ProudToBeJesusFreak

Dressing modestly

The only guide I use is what I'm comfortable in. I mean seriously, are skinny jeans really that that enjoyable to wear? :P

You could ask yourself these questions:

Can I move in it?

Is it showing anything it isn't suppose to?

Can I move freely without showing anything?

Would I meet Jesus In this?

Hope this helps :)

I guess the older I get, the more I realise that modesty is not just about what you wear. 

a) Have you got a modest heart? You can be clothed from head to toe and still have a heart full of pride. Remember that modesty is a character trait as much as it is an outfit. 

B) Context is key. Swimwear is appropriate for the beach, not for a christening. Be sensitive to the environment you're spending time in and those around you. 

c) Consider the image your clothing presents: does it represent your character, and the impression you'd like to give etc.?

Ultimately, much of modesty is subjective and cultural; it's hard to come up with a list of absolutes on the subject. I try and keep the above in mind when I'm dressing myself, and it seems to work out just fine. 

The only guide I use is what I'm comfortable in. I mean seriously, are skinny jeans really that that enjoyable to wear? :P

The answer to this is yes. Infinitely more enjoyable than having an excess of fabric flapping around your legs. 

Modesty is also very dependant on whos judging you.

Because of certain aspects of my appearance i get a lot of people crying about how "immodest" i look even when im covered head to toe.

Modesty, like Miss Katy said, isn't a clean cut case of "cover thine boobage", it's a mix of dress AND attitude. I know proper young ladies showing a bit of cleavage and I know the hoodie/ sweatpants/uggs/ Apostolic Pentecostal (uber long skirts) crowd who act like prostitutes. It's something that starts in your heart and is shown by your manner of dress.

Some people I know like to say "Wear your clothes tight enough so they know you're a woman, but loose enough so they know you're a lady."
My typical, personal, "recipe" for modesty goes something like this :

Manners. Am I behaving properly?  Am I doing things/dressing a certain way to draw attention to myself/my figure?  If so, I need to check myself before I wreck myself.

Are my boobs spilling out and trying to take over the world with their jigglle-bounce? If so, this top isn't modest and I should change. As a very well endowed woman, my chest will show no matter what I do, save for ugly turtlenecks. But it can, and will be subdued to some degree so I don't get a plethora of awkward stares,  terrible pick up lines or mistaken for Dolly Parton.

Does my shirt look painted on or does it fit as a shirt should? If it looks painted on, time to change! (or go on a diet, but still... time to change!)

Are my pants so tight the outline of my underwear is visible to the world/I have a visible camel toe or the fat on my thighs is visible? (ew gross) If so... TIME TO CHANGE PANTS! (underpants outline does not apply to workout pants. They are thin, I'm doing Zumba in the dark. Who the heck cares?)

Are my skirts/leggings so thin you can see EVERYTHING? Longer top or time to switch to pants. Or wear a slip, or panty hose.

Do my pants have holes in them? Where? Distressing of the jeans is OK for me, so long as they don't look like a panther attacked them.

That's pretty much it in my case. Everything else is a matter of taste and what you own. I typically wear nice tops, skinny jeans and knee high black leather boots. Skinny jeans are niiiice.

I really like the guidelines presented above.

For me, I just try to dress a tick more formal and a tick more modest than any situation demands (or what a situation demands according to the "average" participant). So, for example, people at my school usually go to class dressed very casually. Workout clothes are not abnormal. I make a point to wear decent looking jeans and nicer tops/sweaters most of the time and boom! All my proffs praise my "professionalism". :rolleyes:

I've also found that paying a little bit more for better quality clothes helps. Fast fashion and "trendy" things tend to be a bit more skimpy. By simply moving from looking for "cute" to "classy" things have gotten more modest. This also happens when you get older though.

I do have some rules I follow. No bra straps showing EVER (although I will wear tank tops and even strapless dresses in some situations). No tight shorts. Shirts must always cover the midline. But these are more just me. I've got a somewhat boyish frame, I think, so tops have never really been too much of an issue. *shrugs*

I'm much like Marley. I've always dressed a bit more formal than necessary, but it keeps me in line when it comes to modesty. My rules are also similar, I don't like skin showing around my midrift, so I opt for longer length shirts. I'm a very tall and busty girl, so despite the fact that an XL fits me just fine, I've continued shopping in plus sizes for the extra few inches on length. It makes me feel more comfortable to know that I can move freely and not be exposing myself.

I do like my clothing to fit well though. Overly loose or baggy clothes aren't comfortable. However when wearing skinny jeans I make sure the top worn with them is a longer one and that they aren't so tights that they leave nothing to the imagination. I also recently discovered a love for sweater dresses and leggings, but this is usually the only time I'll wear leggings. I view leggings as a form of stockings, not pants. They should never be worn as pants, unless you are a small child.

Are my boobs spilling out and trying to take over the world with their jigglle-bounce? If so, this top isn't modest and I should change. As a very well endowed woman, my chest will show no matter what I do, save for ugly turtlenecks. But it can, and will be subdued to some degree so I don't get a plethora of awkward stares,  terrible pick up lines or mistaken for Dolly Parton.

This is the problem i have given that my boobs are pretty much the size of my head, no matter what i wear someone is always going to cry immodesty and other less polite things

I wish everyone was a C-D cup. Big enough to have the "look" (or whatever...) small enough to be contained by a simple V-neck and not get death glares from mothers of boys or my own mother, who is a modesty monster. If I show even half an inch of cleavage, I get a death glare. hoodies save me.. But noooooo some of us are DDD's and gain a cup size every 6-12 months. e.e Mine aren't aren't as big as my head yet, but I bet they will be by the time I'm 25, at this rate. blah.

Ya know what? They're big, they're out there and so long as you aren't like, running around looking like you're *TRYING* to show them off and behaving like a lady (e.g. clapping a hand over your chest in a low neck top when bending over, not leaning over to intentionally show them off, etc),... I fail to see how it's an issue. Subdue the boobage to the extent you can and leave it be.  If someone is being rude to you based on your figure, it's their problem.

It's the same kind of logic that wants "bootylicious" girls to wear baggy pants or feedsack dresses. Erm. no. Not gonna happen. In my opinion: these blessed (I'm jealous) ladies should avoid jeggings,"painted on" jeans (which are unnattractive on EVERYONE) or using leggings as pants. Otherwise, rock what you like.

The nice thing is, now it's winter and we can wear camisoles for extra layering and coverage without sweating to death! :D

I wish everyone was a C-D cup. Big enough to have the "look" (or whatever...) small enough to be contained by a simple V-neck and not get death glares from mothers of boys or my own mother, who is a modesty monster. If I show even half an inch of cleavage, I get a death glare. hoodies save me.. But noooooo some of us are DDD's and gain a cup size every 6-12 months. e.e Mine aren't aren't as big as my head yet, but I bet they will be by the time I'm 25, at this rate. blah.

Ya know what? They're big, they're out there and so long as you aren't like, running around looking like you're *TRYING* to show them off and behaving like a lady (e.g. clapping a hand over your chest in a low neck top when bending over, not leaning over to intentionally show them off, etc),... I fail to see how it's an issue. Subdue the boobage to the extent you can and leave it be.  If someone is being rude to you based on your figure, it's their problem.

It's the same kind of logic that wants "bootylicious" girls to wear baggy pants or feedsack dresses. Erm. no. Not gonna happen. In my opinion: these blessed (I'm jealous) ladies should avoid jeggings,"painted on" jeans (which are unnattractive on EVERYONE) or using leggings as pants. Otherwise, rock what you like.

The nice thing is, now it's winter and we can wear camisoles for extra layering and coverage without sweating to death! :D

ah DDD that would be nice and small lol

Just realize that alot of A cups would kill for your figure. =P

and then immediately regret what theyve done lol

Personally, I dress in a t-shirt and bootcut jeans every day, but different people have different styles, so I'd recommend when you go shopping look for things that you like from the womens section, not the juniors or teens, as clothing intended for women in their 30's or 40's is usually more modest. Generally speaking, there will be something there that you'll like and can see yourself wearing, as there's usually a pretty diverse selection. Hope this helps.

I usually define modest clothing as this

-No cleavage is showing, or someone really has to eyeball your boobies to see it.

- Skirts, shorts, and dresses ABOVE mid-thigh are unacceptable. This afterall is leaning on showing too much skin

-No mid drifts.

-The clothing has classy wording on it (you really shouldn't go around wearing a shirt that say I AM BETTER THAN YOU) XD

-I don't prefer to wear anything totally sleeveless

those are my guidelines, others may be different.

Nothing is more scarier than seeing a big woman wear short shorts and eveything is hanging loose. >.<

Nothing is more scarier than seeing a big woman wear short shorts and eveything is hanging loose. >.<

You shop at Walmart, I can tell. :P

I'm all for body confidence, but if you can be confident that your body is  200lbs overweight, it's time to put more clothes on, or take more pounds off.

I feel like women mistake confidence for how much they're willing to flaunt.

I just wear what is comfortable for me, and that's typically something that I can bend over in without getting PG13 or anything.

*shudders* 

I'm all for body confidence, but if you can be confident that your body is  200lbs overweight, it's time to put more clothes on, or take more pounds off.

XD This is great!

I DO SHOP AT WALMART! XD

Beyonce may be rich,but apparently she can't afford much clothing on her body.

Gold lamay leotards are very expensive.

Modesty, like Miss Katy said, isn't a clean cut case of "cover thine boobage", it's a mix of dress AND attitude. I know proper young ladies showing a bit of cleavage and I know the hoodie/ sweatpants/uggs/ Apostolic Pentecostal (uber long skirts) crowd who act like prostitutes. It's something that starts in your heart and is shown by your manner of dress.

Some people I know like to say "Wear your clothes tight enough so they know you're a woman, but loose enough so they know you're a lady."

My typical, personal, "recipe" for modesty goes something like this :

Manners. Am I behaving properly?  Am I doing things/dressing a certain way to draw attention to myself/my figure?  If so, I need to check myself before I wreck myself.

Does my shirt look painted on or does it fit as a shirt should? If it looks painted on, time to change! (or go on a diet, but still... time to change!)

Are my pants so tight the outline of my underwear is visible to the world/I have a visible camel toe or the fat on my thighs is visible? (ew gross) If so... TIME TO CHANGE PANTS! (underpants outline does not apply to workout pants. They are thin, I'm doing Zumba in the dark. Who the heck cares?)

Are my skirts/leggings so thin you can see EVERYTHING? Longer top or time to switch to pants. Or wear a slip, or panty hose.

Do my pants have holes in them? Where? Distressing of the jeans is OK for me, so long as they don't look like a panther attacked them.

That's pretty much it in my case. Everything else is a matter of taste and what you own. I typically wear nice tops, skinny jeans and knee high black leather boots. Skinny jeans are niiiice.

Well said. If you wouldn't wear it in front of God, don't wear it. That's how I put it.