Sami_jane

Bored

9 members have voted

1. 1. ...

I wonder how Santa gets paid, like is it he gets a yearly grant or is it just per the hour, in which case he must get a small fortune ... My mind is in a weird place right now ._.

He doesn't exist, so he doesn't get paid anything.

You know, last night I checked the time and it was 11am... so I kept playing Civilization 4... then when I rechecked the clock it was past 1 am and it seemed like very little time had passed at all. :/

He doesn't exist, so he doesn't get paid anything.

You know, last night I checked the time and it was 11am... so I kept playing Civilization 4... then when I rechecked the clock it was past 1 am and it seemed like very little time had passed at all. :/

You're no fun in parties are you?

Civ has a habit of doing that ._.

video games are pointless!

i'm just waiting to see if the Codebearer game will break the mold or not.

-straightens tie- Rant Mode: On.

Video games are only pointless if you consider any other sort of make believe like films and books pointless. Video games, while still at the level where they rarely transcend above sub par narrative (the gaming industry currently has such low standards at what is permissible it's frankly embaressing), can occasionally, and have the potential to, do something that any other medium can't. All good games, even if they aren't the artsy type, bring the player into a world entirely new that they can interact with and therefore become immersed in the atmosphere, characters and mechanics of a world. If anything they can do this better than other mediums as the player is directly involed in what is going on screen and so can delve into every corner of that location instead of being restricted to what a camera sees.

Take for example.... Bioshock, even though it's an obvious choice. That game is all about an underwater dystopian city called Rapture which once was a place where great people could go 'and not be restricted by petty morality'. The whole place is partially based off of the philosphy of Ayn Rand and so is based around objectivism, and while it's not portraying possibly true objectivism it is showing a reality where it was taken too far. Throughout the world you learn more about the creator Andrew Ryan, each poster, each propoganda message, helps you learn more about the man and the philosphy he holds, heck even just by walking through Rapture it feels like you're exploring the man's psyche (sort of like the house is Psycho). Even small characters that you only know about in audio logs for two minutes feel real, and often rather heart breaking.

But yeah, I can go on about how the atmosphere builds up, how good the writing is and how incredibly amazing Atlas's Irish accent is, but if you think video games are still pointless even if just one example like Bioshock produces such an interesting man, philosphy, world and characters that are all worth of discussion, then... I completely respect your opinion :3 And I know I sound totally air headed and pretentious right now but i'm not saying a game has to have all this, stuff like Need For Speed and Tetris are all great on their own terms with their own merits. Oh and also i'm not saying Bioshock is the be all and end all, there's a great article on littlebobeep on it's shortcomings in terms of being a critique on Ayn Rand, but the fact it's a game that can be so engaging and an inspiration of such discussion, is a nice step in the right direction =)

So! Next time on 'I Take Everthing Way Too Seriously': Why I hate it when games are called 'interactive film' xD

not that many people know what Codebearer is I mean I never even heard of it til I met you

well, there was alot i didnt' know about till i met you all. like lurking and toasty guys and stuff.

-straightens tie- Rant Mode: On.

Video games are only pointless if you consider any other sort of make believe like films and books pointless. Video games, while still at the level where they rarely transcend above sub par narrative (the gaming industry currently has such low standards at what is permissible), can occasionally, and have the potential to, do something that any other medium can't. All good games, even if they aren't the artsy type, bring the player into a world entirely new that they can interact with and therefore become immersed in the atmosphere, characters and mechanics of a world. If anything they can do this better than other mediums as the player is directly involed in what is going on screen and so can delve into every corner of that location instead of being restricted to what a camera sees.

Take for example.... Bioshock, even though it's an obvious choice. That game is all about an underwater dystopian city called Rapture which once was a place where great people could go 'and not be restricted by petty morality'. The whole place is partially based off of the philosphy of Ayn Rand and so is based around objectivism, and while it's not portraying possibly true objectivism it is showing a reality where it was taken too far. Throughout the world you learn more about the creator Andrew Ryan, each poster, each propoganda message, helps you learn more about the man and the philosphy he holds, heck even just by walking through Rapture it feels like you're exploring the man's psyche (sort of like the house is Psycho). Even small characters that you only know about in audio logs for two minutes feel realy, and often rather heart breaking.

But yeah, I can go on about how the atmosphere builds up, how good the writing is andhow incredibly amazing Atlas's Irish accent is, but if you think video games are still pointless even if just one example like Bioshock produces such an interesting man, philosphy, world and characters that are all worth of discussion, then... I completely respect your opinion :3 And I know I sound totally air headed and pretentious right now but i'm not saying a game has to have all this, stuff like Need For Speed and Tetris are all great on their own terms with their own merits.

So! Next time on 'I Take Everthing Way Too Seriously': Why I hate it when games are called 'interactive film' xD

in Codebearers, we get to use swords of truth and use Bible verses to fight nasty shadow people! and learn some latin along the way. using a veritas sword....*fangirl scream* only thing better would be the veritas bow. the arrows are shafts of purest light!!!!

in Codebearers, we get to use swords of truth and use Bible verses to fight nasty shadow people! and learn some latin along the way. using a veritas sword....*fangirl scream* only thing better would be the veritas bow. the arrows are shafts of purest light!!!!

You quoted my post before all the edits! Confound you! :laugh:

Yeah... Each to his own there, it sounds a bit unsubtle there for my liking. But glad you enjoy it :)

THERE SHALL BE NO CRACKER EATING IN THE MIDDLE OF A SRS DISCUSSION! x3

Hi btw Josh! How does it feel knowing you don't have a vampire as your father in law anymore?