Legalization of Marijuana

Jesusismyticket

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think classifying marijuana as a drug on the same level as methamphetamine is ridiculous.

I think it should be legalized, I think industrial hemp should be used, I think it should be a substitute for pharmaceuticals if you so desire.

If you guys ever do research on the history of marijuana you'll see it was used a lot for many different things. George Washington and Shakespeare grew it in their gardens. The reason why it was outlawed initially was pretty ridiculous, too. I won't tell you why though, you should find out for yourself.

Here's the link, read for yourself: http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

Wikipedia corroborates: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_history_of_cannabis_in_the_United_States#Marijuana_Tax_Act_.281937.29

I personally think it is a bad thing.

Marijuana DOES inhibit normal function with the highs of it. It also can be addictive, despite people saying otherwise. While true it's high is probably the same as being completely wasted drunk, neither is good. Both are an certain worldly evil that should not happen. If you would not let a drunk person watch your child, neither should you desire a marijuana smoker to do so.

I personally think it is a bad thing.

Marijuana DOES inhibit normal function with the highs of it. It also can be addictive, despite people saying otherwise. While true it's high is probably the same as being completely wasted drunk, neither is good. Both are an certain worldly evil that should not happen. If you would not let a drunk person watch your child, neither should you desire a marijuana smoker to do so.

Can you provide scientific evidence suggesting a physical dependency derived from marijuana usage?

While true it's high is probably the same as being completely wasted drunk, neither is good. Both are an certain worldly evil that should not happen

I could call this a faulty comparison. You're arguing with probably which isn't a good choice for this because this statement explicitly states that you don't know. I could just as easily argue:

Being high on cocaine is probably the same as being on a caffeine high. Both may have similar features, but it's a very poor comparison to make. Being high is not like being drunk. Being drunk suppresses your senses, while being high tends to accentuate them. This is why people listen to special music when high, because they are more receptive to aspects of it, while when you're drunk you don't hear very well at all. If you ever go to a party where people are drinking and getting drunk, you'll quickly realize it's a shouting match.

And saying that "both are a certain worldly evil" isn't arguing anything. You're making a statement, but not an argument. You would have to probably validate this, or attempt to. But it would be hard, because the Bible never condemns marijuana. The Bible condemns drunkenness, but is drunkenness the same as being buzzed or tipsy? Is that a worldly evil? Perhaps the dying cancer patient smokes marijuana to create hunger they otherwise cannot manufacture, is that worldly evil? I think not, but you'd have to substantiate as to how it is.

If you would not let a drunk person watch your child, neither should you desire a marijuana smoker to do so.

If I'm understanding your argument rightly, this is also a faulty comparison.

Someone being drunk is not the same as someone who recreationally smokes marijuana. If someone is drunk, they are essentially incapable of being a responsible adult. But if someone was drunk last week, that doesn't make them irresponsible and incapable right now. Likewise, if someone smoked marijuana yesterday, that doesn't mean they're incapable of watching a child right now either.

Even if someone was drunk every day of their life say, after 10:00PM, that doesn't negate their ability to watch a child from 11:00AM-9:59PM. It may not be wise as you might not be able to trust them as a person, but the point still stands.

“Using drugs is a sin because it is an act of self-destruction and thus an offense against the life that God has given us out of love. Every form of a person’s dependence on legal substances (alcohol, medication, tobacco) and even more so on illegal drugs is an exchange of freedom for slavery; it damages the health and life of the person concerned and also does great harm to the people around him. Every time a person loses or forgets himself by becoming intoxicated, which can also include excessive eating and drinking, indulgence in sexual activity, or speeding with an automobile, he loses some of his human dignity and freedom and therefore sins against God. This should be distinguished from the reasonable, conscious, and moderate use of enjoyable things.”

-- YouCat 389 (insert the obligatory Ugh, YouCat)

That having been said, I have absolutely no problem with medical marijuana, or with people who smoke it recreationally. My exe used to toke up all the time, and while she definitely used to excess it also illustrated the valuable point to me that recreational users are not worthless, terrible people. Medical marijuana should be legalised, penalties for recreational use should remain; but not be nearly so harsh.

Can you provide scientific evidence suggesting a physical dependency derived from marijuana usage?

I could call this a faulty comparison. You're arguing with probably which isn't a good choice for this because this statement explicitly states that you don't know. I could just as easily argue:

Being high on cocaine is probably the same as being on a caffeine high. Both may have similar features, but it's a very poor comparison to make. Being high is not like being drunk. Being drunk suppresses your senses, while being high tends to accentuate them. This is why people listen to special music when high, because they are more receptive to aspects of it, while when you're drunk you don't hear very well at all. If you ever go to a party where people are drinking and getting drunk, you'll quickly realize it's a shouting match.

And saying that "both are a certain worldly evil" isn't arguing anything. You're making a statement, but not an argument. You would have to probably validate this, or attempt to. But it would be hard, because the Bible never condemns marijuana. The Bible condemns drunkenness, but is drunkenness the same as being buzzed or tipsy? Is that a worldly evil? Perhaps the dying cancer patient smokes marijuana to create hunger they otherwise cannot manufacture, is that worldly evil? I think not, but you'd have to substantiate as to how it is.

If I'm understanding your argument rightly, this is also a faulty comparison.

Someone being drunk is not the same as someone who recreationally smokes marijuana. If someone is drunk, they are essentially incapable of being a responsible adult. But if someone was drunk last week, that doesn't make them irresponsible and incapable right now. Likewise, if someone smoked marijuana yesterday, that doesn't mean they're incapable of watching a child right now either.

Even if someone was drunk every day of their life say, after 10:00PM, that doesn't negate their ability to watch a child from 11:00AM-9:59PM. It may not be wise as you might not be able to trust them as a person, but the point still stands.

Marijuana addiction: First off, there is evidence from long time users it can be addictive. This is actually the reason I used the comparison to alcohol. At first uses, it is not near as addictive as some other drugs. I do agree perhaps with a moderation it will not be as big of a problem. But like an alcoholic, if you use it on a consistent basis for a long period of time, it had addictive traits.

Withdrawal symptoms:

Marijuana addiction is linked to a mild withdrawal syndrome. Frequent marijuana users often report irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks.

Also this: Yes. Over time, overstimulation of the endocannabinoid system by marijuana use can cause changes in the brain that lead to addiction, a condition in which a person cannot stop using a drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life. It is estimated that 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become dependent on it. The number goes up to about 17 percent in those who start using young (in their teens) and to 25 to 50 percent among daily users.According to the 2013 NSDUH, marijuana accounted for 4.2 million of the estimated 6.9 million Americans dependent on or abusing illicit drugs.

Also it harms the brain with THC, which no one knows the full long term side affects of the THC within Marijuana yet, and what it can do to the person in the long run.

PART 2:

Now I think any drug used as a MEDICATION is okay. Medical related Marijuana is not a bad thing to me. This is because it CAN ease some people's pain or create an appetite. However, I do not think any drug should be used simply for recreational purposes. Medications or drugs were meant to be used as a help to disorders or diseases within the world, not to entertain yourself.  Now again I explained the reason I used the marijuana comment. I personally think Alcohol is also evil, though I will not get into this side. I think God would not approve the use of a recreational Drug, if he does not approve of Alcoholism. Simple point I believe...

I feel like Marijuana is more similar in effect to tobacco and alcohol than it is to cocaine or meth in "scope of destruction". I don't really have any moral qualms against legalizing Marijuana but generally would discourage people from using on more than a very occasional (maybe a few times a year) basis in the same way that I would discourage someone from getting drunk. I think incarcerating those possessing marijuana is a ridiculous waste of financial resources.

Because of weed's effect on the brain, I support the later "legal buy" age and am glad that in Washington you must be 21 and not 18 (such as with cigarettes). I think health classes in highschools need to focus on the real effects of overuse of weed in a way that is neither encouraging of the habit or damning. People driving high should get DUI's comparable to those for alcohol. As far as I'm aware there is no effective instant "breathalizer" type test for being high which is unfortunate in a practical sense. I would like it if the money gained from DUI's and DWHs was siphoned directly into rehab programs as well as a good portion of the "sin tax" revenue.

So basically I think of it as pretty much the same as alcohol. I don't condone regular crazy drunkeness but am fine with folks occasionally getting tipsy. Likewise, I really don't condone daily pot smoking but am fine with people occasionally smoking a bowl with friends. I'm still kinda waiting to see what some of the long term effects are and how we deal with them as a society.

I'll keep my personal experiences with the substance off the table. haha.

Edited by Marley

I too would basically view it on the same level as smoking and alcohol as opposed to hardcore substances. However I think because we've all been brought up hearing the word 'Marijuana' and associating it with negative things, it's a little harder to accept its legalisation. It doesn't come as naturally to my acceptance as drinking or smoking does.

I think pot should definitely be legalized, it isn't addictive, and doesn't actually cause harm. Even if you don't agree with that, it is definitely helpful to the economy. It also is awesome for creativity, like music and art/ 

This is depressing that you need a drug for creativity

I have never taken a recreational drug, and can be an extremely creative person. If you need an enhancer for the creative process, you probably aren't creative.

This is depressing that you need a drug for creativity

I have never taken a recreational drug, and can be an extremely creative person. If you need an enhancer for the creative process, you probably aren't creative.

The Beatles, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc all messed around with drugs, were creative, got off of them, and were still insanely creative. Your point is invalid.

I'll make a more fulsome post after I've done some research, but I would say that the anecdotal evidence has not made me want to use pot regularly. The pot heads in my life seem like chronic gamers--not addicted per se, but definitely given to wasting a lot of time and money sitting around doing nothing useful.

That said, whether it should be legalized depends on a lot of factors I'm just not sure about. My suspicion is that it would be better to legalize and regulate like cigarettes.

Edited by Yves

But does that make it okay?

NO. it doesn't. Many people were outraged when the beatles did it. sadly today few find it to be immoral.

I think most still find it to be immoral, it's just that with the question of legality on the table the question is becoming "is there such a thing as responsible pot use?". You can drink without having alchol take over your life, can you smoke pot the same way?

My answer would *probably* be yes but I'll admit this is going mainly off my experience with casual marijuana smokers. I've got some who I think their use is inhibiting them and some whose life seems unaffected and possibly even enhanced by the substance. I would bet that even Noel would agree that there are levels/situations where marijuana use becomes a problem and would be a moral concern but whether that necessitates criminalizing the stuff for everyone is another question completely.

I do question the "weed enhances creativity" bit though. I think it can but I also think more "creative" people/cultures tend to gravitate towards a certain amount of drug use. I mean heck, drinking (not getting drunk necessarily just having a drink or two) has been shown in studies to temporarily increase creativity. As Hemmingway said "Write Drunk, Edit Sober."

I'm not arguing for regular pot use by any means. Personal experience has led me to believe that when folks get to the point of daily marijuana smoking it is detrimental. I'm just not sure I can condemn occasional use.

Decriminialize marijuana, treat it like cigarettes, really. I don't quite see the fuss.

The only real issue I have is when users act as if there's no chance of developing dependence (whether physical or psychological, such as habitual users who tend to zone out and become spacey and lethargic) and that there are no long-term effects whatsoever, essentially treating the drug as a 100%-safe alternative to cigarettes. Still, I daresay most people know at least some of the potential risks, so what-ho.

I've seen people do drugs and ruin there lives. Almost every day on the my local news somebody got arrested for drugs/dealing/possession of it/around children. To me,it sounds like it ruins lives more than helping. People get addicted to that stuff a lot.

People become soo addicted to that stuff its not funny.

Sure this MDMA will make you float or you're higher than a commet,but is it really worth it?

The first joint you smoke may be amazing,but when you try it again,it won't be like the first time. So you keep doing it more and adding more drugs to get that first time feeling.

This guy at our church did drug dealing/did drug to get money for his family. He said it was the most dangerous thing he ever did. Not only was his life at risk from gangs/drug dealers,he was also putting his whole enitre family at risk.

Now,he's all sobered up and his family is ok. After he found christ he quit and did the right thing for him,and his family.