T.O.W.R.

18 Year-Old Wins by Landslide

Well that's just silly. A belief should be valued for its truth, not for its novelty. If it is valid, who really cares where it comes from?

I agree with you that if the belief is truly valued, then I completly understand, but if you just believe in that idea just to believe, thats silly.

Guest JAG

Because you should decide what you stand for, what you believe, if you just take on the beliefs of others, it doesn't really feel like your own, to be fair it almost isn't like your own, I completly understand if you totally agree with what the people tell you, but you shouldn't just automatically take it as true, and at such a young age, it's more then likely she'll just take on her parents views

In addition to what Ananas said - how can you be certain your perspective hasn't been tainted by someone else's belief, ever?

I don't know about you, but my dad has implemented me into his trade all of my life.  He's an architect, and ever since I was little he took me to work, used me to help build an addition on our house, my grandmother's house after her old one burnt, our cabin, etc.  I know a lot about architecture, but it's not the trade I took. My brother, on the other hand, did take up my dad's profession and is highly sought after because of the leg-up in education my dad was (and still is) able to afford him.

As an architect, your brother is judged based on his ability to bring a sufficiently high quality product to market. His ability to play politics in the business for architects is unlikely to make much of a difference since the efficiency of competition in that market is quite high.

Success in democratic politics, on the other hand, is determined more by demagoguery and navigating cadres of established politicians. Political machines and dynasties are able to maintain themselves over a long period of time by voting in ways that secure careers for other people who are part of the machine. But measures that assure job security for people in the machine do not necessarily map onto what is good for the body politic.

Because of this, nepotism is much more dangerous in politics than in highly competitive market jobs like architecture. Therefore, I reject your comparison.
Edited by Yves

Guest JAG

As an architect, your brother is judged based on his ability to bring a sufficiently high quality product to market. His ability to play politics in the business for architects is unlikely to make much of a difference since the efficiency of competition in that market is quite high.

Success in democratic politics, on the other hand, is determined more by demagoguery and navigating cadres of established politicians. Political machines and dynasties are able to maintain themselves over a long period of time by voting in ways that secure careers for other people who are part of the machine. But measures that assure job security for people in the machine do not necessarily map onto what is good for the body politic.

Because of this, nepotism is much more dangerous in politics than in highly competitive market jobs like architecture. Therefore, I reject your comparison.

Does it take skill to be a politician?

Does it take skill to be a politician?

Sure does. You have to compete against other demagogues.

Edited by Yves

Because you should decide what you stand for, what you believe, if you just take on the beliefs of others, it doesn't really feel like your own, to be fair it almost isn't like your own,

...what?

Guest JAG

Sure does. You have to compete against other demagogues.

Leading people, being part of a bureaucracy, making utilitarian decisions, all takes skill.  These are skills her father most likely has passed down to her like any other trade.  Once again, I'd say she is better equipped for the job because of her father than if he wasn't a politician.

Leading people, being part of a bureaucracy, making utilitarian decisions, all takes skill.  These are skills her father most likely has passed down to her like any other trade.  Once again, I'd say she is better equipped for the job because of her father than if he wasn't a politician.

I'm not denying any of this. I'm pointing out that there are significant cons involved in addition to the benefits, and I understand them to outweigh the pros. This is, I take it, a common position about families who go into politics together and who may or may not practice some or other form of nepotism.

You're assuming her father has these skills to begin with. While I'm not trying to say all career politicians are bad. I am saying that some of them go without mastering these skills completely, and it is very difficult to pass down a skill that you yourself are still refining. I know nothing about the politicians in question, but it is not unreasonable to assume that neither of them are fully qualified in the way you're expecting.

Guest Mike Spero

I don't see any way to guarantee she's being spoon-fed his beliefs. A lot of children want to grow up to be like their parents, and a lot of them succeed. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's also a brainwashed puppet of her father. I do find it very odd that anyone would be elected to any legislative rank at the age of 18, but I genuinely hope she has the capability to do her job and do it well.

Also, the first thing I did when following the link was scrolling down to see the arguments and jerk-ery going down in the comment section. Oh internet, I know thee too well