I'm not limiting this to antagonists.  Let's discuss anti-heroes, tragic heroes, and other characters from the darker side of the spectrum (and how they can act as antagonists in stories).

And, since antagonists aren't necessarily characters, we can discuss interesting conflicts in books and other media.  The antagonist could be a force or an institution.  It could be an inner conflict. 

I'm fascinated by antagonists in literature.  I'd love to know how many of you feel the same way.   

Abigail  

Edited by Abigail M

I would have to go with Sauron. Such a deep and profound history within the mythology.

Francis Underwood -- if, that is, he is the antagonist. If he is the protagonist, then I am right properly sunk. (House of Cards)

Beyond that, it is a near even tie between Thomas Eichorst (The Strain) and Joe Carroll (The Following).

Kind of like you, I love the anti heroes, especially Batman and Constantine, because of their rough pasts, and their will to still do good. Although my favorite antagonist is not a real person, but someone struggling to become the good guy, like most anti-heroes.

My answer is kinda cheesy. Ghostface from the Scream franchise. Spoilers ahead. Don't read if you want to watch Scream anytime soon. Also, I'm on mobile so I can't really do anything about it.

Imagine what it's like to be Sidney Prescott. First your boyfriend and your best friend's boyfriend kill your mom, then two random classmates, then your principal, then your best friend, before terrorizing you in your own home.

Later, the mother of your ex-boyfriend and your current boyfriends best friend murder two people in a theater that is about to show a dramatized version of what happened 2 years ago, then kill your classmates (including your best friend and boyfriend) just to find out that one did it for revenge and the other for fun.

Then a few years later, your long lost half brother comes in and murders random people all for the hopes of killing you.

And finally, your own cousin starts murdering her friends and her boyfriend and even her mother for fame.

All of this directed at you, just because of two psychos decided to go crazy. Ghostface isn't a person, he's an idea. A way of thinking. Ruin Sidney Prescott's life.

Two more antagonists I adore are Davis Bloome and Tess Mercer from Smallville. Both were introduced at the same time and both played the a different type of villain. It was something that started amazing and only got better the more they interacted. Then to see Davis referenced to in the future seasons and Tess become one of the best characters on Smallville ever, it was just amazing.

There are so many good choices. Since I am named after him, Albert Wesker is an obvious choice from the Resident Evil video game series. I adore Ikari Gendou from Shin Seiki Evangelion, the psychoanalytic anime series. I also love Shadow the Hedgehog. He is the main reason I kept up with the franchise for a good number of years.

On the subject of antiheroes, I don't suppose any of you know who Hiei is?

On the subject of antiheroes, I don't suppose any of you know who Hiei is?

Yu Yu Hakusho?

There are so many good choices. Since I am named after him, Albert Wesker is an obvious choice from the Resident Evil video game series. I adore Ikari Gendou from Shin Seiki Evangelion, the psychoanalytic anime series. I also love Shadow the Hedgehog. He is the main reason I kept up with the franchise for a good number of years.

gendowned.jpg

Count Olaf was always a great villain. I just wish he was more of a mastermind at times cause he was way more evil than the man with a beard but no hair and the woman with hair but no beard. 

Also, the Master is pretty great, though I would hesitate to say Missie. I really liked Michelle Gomez in the role, I just don't like how Moffat wrote her in and out without having her do much. The Master is the baddest villain in Doctor Who history. You shouldn't bring her in just for shock effect. 

Yu Yu Hakusho?

Yeah. Always thought he was a cool take one the anti hero.

Mr. Freeze. My favorite villain of all time. He's spurred by the love of his wife and the will to see her saved. He tries not to hurt people, but is so burdened by the desire to save his wife that the lines between right and wrong become more gray. I <3 him.

Loki, and LIght from Death note was a good antagonist. But you knew the outcome was always going to be the same.