ComedyMusicHistory

What's Your Favorite Ethnic Cuisines?

15 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite ethnic cuisines?

• American/Traditional American/Southern American/Diner American
    • Mexican/Central American/South American
    • Caribbean
    • Irish/French/German/Other European
    • Italian
    • Greek/Southeastern European
    • Polish/Eastern European
    • Middle Eastern/North African
    • Caucasian
    • Central Asian
    • East Indian/South Asian
    • Chinese
    • Korean
    • Japanese
    • Thai
    • Other East Asian
    • Hawaiian/Oceanian
    • African

Here's a new question to ask, what are your favorite ethnic cuisines? It's a multiple choice question. I realize I don't have every country, but I just did what I was familiar with. For instance the only Latin American cuisine I've had Mexican and the only Eastern European cuisine I've had is Polish. And I don't anything about Caucasian, Central Asian, or African food, but I put them in. My favorite food are...

1. Mexican

2. Greek

3. Polish

4. Chinese (not the modern kind you get at Pei Wei or P.F. Chang's, but the kind you get at old fashion Chinese restaurants)

5. Middle Eastern 

6. Southern American (well, I've never had real Southern food, but I think of it as high fat, really good breakfasts)

7. Diner American

8. Italian

9. Finnish (mostly just pasties, which are originally English, but they're very Finnish American)

10. East Indian

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

I ruddy love Middle Eastern food. Rich flavours, delicate spices, gorgeous colours - I'm a sucker for it. My dad makes this amazing Lebanese roast lamb with a rose petal and herb crust. I like really rich, complex flavours in food. One of my favourite parts of travelling is sampling new cuisines (or indeed, old cuisines in new places) and trying new flavours. I have a policy of trying everything once, and currently only have two foods I refuse to eat (cheese and onion crisps, and celery). 

Grew up spending large parts of the year in Italy, so Italian food is comfort food for me. Ditto traditional Irish foods. 

My favorite thing about living in Central Germany was the food. Spatzle, Jaeger Schnitzel, and the amazing Sausages. It was incredible. There was also this one food truck that would stop by this shopping center by our house. I can'tell remember what it was called, but he made these amazing sandwiches filled with Pork and Beef and usually some onions. You could also get this absolutely wonderful cream sauce to put on it. Amazing.

I also voted American food because of Louisiana. New Orleans may be one funky place but the food is always incredible. (Also, I'm pretty sure hot wings are an American Invention so, yeah.)

Lastly, Japanese. Sushi, man. I could live off of that stuff.

Edited by T.O.W.R.

Food from the countries of the Caucasus Mountains. Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Southern Russia that comes between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. I've actually had Ak-Mak Armenian Crackers. Which are really good! http://www.akmakbakeries.com/wholeofthewheat.html

I thought "Caucasian" was some kind of politically correct way of saying "White people."  Didn't realize it actually meant a region. wow.

I thought "Caucasian" was some kind of politically correct way of saying "White people."  Didn't realize it actually meant a region. wow.

A hundred years ago anthropologists thought people belonged to three "races". The "Caucasian race", the "Mongolian race", and the "African race" (then they used a term that would be considered a racial slur). All based on the three different head shapes that appear in different ethnic groups.

The "Caucasian race" included most Europeans, Middle Easterners, North Africans, Central Asians, most South Asians, and Polynesians.

The "Mongolian race" included a few Europeans (Turks, Hungarians, Estonians, Finns, Saami), the Khoikhoi and Bushmen of South Africa, most East Asians, Micronesians, Inuits, and Native Americans.

The "African race" included Sub-Sahara Africans, a few Southeast Asians (some Filipinos and a few Malaysians), and Melanesians.

And Aboriginal Australians were considered their own "Australian race".

I'm 98.25% European, 1% Ashkenazi Jew, 0.5% Middle Eastern, and 0.25% Central Asian. But I'm not Caucasian. I'm Mongolian. The shape of my head that is. I'm a quarter Finnish and Saami and I got the genes for the shape of my head from that side. So because of that I look like I'm part Native Americans when I'm not. It adds to my ambiguous looking ethnicity

Referring to East Asian and Native American people as Mongolian people faded out of use. But Europeans, Middle Easterners, and North Africans are still referred to as "White Caucasians" and South Asians as "Non-White Caucasians". When not all Europeans are even Caucasian. Some famous non-Caucasian Europeans are Renee Zellweger and Eva Gabor. And a famous non-European Caucasian is Aishwarya Rai. 

I think it's silly we call people who aren't from the Caucasus Mountains Caucasian. Like it would be silly to call people who aren't from Mongolia Mongolians. Especially when a real Caucasian is Kim Kardashian. 

And this doesn't have anything to do with food.

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

I ruddy love Middle Eastern food. Rich flavours, delicate spices, gorgeous colours - I'm a sucker for it. My dad makes this amazing Lebanese roast lamb with a rose petal and herb crust. I like really rich, complex flavours in food. One of my favourite parts of travelling is sampling new cuisines (or indeed, old cuisines in new places) and trying new flavours. I have a policy of trying everything once, and currently only have two foods I refuse to eat (cheese and onion crisps, and celery). 

I love garlic sauce and pita bread, chicken shawarma, chicken shawarma wraps, Middle Eastern dumplings, Middle Eastern lentil soup, roasted vegetables, baklava, and chi tea.  

Grew up spending large parts of the year in Italy, so Italian food is comfort food for me. 

My favorite Italian food is a traditional Italian sub with salami, pepperoni, ham, lettuce, tomatoes, on really good bread.

Mexican. <3

What are your favorite Mexican foods?

Mexican. The Texas girl in me loves a good Mexican restaurant.

Of course I wish I've been places to actually try the real cuisine, because obviously the Americanized version doesn't really do them justice.

Guest Meesha

What kind of food i like??? CARIBBEAN CUISINE ALL THE WAY :woot: Our food is exploding with flavours and different taste, just like our region is explosive with different cultures ;) We are the best :D