Sign in to follow this  
SavedByTheSon

How to begin again?

Through struggles and time, I've fallen spiritually. I don't really think I could call myself Christian anymore (which is why I haven't exactly been around). I want to believe and want to have faith, but I feel very far from God. It's been months since I read my Bible. Sometimes I get it out, but feel at a loss as to where to start. The whole thing feel phony for some reason and I feel stupid when I try to pray because I don't even know how to talk to God anymore. He's foreign to me. I'm beyond ashamed to admit this, but I don't know what else to do. Where do I begin? How to I start studying scripture again? How do I genuinely open my heart again to faith? I'm lost.

Thanks in advance.

As Christians we seem to caught up in the details of doing things out of routine. No matter how much one reads the bible, prays, or attends church, if they have no true relationship with Christ, are they truly Christian? As you said, you've been falling away from God, which is understandable, and maybe it's about taking small steps, and remembering you don't need to work your way to Christ, because Christ has worked his way to you. Maybe you need to rededicate your life to Christ, if that's what you feel. On another note, talking to God isn't anything specific, prayer is literally talking to God, as you would anyone, 

Maybe you need to lose God in order to find Him. That is, perhaps you are looking for God in all the wrong places. Take a step back and enjoy the beauty of the fall season. Run your hands through a pile of auburn leaves. Take time to enjoy the beauty of your child's smile, his laugh. I believe that you have to first find the true, the good and the beautiful, before you can find God.