Sign in to follow this  
Noel 1525

The current Pope

Since theres been some talk of the current Pope, and some mixed opinions, what do you guys think of him? I personally like him, even though I'm not Roman Catholic, he seems like a good person, who is changing a lot of things, and is over all generous. But what do you guys think?

I like him!

But then St. Francis of Assisi is my confirmation saint so I'm a wee bit biased that way. I've liked all the popes that have been around during my time. 

I think he certainly has the happiness thing figured out. He seems ethically enlightened.

I think the media is sometimes portraying him as OMG! TOTES LIBERAL! EARTH-SHATTERING! when he's not as revolutionary as they're making him out to be.

But what-ho.

I think the media is sometimes portraying him as OMG! TOTES LIBERAL! EARTH-SHATTERING! when he's not as revolutionary as they're making him out to be.

But what-ho.

This really is the truth. They underreport the conservative things he says big time. Of course, in my case that makes me like him better.

Why?

I know why! It's because he's at least a little liberal, is (like all Catholics these days) in the post-Vatican II tradition, and (as you said) changing a lot of things.

While Pope Francis is infinitely more reactionary than myself, I still believe him to be a good and earnest man of God. His message of grace, compassion and mercy is great for the reputation of the Church. It is his public persona that is his best quality, whether or not there is any substance behind it. 

I know why! It's because he's at least a little liberal, is (like all Catholics these days) in the post-Vatican II tradition, and (as you said) changing a lot of things.

This is exactly why, if slightly understated.

You Prots and your antipapist ways :P

you don't like him because he's Liberal? That's silly, he's a good man who's caring, and compassionate 

you don't like him because he's Liberal? That's silly, he's a good man who's caring, and compassionate

Congratulations. That doesn't mean he is either (a. a good pope, or (b. the pope in the first place. How Francis is as a person is entirely immaterial to how he teaches and governs the Catholic Church and defends the timeless and eternal truths of the Christian faith as jealously safeguarded by the Church. I do not think he does that particularly well, if at all.

I like and dislike him. He seems likea really good guy. But I do disagree with some of the things he says. I don't think it's healthy as far as someones spirituality goes. But I like him.

I like and dislike him. He seems likea really good guy. But I do disagree with some of the things he says. I don't think it's healthy as far as someones spirituality goes. But I like him.

What do you think is unhealthy?

I personally love this Pope. I think for one he is being very proactive in the problems of our Catholic faith today. Some of this includes the greed that has gotten into the Church, which he is demoting any priests or bishops misusing the money (for instance the German bishop with a 1 million dollar house renovations, like really? He demoted him and sent him to a different place). He promotes being non-judgmental, which is something God tells us to do. However, many of his statements ARE taken out of context. They should take it as it is, God told man not to judge because God Himself is the one who will judge.