Diakonos

ISIS kills 21 Coptic Christians in Libya

Guest Mike Spero

It may not have tact, but the premise of the post is true. 

I apologize if it came off as tactless, I believe satirical and caustic was what I was going for

I honestly don't believe anyone could be dumb enough to believe I actually meant "wow, I hope Isis kills some transgender peoples! :D". I don't want anyone getting killed, and that goes without saying.

My point was that our priorities are all screwed up, as a culture. I'm all for supporting the rights of and stopping oppression towards minorities, but if we put in a fraction of the effort and uproar we dedicate to that towards stopping the atrocities Isis are committing, the problem would already be solved. The problem is that each party only cares for having the most appeal towards the public so they can earn the next election, and with that they're afraid to act. Stopping Isis would raise a lot of scrutiny and opposition from a large portion of the people, and so action can't be warranted. I don't blame Obama for it, personally. If I did I'd also be blaming almost all of the other sock puppets with their party's hands up their backsides that came before; save a few, I'm sure.

No one should be naive enough to think that stopping Isis would be easy or come without cost or consequence or that there is literally no reason to remain inactive for now, but this is to the point where I see no possible justification large enough to warrant our inaction. Videos are being made of them butchering innocent people, they're doing it and they couldn't be more proud. And it sickens me that if we were taken by them we'd sure scream our heads off about how horrible our government and culture is for not stepping in, but from our safe and comfy homes we show absolutely no compassion or urgency as this isn't a "trending topic" for people to rush into

In the Middle East, Arabs, a distinct ethnic group, comprise the ethnic majority. However, I'm pretty sure RE was referencing the Druze, Yazidi, Kurds, etc etc that ISIS has been persecuting. Forcible conversion of Syrian Druze, selling Yazidi women into slavery, the well-documented persecution of Christians, the list goes on.

No, it's not true--see Chloe and Ethan's posts. ISIS is persecuting other racial and religious minorities already; to say they aren't is just blatantly misconstruing the available information or willingly ignoring it altogether. 

I wasn't disagreeing that ISIS has been persecuting religious minorities (for instance Yazidis who follow their traditional religion and Chaldean Christians). That fact is very well documented. And that those many of those religious minorities are a part of ethnic minorities. I was not aware that ISIS was targeting ethnic based on the fact that they are ethnic minorities. I though the ISIS was targeting different ethnic minorities (like the Yazidis and Chaldeans) was because they're non-Muslim ethnic groups. But I'm not all updated on the situation so I could be wrong. But I doubt ISIS targeted the American victims of European descent or the Japanese victims because of their ethnic background

Also Jordanians would be considered Arabs, not an ethnic minority. Right?

But my point was the way RE worded her post she made it sound like simply by virtue of killing people in the Middle East, hence the puppies and candy comment, who are ethnically Middle Eastern ISIS is killing minorities. 

I agree Isis needs to be stopped. Can I ask a question? These people were killed for their faith in Jesus what would you do if you were part of them.

I agree Isis needs to be stopped. Can I ask a question? These people were killed for their faith in Jesus what would you do if you were part of them.

I dont want to convert to islam. I rather die and be with Jesus in paradise.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/15/middleeast/isis-video-beheadings-christians/

This is evil. It must be stopped. I have no other words but that we must pray for all of those that are under the grip of these demons.

Ill see yall later, ill be in my basement preparign for them to invade. Might as well go buy a ton of shotgun munition from Cabelas or somewhere else.

Ill see yall later, ill be in my basement preparign for them to invade. Might as well go buy a ton of shotgun munition from Cabelas or somewhere else.

If your local Cabela's allows a 15-year old to purchase shotgun ammunition, I would be gravely concerned.

If your local Cabela's allows a 15-year old to purchase shotgun ammunition, I would be gravely concerned.

I can get my dad to do it for me XD

And this is why im pro-gun. Case of a invasion

Yeeeeeah, all of you who are advocating just swooping in with military action are forgetting some things...

ISIS is not a state. It's not a government. It does not represent a people. It does not have clearly defined and internationally-recognised territory. In short, ISIS is a non-state actor. The territories they operate within, however, do belong to the legitimate authorities of sovereign states. Syria, Iraq - these aren't  second-class states who don't have the right to sovereignty that we do. 

The world is not the West's playground, and if we respected that fact a little more, the problem of Islamic jihadism would likely be very different. There is protocol for a reason. You have to respect the international law that requires interaction and negotiation with states before performing military operations in their territory; this is respect for sovereignty. It's why diplomacy and the diplomatic services of Western nations are paramount. This is not liberalism (well, it's liberal institutionalism, which is a different concept entirely). 

Seems to me that the Islamic State has full Power to levy War, a power in fact if not by law. Seems like the could conclude Peace, at least long enough to get strong enough to fight again.  They might contract Alliances, maybe with Boko Haram. They have established Commerce by selling oil. They do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do like conduct pumpkin eating contests, conduct mass executions, and prohibit smoking.

As pirates go, they have quite a lot of government. They even have a state religion. 

:)