so near, she could not resist the urge to test its waters a little more each night, learning the rhythms of Salem's people, and assessing the local oceanic fauna for any potential danger.  If she could make the ocean her normal bed here in Salem, perhaps the tub could be changed to fresh water for Iasis to rest in, or practice her water-shaping ability.

Squeezing herself into human form, using her chromatophores and a subtle change in skin texture to simulate a one-piece swimsuit, Naunet swam slowly toward the surface, listening carefully for the nearby presence of any humans.  It was still dark, so she was able to raise the top of her head above water, matching its reflection of the night sky with her chromatophores so she could carefully look to see if any humans were there to see a young woman emerge from the water without having recently been above its surface.  With the coast literally clear, she let her head's chromatophores take the "normal" colors of her human form so she could rise from the waves.  Once away from the beach, she found a shadow-shrouded brick wall she could blend into long enough to alter her form and texture to resemble a male in a hoodie and jogging sweats.  Her face shrouded by a "hood" shaped from a pair of her head-tentacles, she jogged home, letting her skin drip-dry so that she would not track seawater into the house.  In this form, Naunet reasoned that the certain types of human she might encounter in the pre-dawn darkness would be more likely to leave her alone, than if she wore the form of a teenage girl.

Walking through the streets of Old Salem conjured a mix of emotions: melancholy, bittersweet joy, and a subtle hint of fear.  The buildings whose shapes were little more than implied by the gradually lightening sky (not so different than the green-tinted highlighting of lost R'lyeh) were of the same era and architectural styles as those of lost Innsmouth.  They conjured the Elders' stories of that town, and what had happened to her people there.  It was like coming home, but also returning to a nightmare from before she was born.

Finally, Naunet reached the house where she and her band-mates lived, an arrangement rather like the one in which she had been raised.  Taking the brass key that hung on a slender chain around her neck, she opened the door and slipped inside, shifting back to her girl-in-a-swimsuit form as she closed the door behind her. 

Magic hung like a scent in the air.  Zoe, Naunet thought, recognizing its 'feel,' its axioms so different from those of her own sorcery.  She found it oddly amusing that the one dead member of their group should have a name that meant "life."  Of course, "life" and "death" were not quite as simple, or as binary, as the humans imagined them to be.

"There!" the

's voice said triumphantly.  The erratic "vibe" of this particular whiff of Zoe's magic apparently didn't indicate too catastrophic a spell-failure then.  There were other scents in the air as well: raw steak, salad, pancakes, hamburgers--and a pleasing variety of seafood.  Naunet lowered her eyes, then slipped silently into the kitchen, hugging the wall and instinctively seeking shadow.  Rudy dashed in, snatched an apple, and was gone, as ephemeral as a dust-devil.  Zoe was still there, however.

"Thank you for making all of this," Naunet said softly before fetching a plate and assembling a sampling of the seafood.  Despite being dead, the other girl's name was quite fitting: between her constant good cheer and her relentless industriousness, "life"-derived adjectives like "lively" and "vivacious" certainly applied to Zoe, as much as the saying "You can rest when you're dead" didn't.

Naturally, all of the products of Zoe's work, and any gesture of appreciation Naunet could offer in return were nothing in the face of deep time and boundless space.  With an internal effort, Naunet strove to view things from within the mental filters of her human side.  Yes, such things would matter--to Zoe.  And Zoe mattered.  Even in the face of Cosmic vastness, no matter that her existence (whether or not she endured for the next billion years or so before the sun made Earth uninhabitable) would be but the tiniest, briefest flash of light, she was valuable by her very cosmological rarity.  There was only one Zoe, and she would only exist for so long.

I should try to find something nice for her when I go out to sea again, Naunet thought.

Edited by Logos

The afternoon sky was bright and clear. The sun shone brightly, making the air warm. Flowers, blooming in all colors of the rainbow, seemed to radiate a light of their own. The shadows of the trees danced gracefully across the ground. Birds sang their tranquil songs while squirrels ran carelessly from tree to tree. It was a truly beautiful scene.

And there was Amaya in the center of it all. She was sitting on a hanging vine that had curved itself into a swing. The trees whispered stories of olden times. In the Woods, the trees had quite unique stories to tell.

After a few stories, the trees fell silent, as did all the animals. "What's wrong?" Amaya asked them, but they did not answer. Instead, there came the drifting voices of people.

"Amaya!"

"Amaya, where are you?"

The voices belonged to Fey and Bridgetta, Amaya's older sisters.

"Where are you?" one of them called again. "We need you!"

"Amaya!"

A sudden wind blew up from nowhere, sending Amaya's hair blowing wildly around her face. The sky overhead grew ominously dark. Even the bright flowers no longer shone their beauty, but closed their petals against the gust. The leaves of the bushes and trees broke into dozens of voices, all shouting their terror.

The frantic calls of Fey and Bridgetta were swept away in the howl of the wind as it grew ever stronger. Soon, even the cries of the plants were drowned out.

The sound of tree branches braking echoed all around. Amaya tried to call out but the swirling wind caught up her voice as soon as she opened her mouth. The vine underneath her shook violently. Her hands lost their grip and

THUNK!

"Ow!" Amaya said, now sprawled on her stomach on the floor. The old floor boards creaked as she pulled herself into a sitting position, kicking the tangled covers off her feet and tossing them back onto her bed.

For a moment, she sat silently on the cold floor. That strange dream was still running through her mind. It was creepy, and not in the good way. It had all seemed so real. The forest, the wind, her sister's voices. Amaya could have sworn she had really been there. But of course it was a dream. The day when Fey and Bridgetta admit they need Amaya is the day it snows in July.

Shaking off the dream, Amaya glanced around the room. Soft light poured in through a dust laden curtain, casting the room into a dozen shadows. Forcing herself to get up, she slipped around the room, trying to be as silent as the shadows themselves. She had no idea what time it was, but didn't want to wake any of her band mates who may still be sleeping.

After quickly dressing and throwing her hair into a messy braid, she slipped out of the room, nearly clipping a wing in the door as it closed. Voices drifted through the air as she strode drown the creaky stairs. Amaya could just catch a few random words: No...Mort. Don't you....happen.

As Amaya slipped into the kitchen, she found whom she had guessed the agitated voice belonged to, Felix the Cat-Man, along with Zoe and Naunet. She caught a flash of red hair as Rudy disappeared through the back door.

A whiff of something sweet met Amaya's nose. She glanced towards the counter finding a wide array of food, including a fragrant nectar.

"Thank you for making all of this," Naunet said to Zoe.

"Yeah, it was really nice of you," Amaya said and poured a glass of the nectar. "Good morning, by the way," she added, now addressing everyone in general.

Naunet:

Naunet was pulled from her thoughts by the arrival of Amaya Faerie.  As with Zoe, her name was a perfect fit.  Pronounced, it raised the question of her nature.  Humans who thought the delicate, charming girl was one of their kind would answer correctly, while still being ultimately wrong.  Anyone who saw her wings deployed might answer in the affirmative--and still be wrong, since she was actually a Pixie.  Ambiguity and mischief, core attributes of the Fae.  While Naunet's own origins lie far beyond the "ordinary" space and time the humans thought of as "reality," Amaya's natural habitat was the liminal zone between "reality" and "fantasy."  The shadow at the edge of vision, the passed-down tale of magical encounter, the trick of Glamour, the Changeling child, the studiously compiled yet unbelievable archive of Fortean accounts.  Relative to the humans, the Fae would never come right out and exist as a concrete reality, nor entirely go away.  Were they real, or not?  Adorable beings suited for the delight of little girls, or creatures of nightmare?  Maybe.

Amaya herself had proven to be kind-hearted thus far, her pranks intended as harmless fun.  From what little Naunet knew of her past, it seemed that her family and community might not be like her in that way.  She joined Naunet in thanking Zoe, then said "Good morning, by the way," to include Naunet in the conversation.

"Good morning," Naunet replied.  A curious saying, that.  Was it intended to claim that the morning in question was, in fact "good," or express a wish that it be so?  She resisted an urge to slip away and eat her breakfast in her bathtub.  The other two girls had much in common, things she did not share with them.  Both were pretty, bright and cheerful.  Zoe was dead, but her animation was a profound reversal of Death's meaning.  Her personality and relentless creativity placed her firmly in this world, more "alive" to it than many "living" humans, who spent their time zombified, staring into the screens of their televisions or smartphones.  Amaya was metaphysically connected to, and rooted in, the realm of wild Nature.  They belonged.  More than that, it was as if this world, so foreign to Naunet, would not be complete without them.

Unable to meet their eyes or come up with anything to say, Naunet took a bite of shrimp.

Edited by Logos

Thaddeus

Despite his attempts at being quite, Thaddeus heard the werewolf leaving but even after this he stayed several more moments wrapped under his blankets. It was not the warmth of them that was comforting to the vampire, since his body gave off very little heat, but the weight and the softness. Eli, his uncle and mentor, had found it disconcerting how much time the vampire had spent sleeping but for Thaddeus it was simply natural. He didn't get "tired" exactly but rather overwhelmed with sight and sound and color and light. When vampires "slept" it usually consisted of a sort of meditation. They we're still aware. But not Thaddeus. For him it was a deep and dreamless thing. Not exactly sleep in the sense of a humans sleep but neither the quiet meditation of the vampires. And really, Thaddeus didn't mind. It would allow him to blend in more with the humans, at least.

The vampire's eyes flashed open. Today was their first day at school. A human school. Strange. Terrifying and also... exciting. Thaddeus's energy returned with the anticipation and swung quickly from the bed. He could feel movement in the house. Zoe was up, certainly, she truly did not sleep and had been busy the last several days making the house more habitable. But the other girls too maybe. Possibly they we're filled with as much excitment as he was.

Thaddeus dressed quickly in elegant garb. There would be no "blending in" for Thaddeus Thorn. It simply wasn't his nature. Too long the world had forgotten his very existence, but no longer. A ruffled shirt, black jacket and soft white gloves. Aristocratic and speaking of a time of old. Ridiculous, he imagined, compared to the garb of his fans but that was no matter. When he was satisfied with his appearance, Thaddeus moved downstairs and found Nanuet, Amaya and Zoe in the kitchen. 

"Good morning ladies!" Thaddeus said, smiling broadly. "Are you ready for the days adventure?"

Iasis

The water Nymph rose long before the sun came up. Her type did not need more than a few hours rest a night, so she had decided to walk outside and watch the sunrise. Sitting on the grass, with her back on the east side of a large tree, Iasis took a deep breath.

"First day of human school sis," Iasis whispered, talking to her missing sister like she did when she felt nervous. "I don't know how this will go or how we're gonna blend in. Human culture is just so.... weird compared to where we're from." Iasis let out a large sigh.

After the sun finished it's assent into the sky, Iasis heard some drumming coming from somewhere behind her. Following the sound, she found Rudy drumming away. She just leaned in the doorway in his line of sight. Smirking, she said loud enough to be heard of the drums, "What? Are you trying to make yourself beat before school?"

OT: Sorry for the bad opening post and horrible pun!

Zoe

Just as Rudy dashed away Naunet slipped into the kitchen, closely followed by Amaya. 

"Thank you for making all of this," Naunet said softly before fetching a plate and assembling a sampling of the seafood.

"Oh, your welcome." Zoe replied through a brilliant smile and looked toward Nanuet's big, bright eyes. Nanuet practically face planted into the shrimp platter. It warmed Zoe's heart. She almost made eye contact that time. Nanuet's awkardness around non-sea creatures and her strong desire to stick to the shadows couldn't keep Zoe from seeing her uniqueness, her bright intelligence and quirky curiosity. 

"Yeah, it was really nice of you," Amaya said and poured a glass of the nectar. "Good morning, by the way," she added.

"It was nothing, really." Zoe would have blushed if she could have. Amaya was so kind, and her optimism was refreshing to Zoe. Her occasional small pranks were very amusing and Zoe had a lot of fun pranking her right back. 

"Good morning ladies!" Thaddeus entered, smiling broadly. "Are you ready for the days adventure?"

"I'll say!" Zoe said. "BTW, there are a variety of blood types in there." She pointed to the freshly stocked cooler containing Thad's blood bag snacks. She couldn't help but smile a little brighter at Thad's fashionable garp and talk. His vampire-y-ness couldn't effect her the same as it could effect living beings but that didn't matter; she found him endearing all on his own. Technically dead, really old, and a cryptic past: the two of them had a lot in common. And speaking of 'the day's adventure' and 'cryptic past's'...

Zoe felt her smile falter. Going back to the place of her death...Now THAT was a past she wanted to stay cryptic. She wasn't even sure that the others new that Salem was her old high school. She was open about being dead but she didn't want to rehash her old life. The memory of that time felt like being buried under a ton of dirt. And now, going back to school at Salem High, was like resurrecting old nightmares...

Suddenly remembering everyone else was in the room, she pulled herself out of her thoughts. "Hey, Iasis isn't still asleep, is she?"

Naunet:

Naunet only barely managed to avoid meeting Zoe's bright eyes.  Coming from Zoe, the radiant friendliness of eye contact was a gift; Naunet could only offer a curse in return.  She resolved not to destroy one photon of the undead girl's light. 

Speaking of radiance, Thaddeus glided into the room with grace a dancer could envy.  He looked like he'd just stepped out of a Regency romance or, well, a vampire story.  Naunet felt a moment's envy.  He did not have to camouflage his appearance, apart from "touching up" his scars.  Among humans, "the vampire look" was a fashion statement.  And naturally, Thaddeus wore it very well.  His charisma filled the room, and his every move and nuance of expression exuded a sure confidence borne of knowing that he would be adored everywhere he went.  There was a time when he might have had to fear mobs armed with torches, pitchforks, garlic, and wooden stakes should his secret ever come out.  Nowadays, thanks to a shift in literature's currents, it would be a mob of squealing girls.

Naunet felt no need for that sort of admiration...but would it not be pleasant to simply let her tentacles 'all hang out,' so to speak?  To be able to express her feelings with shifts of color and texture instead of the narrow repertoire the human form allowed?  She did not need her eyes to melt people into quivering puddles of desire.  To not bring them terror and madness...that would be nice.

"Good morning ladies!" Thaddeus said, smiling broadly. "Are you ready for the days adventure?"

Human school.  Naunet had never been to a school before, even in The Woods.  The Elders had tutored her at home, encouraging her to swim freely in a sea of knowledge broad and deep; it was everything else about human school that presented her greatest challenge.  I will shape myself to fit.  I will get to learn about humans in a way none of us ever have, she thought.   

"I'll say!" Zoe replied.  Of course she would.  Both literally-dead members of the Dead Beats would be...the life of the party.  Did she not go to this school in life?  Almost as if in response to Naunet's thought, Zoe's smile faltered for once.  Her light seemed to fade to gray, like the sun eclipsed by a looming cloud.

Suddenly, Zoe snapped out of it.  "Hey, Iasis isn't still asleep, is she?"  Master of camouflage that she was, Naunet was not fooled.  She drifted over to Zoe, to speak to her without drawing the others' attention, hopefully.  "Are you alright Zoe?" Naunet asked in empyrean, subtly melodious tones.

OT: Sorry for the bad opening post and horrible pun!

Don't worry, if you stick to it, you'll get into the rhythm of things.  *Ba-dum-tish!*

Desire:

Desire glided out of the dance studio with a towel draped over her shoulders, wearing a red and white Mod-style minidress over black yoga pants.  Purchased in Venice, the minidress was more expensive than most students' regular school clothes.  It was one of Desire's workout outfits.  The fingers of one hand were hooked through the hanger of a leather garment bag slung over her back.  That held her actual school clothes, which she'd change into after she hit the showers.

Spotting a strange banner being hung over the main hallway opposite the front entrance, Desire stopped short.  "WELCOME DEAD BEATS," it said. That's a bit rude to the new people, isn't...oh, she thought.  The words "Dead Beats" were written in one of those spooky antique typefaces meant to be carved into Gothic cathedrals, or tombstones.  Vines with black roses climbed and spiraled 'round the letters which, on closer inspection proved to be assembled from bones.  The logo for the Dead Beats.

That connection made, Desire vaguely recognized the students who were putting it up: members of the school's Dead Beats Fan Club.  The "Monster Band" was especially popular here in Salem, the Academy a hotbed of its fandom.  Like her, the fans had come in before regular classes started.  Unlike her, they had a purpose other than an extra hour's worth of warmup, workout, and dance practice.   Confidently, she strode up to one of them, a bookworm with a German last name, 'Wizenshaft' or something like that.  The awkward girl was not a threat outside of academic classes; a bit of a laughingstock, actually.  Not that Desire ever felt the need to laugh at her, even if her "friends" did at times.

"The Dead Beats are playing here?  Today?" she asked the girl.  Sometimes the school held assemblies, where professional musicians or other performing artists would give a show, then offer success tips or stories from their careers, as a way to provide inspiration for the students.  It seemed a bit odd though, that a group as successful as the Dead Beats would be booked without the upcoming assembly being announced prior to their actual arrival.

OOC: Munster, I hope you don't mind me "maneuvering" Piper and the Fan Club this way.  Also, for clarity, Desire only thinks the Dead Beats are scheduled for an assembly because she doesn't know they're going to be students.      

Piper awoke to the sound of her alarm, she pulled the blankets up over her head ready to go back to sleep when the day hit her. It was the day that her favorite band would be attending her school. She threw her blankets off of herself and flew from her bed. She had to be early so she could help the fan club hand the banner they had been working on. She quickly brushed her hair and ran out of her room only to be stopped by her grandma. "Don't forget to eat breakfast, and you have to close the shop tonight, because I have somewhere to be." Piper grabbed a piece of toast and nodded. "I know Gran you've told me multiple times. I'll be there, I promise! I have to go, I promised the group that  I would be early." Her grandma looked up from the paper, "Is this that group for the band? I don't like how much time you spend obsessing over some group of people that you will never meet." Piper sighed  "I know, but I can meet them, and I love their music, but really I have to go now, I love you." She kissed the top of her grandma's head then ran out of the door and hopped on her bike. 

-----------------------------A few minutes later--------------------------------------------

"Whoever designed this did a really good job. It looks almost professional, I guess this is what you get when you go to a school for the arts. I wonder if they'll like it..." Piper continued as the two hanging the poster glanced at each other and rolled their eyes. Neither of them were listening anymore little to Piper's knowledge. 

"The Dead Beats are playing here?  Today?

Piper turned to the girl and smiled, "You don't know? They aren't playing here, well I guess they could eventually, that would be sooo cool. It's so much better than that! The band members are going to start attending school here! I mean their going to be actual students, who would have thought..." Piper stopped herself suddenly, seeing the familiar look on the girls face. What was her name? "I'm sorry, that tends to happen when I get excited, or really all the time. The members of Dead Beats are going to attend school here. I don't know why, it's probably because they are all super talented in music." She smiled, "So we figured it would be nice if our school gave them a warm welcoming!" Piper motioned to the banner behind her, "Hence the decoration." Desire! That was her name, she was in like everything, Piper couldn't believe it took her that long to remember her name, she was only one of the most popular girl in school. 

Desire:

Thankfully, the other girl was so wrapped up in her delight and prattling on that she didn't see Desire stiffen as if she'd just been stabbed in the back.  Desire felt like one of the football players might, stepping out onto the field for the Homecoming game, only to find that the other school had the Patriots "subbing" for their team.  "Oh.  Well.  No wonder you're happy," she said, doing her best to keep up her cool, confident exterior.  "You'll probably get to meet them sooner or later."  She glanced up at the banner.  "Nicely done, by the way.  Excuse me," she said, then took off for the locker room at a brisk pace. 

OK, how am I supposed to compete with them?  They've got a record deal and a tour!, Desire thought.  It probably would have been better if they'd had a platinum album or a Super Bowl halftime show under their belts.  At least then, Mother might not seriously expect her to show them up.  Do better in classes and on assignments?  But even if I do, no one's stringing up a 'Welcome Desire Winslow' banner!  Maybe I could orchestrate a 'Battle of the Bands,' like a Beat the Pro tournament in golf?  Then I'd need to form a band...

OOC:

No, Jazzy, your post isn't awful. :)  One quick suggestion though: please try to keep your character's time in sync with the other characters' time.  It helps to avoid confusion as to who's where and when, so each player can know when it's plausible for their character(s) to encounter which other character(s).  In this case, Desire and Piper are at school prior to regular school hours, and the DB's are still at home having breakfast.  You described Sierra as being late for school, so the rest of us can't interact with her without causing some wibbly wobbly timey-wimey issues. :)  If no one beats me to it, I'll have one of my characters interact with Sierra as soon as we catch up to her time frame.

Rudy

The werewolf continued to play for several minutes, occasionally stopping to jot something down on a notebook. Suddenly a voice broke through the drumming, "What? Are you trying to make yourself beat before school?"

Rudy shot a devilish glare at the water nymph and picked up the intensity of his drumming in an impromptu drum-solo. The carriage house windows rattled as he played and dust loosened from the rafters, catching the morning light. "Well you know me...." He shouted over the ruckus, "I just get so dog-gone tired..." The wolf laughed and ended the measure, twirling the sticks as he finished. "Gotta keep practicing ya know? Otherwise the band would be in... hot water." He looked back at the drums.

Ba. Dum. Ding!

The wolf smiled at his own cleverness. The second pun had been pushing it, but that was two puns to Iasis's one and Rudy could never quite resist a challenge of wit. Especially from Iasis, for some reason he had always found the nymph particularly fun to goad. Thaddeus got offended to easily while the others were either too nice to bite back at him or didn't get his sense of humor. Iasis had just enough of a bite to be interesting. "I had rhythm I had to get down, " He tapped his fingers against a cymbal in demonstration "from a dream. Could be something someday."

Elliot

"So wait. Who is this band again?" Elliot's Uncle Benjamin asked teasingly, eyes still fixed on the road. "I don't think you've mentioned them before... well maybe once... or twice..."

"Or about a thousand times." Elliot laughed. Usually serious, his Uncle had a fondness for teasing humor something his students enjoyed the few times they got to see it. "The rock band remember?"

"That dress like monsters."

"It's more than just dressing like monsters!" Elliot said passionately, "It's about the music and the message and everything. Making something wonderful out of something 'scary'. Not being afraid to be different."

"So... like every other Top 40 band on the radio?"

"No. Not like that. You've had the same Eagles CD playing in this car for about three months old man." Elliot said, smiling. "You're a lost cause."

"Har. Har. Har. So funny." He put the car in park. "Well, I'll see you 4th period."

Elliot was already scrambling out of the car, a hammer and nails clutched in one hand. "Sounds good Mr. Snow."

--- Later Than Morning ---

Elliot was rummaging through the art rooms closet looking for the silver paint the Fan Club had used to accent the bones of the Dead Beats logo the day before. The Fan Club had been working on the poster all weekend, diligently planning for the groups arrival from the moment the message had appeared on the Dead Beats website.

Of course the website hadn't had all the information. It only said that the band would be temporarily suspending their tour and canceling four shows. It hadn't explained what the band would be doing or certainly not why they would be doing it. Part of that question had been answered by Kylee Jones though, whose mother was the assistant principal. Mere minutes after the annoucnement had appeared online, Kylee had posted an excited message to the Fan Clubs group text.

"Guess who's coming 2 the academy!!!!:D"

They had started met up at the school to start the poster that afternoon.

Finally, Elliot located the paint and poured a small amount into a tray. They didn't need much, just a touch up on the "t" where someone had accidentally rubbed the still slightly wet paint. Elliot scurried down the hallway, slowing up only when he saw the other students. Best not to look too excited. Near the ladders, two girls were talking one of them, Piper, Elliot recognized immidiately as she had been there with him all morning. The other he didn't recognize until she turned. Desire. 

The ever composed Desire was asking Piper a question, to which Piper was responding eagerly. "You don't know? They aren't playing here, well I guess they could eventually, that would be sooo cool. It's so much better than that! The band members are going to start attending school here! I mean their going to be actual students, who would have thought... I'm sorry, that tends to happen when I get excited, or really all the time. The members of Dead Beats are going to attend school here. I don't know why, it's probably because they are all super talented in music." She smiled, "So we figured it would be nice if our school gave them a warm welcoming!" Piper motioned to the banner behind her, "Hence the decoration."

Piper exuded enthusiasm. Desire, on the other hand, looked confused. Almost shocked.

"Oh.  Well.  No wonder you're happy, You'll probably get to meet them sooner or later."  She glanced up at the banner.  "Nicely done, by the way.  Excuse me," she said, then took off for the locker room at a brisk pace, brushing past Elliot without so much as a second glance.

Elliot reached down for a paint brush sitting near the base of the ladder then handed it and the paint tray up to one of the guys up top. "What's her problem?" He said to Piper, "She kinda looked like someone had slapped her in the face."

OT: I had a post for Thaddeus... and then it got deleted. I may re-do it tonight. May not. *shrugs*

Edited by Marley

OT: REDOING SIERRA'S INTRO.

Sierra

Sierra hated having to sleep as 'normal' people do. Normally she would be resting soundly as this morning sun arose, but instead she is now had to awake at this hour, and sleep when all her usual companions were about. Of course, she did not really 'have' to sleep. It just appeared 'normal'. She began to pull out some photos she had of a normal girls dress... She wanted to try and fit in with the school people a little more than some others. It was probably her 'mysterious but pretty' image that kept her up to date with style. She didn't understand why girls make it so complicated to get dressed. They have to have matching patterns... colors... She normally would just put on a black gown of a sort, or just fly about as a creature. This idea of normalcy was difficult for the girl.

She stepped downstairs, eyes a bright red eying her next meal. She had her 'vegetarian' dish ready, and was fast at appeasing her appetite. She realized how strange it would be to have her eyes flash such a color at the school, hence she had colored contacts. She heard black haired people usually have blue eyes, so she went for the normal trend. She looked to the side at her violin, awaiting her stone hands to grapple it once more. She put it inside its case, and started making her way to the school. She chose to do a humanly 'walk' rather than her vampire speed. "Why are humans so... incompetent to do what is normal to me?" She spoke to herself. She had a large pair of sunglasses, and most of her skin was evenly covered with layers. She was deathly afraid the sun would catch her.

Piper

Piper smiled and waved toward Desire as she walked away, "Ok, have a nice day then!" 

"What's her problem? She kinda looked like someone had slapped her in the face."

Piper turned around quickly, and almost ran into Elliot, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were standing that close...I should really watch where I'm going." She shook her head realizing that Elliot had asked her a question. She glanced toward where Desire had disappeared around a corner. 

"Who, Desire? Did she look like she had a problem?" Crap, you've done it again Piper, making yourself look like a buffoon. You didn't even notice that she was irritated with you. "It was probably just me rambling about Dead Beats, it probably freaked her out, so she got out of here as quick as she could." Piper shrugged, "It happens quite often really, more than you would think."

She turned to the banner and smiled, "I really am excited. I'm not saying that the members of Dead Beats will be my best friends, or that we'll even have a conversation, that will probably be for the 'popular' kids, but it's going to be really cool seeing them around school every day. They're pretty great." She turned toward Elliot, "How do you feel about it? Do you think they'll be everything that we thought they would be?"

Philip:

Philip glanced over at his rapier.  Though he had a properly sharpened rapier of the same type at home, this one was equipped with a #6004 "Nail" practice blade, so he could use it for sparring and matches with other students.  Both were exquisitely hand-crafted to accurately match the look and performance of historical examples.  Philip was a bit of a stickler for authenticity...  Despite coming to school an hour early, he hadn't had time to practice with it.

Instead, what he thought would be a brief finishing paragraph or two for a SCARE Story report on the Dead Beats had turned into something much more.  One of the school's fan club members, Kylee Jones, had asked him to do a write-up as soon as she'd found out they were going to attend Salem Academy.  The DB's had more than the usual quotient of conspiracy theory and paranormal speculation surrounding them compared to other bands of their popularity level, but Philip had dismissed it as marketing hype, until now. 

Oh, the Illuminati conspiracy stuff was pure nonsense, of course.  Look!  At 1:47 in "Embrace Each Other (Tentacles and All)," there's a checkerboard floor--and checkerboard floors are used under the altar in a Masonic ritual room!  OMG!  Because, nobody could ever see a checkerboard, or a checkerboard floor and think, 'Hey, that looks cool!' without a black-robed adept from Illuminati HQ showing up and saying, "Minions of Darkness!  We need you to put this in your next video."  And see, the keyboardist winks in the video for their cover of Johnathan Coulton's

!  That's the One Eye sign, you know, just like the eye-in-the-pyramid on the back of the dollar bill!  Proof!  Well, unless girls...you know, wink sometimes, without it being part of a plot to take over the world.  That's so secret that They make bands publicize it in music videos.

The next Big Mystery about the DB's he knew the answer to already, at least part of it: their next few shows were cancelled because they were coming here.  The reason for that remained a mystery, but at least he could rule out hypotheses like "they're being fitted with brain implants in a secret underground government base beneath Denver International Airport!" or "they're actually space aliens but the MIB's kidnapped them to keep them from initiating UFO Disclosure!"

Ironically, the area of speculation Philip thought would be easiest to solve turned out to be what had gotten in the way of his rapier practice: the hypothesis that the Dead Beats really were the monsters they portrayed themselves as in their videos, because look how realistic they are!  That should have been dealt with quickly with a few zoomed-in screen shots revealing the polygons and textures used by the computer graphic artists to simulate the lead singer's tentacles and the drummer's werewolf shapeshifting. 

Except...it hadn't turned out that way.  Not only was the polygon count so high that no CG artifacts were visible even zoomed in to the pixel level on an HD recording, the attention to detail was simply amazing.  Playing through a hair-to-tentacle morph at high zoom, Philip noticed that they replicated, in painstaking detail, the way an octopus or cuttlefish changed its appearance, simulating chromatophore clusters and the movement of dermal tissue to emulate texture.  Or in the case of the drummer, his wolf-hair looked just as convincing as his human hair, even throughout a shapeshifting sequence.  Ask any digital animator, and they'll tell you: hair is hard.  It takes enormous computational resources to model it realistically.  Even the big guns, like Pixar and Dreamworks have a hard time with it, which is why they stick to cartoony characters.  Try to do photo-realistic hair on a CGI human or canine--the sort of thing people see every day as opposed to cartoon closet-monsters--and the human brain subconsciously notices the shortcuts animators have to use, setting off the viewer's Uncanny Valley Alarm.  Not in a Dead Beats video.  Heck, the drummer's wolfy chest hair, after tearing through his shirt because his bigger werewolf body can't fit in it, comes out messy, just like one might expect in reality.  As opposed to a smooth, even coat which would have been much, much easier for the animators to pull off.

In music videos!  By comparison, the effects in something like Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" were laughably cheesy (and let us not speak of the costumes, poses, and dance moves, which could earn epic facepalms from the Ramses statues at Abu Simbel).  Perry was a huge star who should have had a much bigger budget for video effects than the Dead Beats.    

And so it came to pass, that Philip got to end part one of his investigative report on the Dead Beats (for now there would have to be a sequel) with a tantalizing mystery cliffhanger: he couldn't actually rule out the possibility that they were really monsters transforming in front of the cameras.  Stay tuned for part two of our continuing investigation!  Philip saved his file and snapped his laptop shut, picked up his trusty walking stick, and headed out to see if he could catch any of the fan club members, who would probably be finishing up their decorations just about now. 

Entering the main hall, Philip's heart skipped a beat when he saw her...then sank when he noticed how close she was standing to one of the male members of the club--Elliot Snow, Philip's mind recalled.  Philip had actually considered joining the club when he found out she was in it, but...at the time he'd hardly heard of the band, and pretending he was a huge fan would have lacked a certain...authenticity.  In the wake of his investigation, his opinion of their talents and originality had gone up considerably.  He definitely planned on going to iTunes to invest in their album.  That didn't mean he had any crushes on the female performers (he expected that Piper would always feel more "real" to him than Sierra or Naunet ever would), or would paper his bedroom walls in band posters or fill his closet with their T-shirts, or dress as Thaddeus Thorn for Halloween.  Could he genuinely join a "Dead Beats Fan Club" if he merely enjoyed their music and videos, but could not care less about how many dogs Rudy might own, or who Zoe or Iasis were dating?

"I really am excited. I'm not saying that the members of Dead Beats will be my best friends, or that we'll even have a conversation, that will probably be for the 'popular' kids, but it's going to be really cool seeing them around school every day. They're pretty great." She turned toward Elliot, "How do you feel about it? Do you think they'll be everything that we thought they would be?" Piper said.  Contemplating that image, Philip knew he would be cross with the band, should they decide to prefer the "elite" of the school to Piper and her quirky friends.

"I should hope they would have more interest in their fans than in playing high school popularity games with the likes of Desire Winslow," Philip said with a brief glance toward the back of the quickly departing popular girl.  "I'm sure they would be delighted to meet you.  At least...they should be."  

Then: she turned her eyes on him and hit hit full force that he was talking to Piper Wozencraft,  "Ahem.  Well.  I have a draft of the SCARE Story on them and...I thought one of you might like to have a look, and...perhaps answer a few questions about the band?" 

Edited by Logos

Thaddeus

Zoe, true to her character, smiled at his question. "I'll say!" She gestured towards a cooler next to Thaddeus's feet, "BTW, there are a variety of blood types in there."

"Much appreciated m'lady" He said, reaching into the cooler and paged carefully among the packets before selecting a pack of artifical AB+ supplement ("Laced with Horse Blood for Flavor!"). "Excellent use of human speak, BTW." He said, carefully twisting the top of the pouch. "Good to know you've been studying the 'text speak'. The primary means of communication among Terran highschoolers, I think. Your mastery of it has me LOLing with glee. FTW dear Zoe!" He turned to the girl, but she seemed not to have heard his compliment. "Uh... Zoe?"

Suddenly, Zoe snapped out of it.  "Hey, Iasis isn't still asleep, is she?"

Thaddeus thought for a moment, "She's been visiting the beach some mornings, honestly I'd be more worried about where Sierra got off too...." The water nymph, Thaddeus felt, could care for herself. He worried more about the young vampires ability to blend in with humans. Not that she wasn't genuine, she wanted truly to please their fans, but a young vampires thirst could be difficult to control. Despite the fact that Thaddeus looked younger his advanced age gave him an advantage in denying his thirst. "I worry about her off on her own."

Zoe, he realized suddenly, was not listening. Nanuet had pulled her aside. Thaddeus turned to Amaya, giving them privacy. "So what do you think of Salem, Amaya? Pixies are creatures of light in a way arn't they? You must be enjoying the chance to interact with Terra's flora and fauna."

Elliot

Piper turned quickly on heel, almost running into Elliot in the process. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were standing that close...I should really watch where I'm going." She said quickly, seeming momentarily confused. "Who, Desire? Did she look like she had a problem?"It was probably just me rambling about Dead Beats, it probably freaked her out, so she got out of here as quick as she could." Piper shrugged, "It happens quite often really, more than you would think."

Elliot blinked. Well she does talk quickly, but I don't think that's what was bothering Desire. Or maybe it was? Before Elliot had a chance to respond, Piper had turned to the banner.

"I really am excited. I'm not saying that the members of Dead Beats will be my best friends, or that we'll even have a conversation, that will probably be for the 'popular' kids, but it's going to be really cool seeing them around school every day. They're pretty great." She turned toward Elliot, "How do you feel about it? Do you think they'll be everything that we thought they would be?"

Elliot frowned, he hadn't thought of that. It wasn't that he had a problem with the band being popular, but he didn't like the idea that the band, people he looked up to, would be so easily swayed by popularity. "I don't know... I guess it's possible but..."

"I should hope they would have more interest in their fans than in playing high school popularity games with the likes of Desire Winslow." 

Elliot startled at the voice. He'd never spoken to Philip before but he recognized the smooth voice and distinctive style of speaking immediately. Elliot felt his cheeks redden slightly at the interuption, but Philip did not seem to notice.

"I'm sure they would be delighted to meet you.  At least...they should be." He paused for a moment, "Ahem.  Well.  I have a draft of the SCARE Story on them and...I thought one of you might like to have a look, and...perhaps answer a few questions about the band?"

"Piper probably knows a bit more than me.... I think she's been listening to the Dead Beats longer." Elliot instinctively took the paper as it was held out. He skimmed the article quickly catching key phrases and ideas, "Wow Philip," He said turning the page. "You we're really thorough." In all honestly, Elliot was a bit surprised with Philip's conclusions. He didn't think someone like Philip, who studied fencing and ancient greek would be interested in a modern rock band. "I like how you ended it with a hook but isn't it a little.... erm.... far fetched?" Elliot smiled apologetically, not wanting to offend the SCARE president."

Edited by Marley

Iasis

"Ha, yeah, dreams for you end up being nightmares for the rest of us," quipped Iasis back at Rudy. "Besides, we should both wolf something down some breakfast before going to school today. Otherwise you might be a little nippy with our new classmates." 

Iasis was proud, she was able to put one joke and two references to Rudy's heritage to the last sentence. It took her a lot of time to play the battle of wits with Rudy, but it was one of the things that kept her sane through all their tours and stuff. Her smirk faded a little bit as her mind went to their new classmates. 

"Do you think it'll be tough?" she asked seriously. "To blend in at Salem?"

Casey

He’d been wandering for a long time, his whole existence, basically. And this day in September was no exception. Not really much else to do when you’re…
Well…
dead. And not in the ground.

He’d wandered all over, floating place to place.  What else WAS there to do? He’d inhabited vehicles, cabins, that time he terrorized teenage boys at a camp…

If he had a body, he’d have doubled over laughing at the memory. That was great.  A body.
Supposing he still had a body, his face would have fallen. Instead, he just felt sad. Casey missed being alive, actually interacting with others. Having a body, being able to feel. Though, he really couldn’t beat the ability to pass through objects and manipulate electrical wires just by touching them.

It was on this day, in the morning when he happened upon a sign. “Welcome to Salem.”  It read.

Being the history nut he was, Casey was excited. He’d read all about the Salem witch trials and all folklore surrounding the area. This would be great.

So, he set off to explore as always. Being a ghost, he never needed rest, or breaks. He merely needed entertainment. He found himself near a cemetery first.

“Oh, fellow dead people. How quaint.” He mused. “Do you lucky dogs come out at night and stalk around, stumbling and moaning and reeking of dead flesh?” 

Even though zombies smelled, they probably did still have bodies, at least. Albeit, no mind. Casey did like his memories and ability to think. He passed on. Floating skyward, over a small house near the cemetery, he briefly considered the opportunity to harass more ghost hunters.

Oooh, Salem could be fun! He whipped by the house, peering in a window. It looked inhabited.
“Oh, yes.”

Curious now, he flitted about the wooded area, before stumbling upon the school.

If he’d had a face it would have lit up like fireworks on the fourth of July. Elated at this discovery, Casey immediately went inside the building and began to explore. He hoped to stumble upon some students soon and make their first day of class a tad more… how should he say? haunting.

Rudy

"Ha, yeah, dreams for you end up being nightmares for the rest of us," quipped Iasis back at Rudy. "Besides, we should both wolf something down some breakfast before going to school today. Otherwise you might be a little nippy with our new classmates." Rudy laughed, admitting defeat, but when he looked up he saw that Iasis's smirk had faded."Do you think it'll be tough?" she asked seriously. "To blend in at Salem?"

Rudy shrugged, "I don't know. I mean from what Felix says it's kind of a unique school anyway. An arts academy. Who knows, we could be the normal ones." Rudy stood up and moved to wear Iasis was. Gingerly, and after a moments hesitation, he put a hand on her shoulder. "I don't think you should worry about it."

And in a way, Rudy thought, that was the truth. He worried a little bit about Salem, about their secrets being revealed, but more he worried about how they were locked out from The Woods. Or why they were locked out. But he didn't think worrying would help.

"I think your right about breakfast. I'm starved, lets go see if the others are up."

Baldur

Baldur was just about to fall asleep when his alarm rang at the top of its lungs, screaming at him to get up for his first day of school. He quickly reacted by slamming his fist down on the alarm. As he slammed his fist down, he sat up, and grabbed a can of Monster. He quickly got showered as soon as he gulped down every last drop of Monster. Of course, he was well known for is slick greased lightning hairstyle. As soon as he finished up with his hair, he raced into his room and grabbed four things: his car keys, his sunglasses, his T-Bird Jacket, and his backpack. When he was done grabbing everything, he raced out to the garage and opened up the garage door. There were five cars inside, these cars were: a black 1970 Bentley T1, a yellow 1970 Ford Bronco, a black 1950 Aston Martin, a cherry red 1965 Ford Mustang, and his ride, the best looking one in the garage, a black 1961 Thunderbird. He ran over to the Thunderbird and started up the engine. He sat quietly for a minute to just listen to the purr of the engine, then he drove off down the driveway and onto the road, where he hit the gas and floored it down the road.

On his way to school, he came across a stunning highschool student who looked to be a cheerleader. He quickly slammed on the brakes and pulled up next to her and asked if she wanted a lift to get to school. He then introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Baldur".

Edited by Bryce B.

Sierra

Sierra looked at the boy, and his old school automobile. She was confused and scared of someone noticing her. She was also a bit excited, her heart saying A human! She held her face stoned without expression though. "Hello... I am Sierra... I suppose it would not hurt to have a ride. Are you new here?" Her voice was soft like an autumn drizzle, but had the depth of the ocean floors. The girl eyed the boy, trying to read his thoughts. "Would it be wrong to mention I am not a cheerleader?" She debated to herself. However, she chose it would be better to stay quiet of this, and wait until he asked her about it. She couldn't help but want to know more... She wasn't used to humans. "Where do I put my violin?" She said, showing him the case. She didn't know much about cars.

Baldur

Baldur leaped for joy on the inside. He then showed Sierra where she could put her violen. "Just set it on the inside of here and it will be safe. Now if you please, follow me up to the front," Baldur explained in a smooth voice. When they got to the front passenger side door, Baldur curtesly opened the door for Sierra. When she stepped in and sat down, he shut the door and got into the drivers seat. As usual, Baldur started up the car, and let the engine run for a minute while listening to the engine purr. Before he took off, he looked over at, Sierra, and smiled, showing his pearly whites. As soon as he looked forward, he gunned it and explained how he was gonna take a scenic route, through the old farm roads. These roads were easier to use and made traveling more fun. He decided to slow down a bit and he popped in his favorite song, Thunderstruck, by AC-DC.