Halloween

charkati350

So this thread has given me a bit of food for thought and I've been pondering: 

1. Historically, no festivity or celebration is immune from evolution. The way I celebrate Christmas, for example, will be very different to my Scandinavian and Nigerian counterparts: same festivity, different way of celebrating. The same is true of Christmas for me in the UK in 2014 compared to Christmas in 1514. Halloween is just the same: the way it's celebrated across epochs and cultures will be different. Continually focussing on the origins of Halloween as justification for viewing it as sinful ignores this basic fact: things can retain a name but change in significance. 

2. However, if we ignore the above, and we do look at the origins of Halloween, I'm not sure what the problem is. This "Celtic day of the dead" that people are referring to is Samhain, which was particular to the Gaelic Celts and marked the beginning of the winter season and the end of harvest. Whilst yes, there was a belief that the veil between this world and the next thinned at this time of year (like at Beltane), and events might be considered uncanny, there was nothing inherently sinister about it. Across the Celtic nations and across the Atlantic Archipelago (because hey! Celtic =/= only Irish), there were similar festivities and beliefs that manifested themselves in different ways throughout the year. They were pagan, not Satanist. 

... did I just defend Halloween? 

Thanks for the ideas, from the others too. As i said, (unlike Christmas) we didnt go thru that as kids, so i just read up and saw what other Christians are saying. Once i saw a JW give a response/testimony in yahoo answers and thought, why, he sounds more like a Christian the way he defends his belief/decision... Basically, it's a practice based on Rom. 14, is it not? I'd like to paraphrase or shorten these, but might as well paste what they said. After all, i'm also reading on these, no!

Amazingfacts (an SDA site) says:

Provide appropriate alternatives. Some churches attempt to guide people away from traditional Halloween activities to something better. Children will go to a church-sponsored and learn about animals, listen to a spiritual talk on Noah and the ark, and enjoy some innocent games. Parents are thankful to have an option for kids who are eager to go out and collect candy or dress up in scary costumes or attend public school events.

Refrain from a judgmental spirit. Perhaps your fellow Christians are working through how to deal with Halloween. Maybe they are not as clear or convicted as you are about what to do—especially those with children. Approaching them with an angry or critical spirit will not help them. Instead of condemning parents, why not invite families into your home for a short Bible study (age-appropriate), refreshments, and family-building games. Make it a time of worship and fellowship with the emphasis that as Christians the only thing we “hallow” is the name of our Heavenly Father to whom Jesus taught us when we pray to say, “Hallowed be Your name” (Matthew 6:9).

Gotquestions org said it this way:

If Christians are going to take part in Halloween, their attitude, dress, and most importantly, their behavior should still reflect a redeemed life (Philippians 1:27). There are many churches that hold "harvest festivals" and incorporate costumes, but in a godly environment. There are many Christians who hand out tracts that share the Gospel along with the Halloween candy. The decision is ultimately ours to make. But as with all things, we are to incorporate the principles ofRomans 14. We can’t allow our own convictions about a holiday to cause division in the body of Christ, nor can we use our freedom to cause others to stumble in their faith. We are to do all things as to the Lord.

2. Most of the candy sold during this season has been dedicated and prayed over by witches. Then we give it to children. (I am aware witches don't typically believe in Satan, but the things they do and experiences are curtesy of the devil himself.)

And, did you know that Jews sacrifice infant children to Yahweh?