Sign in to follow this  
Radical Edward

Three Young Muslims Murdered in Chapel Hill

Checked to see if there was a thread about this and, surprisingly, there wasn't. What better way to make a comeback here than post a thread about this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/02/11/north-carolina-muslim-students-gunman-chapel-hill/23222317/

Last week, three young Muslim college students, Deah Shaddy Barakat (23), his wife, Yusor Muhammad (21), and her sister, Razan Muhammad Abu-Salha (19) were shot and killed in their home execution style by Craig Stephen Hicks (46).

While police insist it was over a parking dispute, family members of the victims and critics feel this was motivated by anti-Islamic hatred, especially considering Hicks' anti-religious fervor and the manner in which he murdered the young students. Who executes three young people in their home over a parking spot?

Overall, it's extremely sad. The victims seemed like good people, working for charities and pursuing degrees.

This has been so sad to follow. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds in terms of whether it is taken more of a "hate crime" or "parking dispute" way. Ugh. The guy sounds like a psycho.

My prayers are with the victims and their families.

Also, welcome back RE. Lovely to see you around again. ^_^

This story is dreadfully, painfully sad. I've had this horrid feeling in my tummy every time I've read about it over recent days. Such a loss of life, such a loss of potential. 

Guest JAG

What I wrote on Facebook about it:

It's hard for me to figure out what exactly I'd like to write on the topic because there are so many angles. If you look at photos of the couple you get a fairy-tale sense of romance. These are two very young people, enjoying a brand new marriage together. The woman is extremely modest yet more beautiful than most of her peers. The man did volunteer work for people in need, and looks to thoroughly enjoy his bride.

The man who killed them is insane on multiple levels. First, he's an atheist that hates religion - which like C.S. Lewis admitted in Surprised by Joy (back when he was an atheist himself) is a contradiction. Although his version was the fact he didn't believe in God, and likewise hated God for not existing.

The man who murdered them is married, so what does that mean for his wife? Did she share his hard-line beliefs too? She's probably both mourning for the loss of her husband, and likewise mortified in front of the community. Her parents probably knew he was a unrepentant man with horrible sin in his heart, told her, and she probably didn't believe them. Now what?

The couple that was murdered died without knowing Christ, but put all their hope in good works to save themselves - which just isn't enough to wipe the debt of sin away.

The murder itself can't be explained by natural rationale. You don't execute three people over a parking dispute - or even a prejudice. The benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. You know you won't even have your freedom to be able to park your car there after the execution, and you'll be cannibilizing your prejudice in the process. This man must have been possessed by the devil himself to even ponder such an atrocious act.

In the end, even if he gets the death penalty - as he deserves - it won't be swift, but will cost the community that lost three 'good apples' more money to get rid of the bad apple.

Yup, so those are my thoughts.

Then an old CTF member wrote something about the salvation of these three.  Then I replied to him:

The only opt-out clause I can find in scripture is for those who have never heard the gospel, then they will be judged based on the light of their revelation of a creator. Their conscience will be a law unto themselves.

The problem is, I don't believe anyone is able to stand up to their own conscience. This comprises the first third of Mere Christianity - that humans are peculiar. They know what is right (even in their own conscience), but they do wrong anyway. One might know lying is wrong, but will do it anyway to serve their interests. In such a case, they stand condemned - even to themselves. As in, they didn't even have to measure up to God's law, but their own law, and they broke it.

So even with this 'opt-out' clause, I don't see how anyone can stand up to the righteous requirement. To borrow language from Paul though...but thanks be to Christ our Savior who has made a way through the narrow gate by His atoning blood - the propitiation for our sins.

I think it's not our place to judge these people's hearts, but to learn from the tragedy. Our very neighbors need the gospel preached with love and sincerely - in words and action. Likewise, as Americans, we must stand up for the innocent among us and bring swift justice to the guilty (who have broken our laws). As Christians, we must be loving of people who adhere to a different religion and not develop prejudices against them - even if we loath what they preach and practice. There has to be a separation of the ideology and the idealist. We love the later.

The same goes for this militant atheist. He, by all witness testimony, was a hateful man (one glance at his Facebook wall will tell you this). He needed the love of Christ as well.

Edited by JAG

over a parking spot?
...really?
Dumb insane person is dumb and insane.
Just because you don't like someone's beliefs doesn't mean you go and kill them.

over a parking spot?

...really?

Dumb insane person is dumb and insane.

Just because you don't like someone's beliefs doesn't mean you go and kill them.

Sadly a lot of people do that. Both physically and mentally. People codemn/judge others for what they are and what they believe. Even we christians do that a lot sadly.

Sadly a lot of people do that. Both physically and mentally. People codemn/judge others for what they are and what they believe. Even we christians do that a lot sadly.

Big difference between judging, condemnation and actually killing someone.  The first two are legal, the last isn't.

But, anywho.

Murder is bad. And realllly doesn't help the tension between America and the Middle East. :\

Big difference between judging, condemnation and actually killing someone.  The first two are legal, the last isn't.

But, anywho.

Murder is bad. And realllly doesn't help the tension between America and the Middle East. :\

And it also doesn't help with religious tension too.