Diakonos

ISIS kills 21 Coptic Christians in Libya

I wish in this situation I could say that we must keep peace, but i feel as if peace has no place with ISIS, and they will not stop, but must be stopped. 

Seeing this video hurts me but then again it reminds me to be thankful for the freedom of speech (we have left) in America, ISIS needs to be stop but the part that hurts my heart is that this has been going on for a while and America has not taken action.

Is the Islamic State a bunch demons? Will they pass? Is the United States doing enough?

For demons I might say thugs, gang bangers, or egocentric sociopaths.  

Will they pass? The Islamist theology began with Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab. His life spanned the eighteenth century almost just like Benjamin Franklin. His view of Islam is the state religion of Saudi Arabia. In a rather odd twist of reality his followers hate Jews, but most have never met a Jew. He has millions of followers world wide. 

Is the United States doing enough? President Obama receives a lot of criticism for not doing enough. The Egyptians, the Jordanians and the United Arab Emirates recently began doing more. If we did it for them, maybe they would not act.

What I've found truly disturbing are the rather callous reactions I've observed in the media. I've read several news articles stating that the US has no business getting involved, or even judging ISIS for their actions, when the U.S. has committed similar atrocities in the past towards various groups. As if that somehow excuses ISIS.

I won't evenstart on how they are comparing apples to oranges in this case, but I'm just at a complete loss as to how someone can even take that stance. It would be like having a former child molester witness an act of child abuse and say "oh I know that this is very wrong, and terrible, but due to my own history, I have no right to intervene. I'm just going to sit over here and pretend this isn't happening."

Is the Islamic State a bunch demons? Will they pass? Is the United States doing enough?

For demons I might say thugs, gang bangers, or egocentric sociopaths.  

Will they pass? The Islamist theology began with Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab. His life spanned the eighteenth century almost just like Benjamin Franklin. His view of Islam is the state religion of Saudi Arabia. In a rather odd twist of reality his followers hate Jews, but most have never met a Jew. He has millions of followers world wide. 

Is the United States doing enough? President Obama receives a lot of criticism for not doing enough. The Egyptians, the Jordanians and the United Arab Emirates recently began doing more. If we did it for them, maybe they would not act.

No, I'm pretty sure they're under the control of Satan. You don't decapitate and burn people alive unless you are psychotic or under Satanic possession. 

I won't evenstart on how they are comparing apples to oranges in this case, but I'm just at a complete loss as to how someone can even take that stance. It would be like having a former child molester witness an act of child abuse and say "oh I know that this is very wrong, and terrible, but due to my own history, I have no right to intervene. I'm just going to sit over here and pretend this isn't happening."

To be honest, America's hands are waxed feeble, because we have maintained a foreign policy of showing our hand at every corner. Not to mention President Obama's way of handling this is to ignore it and hope it goes away.

No, I'm pretty sure they're under the control of Satan. You don't decapitate and burn people alive unless you are psychotic or under Satanic possession. 

I don't think so. Lots of otherwise normal people do atrocious things like this. Violent, brutal lynchings, including gore horror movie makers only dream of, were often family affairs like a county fair in the American South even less than 100 years ago. They'd go torture an innocent man, get his blood all over their clothes, and then conduct business and go to church the next Sunday.

Didn't they burn witches to the stake in early American history? Does that mean the people were under "satanic possesion"? Have you seen people ACTUALLY possessed? Theres a difference bewteen possession and oppression.

To be honest, America's hands are waxed feeble, because we have maintained a foreign policy of showing our hand at every corner. Not to mention President Obama's way of handling this is to ignore it and hope it goes away.

I don't know how Satan works. Are Satan and his demons aware that they are evil? Or are they like Darth Vader? Do they know that they have gone to the dark side?

The Jihadists of the Islamic State think that killing Christians, Jews, people who smoke, or women who show too much ankle is the will of God.  To them, nothing about it is evil. 

I think you are correct. President Obama would rather not be commander-in-chief. My dad says that the president wants to be health insurance broker-in-chief. 

Also, I think that the United States does a lot that won't be public for decades. Sometimes the details get very creative. For example, during the Cold War the United States Navy cut a Russian phone cable between Vladivostok and the Kamchatka Peninsula, so they could listen to Russian communications. I bet that most terrorists who use computers have CIA spyware on the hard drive.

Edited by Ghid

President Obama is in good company. He, along with Jefferson, Wilson, FDR, Johnson, and Carter all got the United States into a war after insisting that they would not.

It's not a war. But even if it was, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a more cartoonishly evil opponent.

That quote made my day.

It was Fourth of July. My grandfather, who believes that the grizzly bear on the Alaska quarter is Sara Palin and that the militiaman on the Massachusetts quarter is John Kerry with his M-16 on the way to Cambodia , was supervising the loading of the musket in preparation for blowing a hole in The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine. A .50 musket ball leaves about a one inch hole.

Dad, who says that Nancy Pelosi is the rear end of a horse on the back of the Nevada quarter, was supervising the ice cream churning, while I spit watermelon seeds at my boyfriend, who was turning the crank.

Dad told his mother-in-law that President Obama wants to be insurance broker in chief.

My mother's mother, who does not believe that the buffalo on the Kansas quarter is Barbara Boxer and quite definitely does not believe that the statue on the back of the New York quarter is Hillary Clinton holding her light while looking for Monica, is a lawyer who practices business law, and she told Dad that since the President commands the militia, he is the insurance broker in chief because as commander in chief he must have a healthy militia.

Dad asked me to fetch him a slice of watermelon.

:)

Where is the Islamic State?

Of course, maybe it is not a State. It's more like it is a bunch of pirates in Northern Syria, western Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Some of it is in Africa in eastern Libya, along the borders of Nigeria, Chad, Niger, and in Somalia.  

Indonesia, the largest Muslim country, does not get much attention lately, but during the 1960's ethnic violence in Indonesia killed a quarter of a million people. Ethnic violence is a term that the parents of my Muslim friends use when Sunnis kill Shia or vice versa. 

Guest Mike Spero

I agree that Isis needs to be stopped. They may be convinced that killing is justified by their religion, but no person can be so blind as to decapitate crying innocents and not know what they've done is wrong. There are many people who follow islam and few radicals in comparison. It is not that their religion has somehow blinded or exempted them from morality, they are aware of what they are doing and they must be destroyed to secure the safety of innocent lives. I don't believe they're "demon possessed" or anything of the sort; no more than the murderers, rapists, or people who commit legal evil in a suit. They're simply selfish human beings, only born in a place where they can take the position they have

We definitely aren't doing enough. I have great disrespect for both political parties, and the liberal party is known for centering solely around maintaining appearance. That being said, as a liberal, Obama is in no position to start a war without earning the scorn of his own kith and kin. Liberal mentality is ripe with naivety towards the need for action and the incapability for us to all hold hands and fix life with a smile. Peace should be favored first, but peace won't stop madmen from continually slaughtering and torturing these innocent people. A good president would have started a full-fledged war with them already, and they would have been a distant memory long ago. Political agenda and appearance should never take priority over protecting innocent lives, and it's sad we've gotten to a state where it is. I wish a minority or transgender was killed by Isis, they'd be gone by tomorrow, because everyone would suddenly care

All politics and such aside, I see no excuse for letting this continue. We can talk politics all we want as men, women, and children weep and take the knife, like the careless beings we are. I wish we'd finally do something, but I know that we won't. They've brought this on themselves and war would not be an act of hatred but a necessary provision to save the lives of many. It's a sad day for our "progressive country" when we let something like this occur. It doesn't matter if the people being killed are Christian, satanist, buddhist, atheist, whatever. People are dying, and we're doing nothing about it. That makes me sick just as much as the people who are doing the killing, themselves

Edited by Mike Spero

I agree that Isis needs to be stopped. They may be convinced that killing is justified by their religion, but no person can be so blind as to decapitate crying innocents and not know what they've done is wrong. There are many people who follow islam and few radicals in comparison. It is not that their religion has somehow blinded or exempted them from morality, they are aware of what they are doing and they must be destroyed to secure the safety of innocent lives. I don't believe they're "demon possessed" or anything of the sort; no more than the murderers, rapists, or people who commit legal evil in a suit. They're simply selfish human beings, only born in a place where they can take the position they have

We definitely aren't doing enough. I have great disrespect for both political parties, and the liberal party is known for centering solely around maintaining appearance. That being said, as a liberal, Obama is in no position to start a war without earning the scorn of his own kith and kin. Liberal mentality is ripe with naivety towards the need for action and the incapability for us to all hold hands and fix life with a smile. Peace should be favored first, but peace won't stop madmen from continually slaughtering and torturing these innocent people. A good president would have started a full-fledged war with them already, and they would have been a distant memory long ago. Political agenda and appearance should never take priority over protecting innocent lives, and it's sad we've gotten to a state where it is. I wish a minority or transgender was killed by Isis, they'd be gone by tomorrow, because everyone would suddenly care

All politics and such aside, I see no excuse for letting this continue. We can talk politics all we want as men, women, and children weep and take the knife, like the careless beings we are. I wish we'd finally do something, but I know that we won't. They've brought this on themselves and war would not be an act of hatred but a necessary provision to save the lives of many. It's a sad day for our "progressive country" when we let something like this occur. It doesn't matter if the people being killed are Christian, satanist, buddhist, atheist, whatever. People are dying, and we're doing nothing about it. That makes me sick just as much as the people who are doing the killing, themselves

First off, wow, that's a horrific thing to say and I hope you felt dirty after writing it.

Second off, Isis has murdered minorities. Or do you think they go through the Middle East, taking over towns and land with candy and puppies?

Not to mention the Jordanian pilot Lt. Moath al-Kasasbeh, who was burned alive in a cage. Not to mention the Japanese hostages that they beheaded a few weeks ago: Kenji Goto and Haruna Yukawa. And they're just off the top of my head.

It often feels as if the President in particular is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type situation for the duration of his terms. There will always be something wrong with what he's done, not to mention the absurd amount of power the average conservative seems to think he has. He can't single-handedly get rid of Isis, or even declare war by himself. He makes his decisions with the help of councils full of military generals and knowledgable civilians. He's the most public face, not the most powerful one.

Edited by Radical Edward

Second off, Isis has murdered minorities. Or do you think they go through the Middle East, taking over towns and land with candy and puppies?

Not to mention the Jordanian pilot Lt. Moath al-Kasasbeh, who was burned alive in a cage. 

Uh, in the Middle East Middle Eastern people aren't a minority. They're the majority. Obviously there are ethnic minorities in the various countries like the Yazidis, Chaldeans, and Kurds in Iraq.

Not to mention the Japanese hostages that they beheaded a few weeks ago: Kenji Goto and Haruna Yukawa. And they're just off the top of my head.

And the American hostages they've killed would be minorities to ISIS.

Edited by ComedyMusicHistory

Uh, in the Middle East Middle Eastern people aren't a minority. They're the majority. Obviously there are ethnic minorities in the various countries like the Yazidis, Chaldeans, and Kurds in Iraq.

In the Middle East, Arabs, a distinct ethnic group, comprise the ethnic majority. However, I'm pretty sure RE was referencing the Druze, Yazidi, Kurds, etc etc that ISIS has been persecuting. Forcible conversion of Syrian Druze, selling Yazidi women into slavery, the well-documented persecution of Christians, the list goes on.

I wish a minority or transgender was killed by Isis, they'd be gone by tomorrow, because everyone would suddenly care.

Thats not messed up at all.

Thats not messed up at all.

It may not have tact, but the premise of the post is true. 

No, it's not true--see Chloe and Ethan's posts. ISIS is persecuting other racial and religious minorities already; to say they aren't is just blatantly misconstruing the available information or willingly ignoring it altogether. 

It may not have tact, but the premise of the post is true. 

It doesn't have tact, it doesn't have compassion, it doesn't have decency, it doesn't have accuracy... tact is the last and least of what that post lacks. 

Edited by Radical Edward