Sign in to follow this  
goxfiles

Secular music & faith

Hey there guys,

I swore to myself that I was going to take a break from this site, but I just want to chime in with a quick topic.

How do you guys feel Christian music impacts your faith? Does it positively contribute, negatively contribute, or do nothing at all?

I have had people recently tell me that avoiding all non-Christian and secular music and listening to Christian music only is a great way to keep your faith strong because it minimizes your expose to "worldly things"? Comments?

PS: This is probably posted in the wrong section, perhaps a moderator can move it.

To be honest, I think most popular music, both Christian and secular, is pretty shallow. Some while shallow Christian music can still sometimes be edifying, for even it can raise your eyes to God's love and grace and glory, it's not always so beneficial. In fact, I usually find more power in the occasional Christiany song by Owl City or Relient K than any artists on a Christian label. The only CCM guys I really enjoy or Tenth Avenue North and Sidewalk Prophets.

As for secular music, it's all about the content. Trashy lyrics that promote, revel in, or glorify wickedness should be avoided like the plague and do harm to the soul, but good lyrics, even when they don't say "Jesus," make part of God's good creation to be received with joy and thanksgiving. 

For all music, Christian or secular, I say listen to "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy"—listen to such things.

Christian music as it stands today is almost entirely fashioned from Protestant nondenominationalism, and reflects a conception of God which is foreign to me; therefore I don't listen to it. Black and Southern gospel are much more to my liking and I listen to it often but it doesn't feature prominently in my faith. Solemn Gregorian chant is a rare favourite of mine which I don't often listen to; but I find that it much better captures the richness of Catholicity and a powerful liturgical conception of God and His mystery which serves as a aid.

Christian music doesn't move me anymore. It also depends on what you're listening to cause I've had songs that have gotten me through some rough times that aren't christian music. Contemporary christian music (CCM) is REALLY dull imo. Doesn't move me at all. Bands like Hillsong,Bethel,and Jesus Culture move me in some ways,but not much. People like Chris Tomlin i just turn off. I just like the secular sound better. It sounds cooler. Im not saying top40 is better (and which it's not),but i finding a good band thats not soo top40-ish is better imo. Dont get me wrong,i like to listen to top40,but it's not like 2014-present. Most of the top40 i like is 2007-2012. Cause thats when i started to listen to secular music because my mom is all religious and only let me listen to christ tomlin and are local christian radio.

I do not listen to much Christian music because I find it to be vapid and devoid of content. When I do listen to Christian music it is mostly classic Christmas songs and Gregorian Chants.

Edited by Wesker

CCM music is bland, inane, and usually repetitive and recycled material. I have no qualms about listening to "secular" music.

Christian music reached its peak in the mid-to-late '90s IMO. The only current and active Christian band I listen to on a normal basis is Jars of Clay.

It all depends what you're listening too that is secular or "worldly". Obviously if it trashy, then maybe you should consider taking a break from it, but over all there's tons of music that isn't christian that is beutiful, and begs the question, why not listen to it. I don't like that many christian bands, but there are some good ones. 

It depicts on the secular music. I am very close to God but have a limited amount of Christian music songs XD

As mentioned by Nicene Nerd, you can find CHRISTIAN MUSIC within some secular musicians. For instance, Happy by Marina & The Diamonds and Whisperer by David Guetta & Sia. Both songs were unexpected, but BEAUTIFUL. As of Christian singers, I like Barlowgirl and Meredith Andrews, and Crystal Meyers. But to be honest Barlowgirl and Crystal Meyers have many songs that aren't Christian music, with the Christian music.

I think it is all based on what you let your ears hear. If you are listening to songs like Talk Dirty by Jason DeRulo or Anaconda by Nicki Minaj (just speaking of hits I have heard on the radio that are awful), You should probably reconsider the music you are listening to.

^ I am not ashamed to admit I jam out to Talk Dirty sometimes while driving xP Lol.

One of my favorite bands, U2, has written several songs that speak to my heart and soul on a deeper level than 98% of bands with the label "Christian" could ever dream to. Really, genre is nothing more than a way of organzing music in stores and on iTunes. It's about the song, not what label is attached to the artist.

Music is the worship of the soul, it speaks our truth and emotions, but it mustn't be about Christ himself to worship. I find Jesus in the practical things of the day. It's all about how the music speaks to you man 

^ I am not ashamed to admit I jam out to Talk Dirty sometimes while driving xP Lol.

One of my favorite bands, U2, has written several songs that speak to my heart and soul on a deeper level than 98% of bands with the label "Christian" could ever dream to. Really, genre is nothing more than a way of organzing music in stores and on iTunes. It's about the song, not what label is attached to the artist.

this so much

I think people get caught up in labels so easily, that they forget to enjoy things. Christianity isn't just found in one type of music, but any if you're willing to look

I think people get caught up in labels so easily, that they forget to enjoy things. Christianity isn't just found in one type of music, but any if you're willing to look

That's the thing. A lot of christians think if they dont say Jesus,they're not in the christian,or they're not singing in a "hymn" or churchy way. Then they think it's not christian. People like Lecrae are christians,but they don't rap/sing about Jesus ALL the time. That doesn't make them not "christian" enough or their music is bad. It just means theyre in love with Christ,but can talk about other things than,"I love jesus john 3:16!".