Sign in to follow this  
miriam40012

How far should I go to fit in?

I consciously develop, practice, and refine social strategies whose sole purpose is to impress other people. I do this so that I'll be in a position to get things I want from them when the time comes. This frequently means making changes to what I'm used to doing.

It's not manipulative or machiavellian or disingenuine. It's just what you do if you want to be desirable, useful and well... competent. Sure, there's a limit--you shouldn't do anything you take to be immoral. But "be yourself" syndrome is silly.

Edited by Yves

I've never had to change how I acted, but I've always been good at making friends. Don't change who you are, unless it actually is something bad (like if you kill people, or like raisins

HEY, I LIKE RAISINS. DX ♪ Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends.... why can't we be friends?♫

Wear clothes, have good manners,  be nice, don't try to act like someone you're not, have good hygiene and you should fit in just fine.

For myself, I alter my behavior depending on the context of the situation, everyone does.

I used to have this issue very much. It was difficult for me to let it go, but eventually God helped me see I have my own special purpose, so I should be myself and speak my opinion even if it causes people to dislike me. If they only like me when I am being what they want me to be, then they aren't really my friends or truly know me! Just remember Jesus told us the world hates those who hate the world, I felt this verse helped me a lot through this difficulty. I wanted to do so many things to make people like me, and these things were very wordly, but this showed me that honestly these things should not appeal to me more than He does. God is the number 1 focus of our lives, so whatever trials we have we should go to Him.

HEY, I LIKE RAISINS. DX ♪ Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends.... why can't we be friends?♫

Wear clothes, have good manners,  be nice, don't try to act like someone you're not, have good hygiene and you should fit in just fine.

For myself, I alter my behavior depending on the context of the situation, everyone does.

Never, Raisins are the BANE of all existence

I consciously develop, practice, and refine social strategies whose sole purpose is to impress other people. I do this so that I'll be in a position to get things I want from them when the time comes. This frequently means making changes to what I'm used to doing.

It's not manipulative or machiavellian or disingenuine. It's just what you do if you want to be desirable, useful and well... competent. Sure, there's a limit--you shouldn't do anything you take to be immoral. But "be yourself" syndrome is silly.

Basically this