Bethany Elise

To Those Who Are Married or Engaged

Ok, I'm curious what advice you'd have for a person who's almost engaged. I'll most likely be married before Christmas, and I'd love all the godly counsel I can get! Thanks!

Guest Mike Spero

Well for one, it's a lot different then you'd think. I'm not saying it'll be bad or any less perfect than you imagine, but it's way different then you'd guess. It's really wonderful being united with one person and feeling individual together, and it's really beautiful. Life gets more complicated and when a problem springs up on one side it effects you both, etc. My advice would be to just go head-first into it. Every marriage and relationship is different, and things will be beautiful and believe it or not they'll also get rough; no matter how much you love each other. Be prepared for the best thing to happen in your life, and also be prepared to face the great and not so great times alongside your partner.

Feel free to ask if you were wondering anything in specific and wanted more than a very broad answer cx

Congratulations! ^u^

Guest Mike Spero

Well the only misconception is really that "all marriages are bad/make people miserable"; I've heard that a lot. But things do get a bit rollercoaster-esque at times. As humans we go through phases, have bad times, get sick, etc. and now you'll be sharing these circumstances with someone else, and their's with you. That's the only thing that really caught me by surprise, admittedly. I don't even know how to explain it that well... You'll see, I guess cx

I'll see? Well that helps me soooo much, thanks for explaining XD jk The whole thing about when your spouse is sick was something I hadn't thought of before. I can definitely see how that would get annoying if I'm not expecting it

Marriage is about commitment. That's one of the biggest problems these days in society. Too many people base their relationship/marriage on feelings, which can come and go. Go into the union with open eyes and a dedicated heart. Realize that you might not always feel 'in love' with your spouse and that that's okay. I see a lot of younger couples make irrational decisions and end up divorced simply because they don't feel 'butterflies' anymore. That's not to say you won't ever feel that way again, just that marriage isn't ALWAYS sunshine and rainbows. You have to learn to work together as a team and unite as one even when you may not feel like doing it. But I will tell you this: even though it's not the easiest thing in the world, it's one of the most wonderful. I wish you all the best! Congrats!

Guest Mike Spero

Marriage is about commitment. That's one of the biggest problems these days in society. Too many people base their relationship/marriage on feelings, which can come and go. Go into the union with open eyes and a dedicated heart. Realize that you might not always feel 'in love' with your spouse and that that's okay. I see a lot of younger couples make irrational decisions and end up divorced simply because they don't feel 'butterflies' anymore. That's not to say you won't ever feel that way again, just that marriage isn't ALWAYS sunshine and rainbows. You have to learn to work together as a team and unite as one even when you may not feel like doing it. But I will tell you this: even though it's not the easiest thing in the world, it's one of the most wonderful. I wish you all the best! Congrats!

This ^^

No matter how much you love someone or how perfect you may be together, things won't ALWAYS be perfect. There will be rough times and you have to be prepared for them. And you shouldn't be ashamed either, you're both human and there's no way around them. If anything, be proud when things get rough and you stay together and stick through it; it's proof of your love and devotion, if nothing else. There will be hard times, but it's nowhere near being comparable to all the good ones

I think i'll be the editor though there's nothing to change :P

*great advice i'll use it when my time comes*

congratulations Bethany!