slycooper

The Umbra of Tartarus

8ad178e5081d2f29240013e3f7f669c7.jpg

Tartarus. Last known picture, 2 months ago.

"C....u..er......e....co......in"

"Cha....up....fre...there....yu...Got it. Loo..ing good on our end. Ship looking stable for once."

"Right... One sec. *ahem* Hello, good evening and a-hoy-hoy. Welcome abroad the not-so new and oh so not improved good ship Erebus. I'll be your host for the evening, Comm lead Mike Saxon, at your service on behalf of your eternally greatful employer, Lanos-Exec. Where we stem the tide of time! Ugh"

"And before I forget, exits are to your left, about 3 star systems, and 5 life choices a go."

"...Apologies for the dramatics, comm lead of the most barren, pointless speck in vast array of nothing-ness... You take what fun you can. Been thinking of that intro since we lost contact with the last bunch down there. Sad, eh? Boss keeps mithering me to inject some positivity into these briefings, so I hope you all consider yourselves brimming with enthusiasm for ensuing mind numb. Lords knows I am. Not often you see people desperate enough to take on a job in No Man's Space."

"Sigh.... Let's get this over with then. You'll forgive us for sticking you all together in a dinky row boat of a vessel. No one is allowed to travel past the DS-4K0 sector normally but the boss greased a few palms and you got special 'permission'. But still, to survive the extreme temperatures and the sheer of clutter debris out there, we're having to go small. Proper human garbage zone you're heading into and the moon you're landing on aint much better. The last group, before they went dark, reported some activity in the target area but the planet's gone completely dead so we can't get any pictures from far away. When communications first ceased we sent out a ship to see what the problem was and from what we can make out, the base open fired and crashed the freighter."

"But i'm getting a head of myself again. Oh well, needs be i'll revise this speech for the next lot that get sent down. You're heading to a scientific colony called Tartarus. Boss always did like drama. So called as the moon has pretty much no light source, so thick is the debris down there and so far away any other entity barring the planet is circulates, you're lucky to see in front of your own nose. Lanos got special funding though, as bad as it was, this lil moon, if treated right could be the starting point for all expansion. It's got vital energy sources coming out of every dustbowl. Just think, one stop point for all future expansion that could sustain itself".

"Started off small enough. Few temporary buildings but supplying it with constant resources became too cost inefficent so, in the usual big corp way, they went ahead and trucked a giant space station above it. It's impressive don't get me wrong but man, over-compensate why don't ya? Still guess that's why i'm talking to you guys and not living in one. It's nifty though, sends off a light source which replicates the sun's effects on plants. From what I hear, the base grew inhumanly quick. But now.... Dark again. Station is giving off no signs of life or light. Fair to say all  the pretty coconut trees they were growing there are dead as a door nail. There's still some lights on ground level that have been left on, but even that seems to be on it's way out. Chances are the scientists got sick of this hell hole finally and couldn't wait long enough to think of the electric bills."

"So it's simple no? Go down, see what happened and if needs be, fix it. No need to play hero, place has been dark now for a month. Few people even know this place exists so it's hardly worth stressing yourself over. When you get down into the base's hanger i'll hit you up again with specific instructions. And if you're afraid of the dark, well.... Think happy thoughts. Over and out".

-----------------------------------

Right. Sorry that was so long, buuuut we're gonna get worse so grab a coffee and hunker down ladies and gentle beans. As you can probably tell this will be a horror/Sci-fi RP which will be a bit more advanced than we normally get, so first and foremost, please only join if you feel up to it! Rules are (fairly) strict and while I want to keep it as accessible as possible, it will be quite focused. This RP is going to be all about your group of mercanaries exploring this colony and finding out what has happened. I've already got the backstory worked out, so this will primarily be a mystery/survival horror. There will be some threat but not action packed. Think more Alien than Aliens  :P Your primary focus will be exploration with puzzles, world building, overcoming more natural problems together (poisoned atmosphere, where do we go now), the *occasional* monster/oh heck no moment, creating character relations and politics and most importantly, figuring out what has happened here. Whether you stop it or just leave is up to you.

Fun feature time!

• I will need some dedication from players, not really in terms of posting fast but just not over powering themselves, being too Mary Sue or randomly leaving without giving me notice as we need to work out an exit for your characters if you do. Remember, in space no one can hear you angst.

• Before entering locations I will post what it is you've walked in on, what it's like, and what can be interacted with. Certain details about the environment may just get PMed to certain people (more on this later). This way it doesn't spiral out of control and it can keep on pace and we can get some fun world building going. To do this I will need people to either PM their intentions 'my character is going to check that door, what's there' and i'll PM you what you can put or just stop before the action so it's clear I need to write up a setting piece.

• There will be stats in this, i'll have different areas you can allocate X amount of points too which will influence what it is you are able to do in the world and what it is I message you. For example if you come across a computer which still has power, if you are low on that skill i'll just say 'there's a computer in the corner but it's password protected'. If you have a high skill you'll get more detail/options like 'Looks like the maintenance's computer. It's an out of date model, should be possible to upload a virus into it and log in..' 

•  I will also PM people to mess with them just occasionally. While you can be morally good, I can't have people being perfect. These messages will be in the form of different things, such as voices only they are getting on the radio telling them to do X or not trust Y, things they have seen in the background which they can choose to tell others or not etc. You get the idea, I won't spoil it too much but please dont ignore them! 

• I also want to utilise the group PM feature as paranoia is fun. This is a dangerous place with some hopefully unsavoury characters and you'll need to build up partnerships, keep me CCed in them so I know what's happening but this way you can discuss ideas in character (what's going on, thoughts on others, evil plotting mwahaha). So for example, if you and another person are off exploring this room, this will be a time when they can speak in private. You'll have to be careful though, do this when you aren't alone (i.e. someone was in ear shot) and I may just leak parts of what you said :3 Be smart about it and know people may be planning to back stab! 

• Oh, and characters can die. I'm not going to be harsh about it, but for this to have any tension or to breed tension amongst characters, death needs to be more than something you just decide. I'll refrain from being cheap about it but if you are alone in the dark, no radio contact, weapons and you've got your back to an open space. Something is probably gonna come after you  ;)

I think that's all... Some questions will be answered when we start up. To begin with you're in the ship heading down so we'll have a round or two of ya'll getting to know each other.
Edited by slycooper

So character profile time! Please PM me your profiles before posting just so I can double check them x Sorry that it's a hassle but this way I can try and keep cybernetics/equipment balanced. For all questions just PM me or post in the OT thread (we'll just use the interest check one). No more than 2 characters per person and please keep them human. I'll allow someone to have an android (ala Alien Isolation kind) but that's sorta it. If you do have one this will take up your Cybernetic and 1 support equip.

[Pic, try to avoid anime if you can]

Name:
Age: (No children or young teens please! Keep it realistic)
Personality: ('Good' characters are fine, just don't over do it and make their only weakness 'caring too much' <3)
History: (Be creative here! Why is he or she a mercenary and what is their driving factor for taking this job, poor? Family to feed? Work for a rival company? Been offered cybernetics for the job? Need to escape to out of charted space? All that sort)

Equipment: (Nothing overpowered, state their strengths and limitations. 1-2 weapons, 2-3 support such as a radio (v. important!), torch, first aid kit, atmospheric scanners.)

Cybernetics: (Max 1 if 'strong', 2 if weaker. Ala a drone (think Mass Effect ones) would be a strong one whereas oxygen reserves would be a weaker one. Again be creative, cybernetics cost a lot of money in this world and only few people can purchase good ones, hence limits)

---

Skills: You have a max of 35 points to spend in these categories. Think of a role for your character or be a jack of all trades (If people find this is not enough, say in the OT thread and i'll see about upping it)

Medical Knowledge /10 (diagnose and healing)
Computers /10 (Hacking) 
Scientific Knowledge /10 (Will be given more info in certain situations to solve puzzles/backstory)
Combat /10 (Mostly against NPCs but may come into play between ya'll)
Repairs /10 (Electronic and manual)

Strength /5 (obvs)
Intuition and Perception /5 (Will get more hints as to options available and get more info on what's in the environment)
Charm /3 (Only effect NPCs)
Endurance /5 (How likely you are of getting hurt)

Pics:

fbfbe8b2-db51-428a-851c-7886c6ff803a.jpg

ead0cade-42a4-4c1b-9b4d-726cf4d33db9.jpg

Name: Dane Kelley

Personality: Dane is - according to his few friends – pretty conceited and too miserly about his cash. He doesn’t have much motivation to do anything unless it earns him something and he thoroughly enjoys pushing some people’s buttons, which doesn’t make him very many friends.

History: Dane grew up in a general middle-class family. His father was a technician and his mother was a stay at home mom. When he turned eight, his father was killed in a work related accident. His mother soon took to drinking and daily life slowly went downhill as she forgot to pay off debts and bills and put her money into drink and her sons on the back burner. Spending most of his time on the streets taught Dane some useful tricks and how to fight dirty, but got him in trouble with the law as well. Not especially clever, and not especially given to listening to authority figures, Dane was that ‘surly, troublemaker’ in middle school and that all-out ‘delinquent’ in high school.  Despite the threat of expatriation from his home planet, he became a mercenary when he turned 20 years old. It turned out to be a suitable match for a lazy, money-obsessed troublemaker. He occasionally sends money to his little brother, Chad, who, despite being desperately sickly as a child, grew up to join some academy for sciencey crap.

Equipment: Machete (because HECK YEAH.) Old fashioned and flashy, but has saved his life a couple of times on different planets. Something like a TDI KRISS Super V XSMG, sub machine gun, which is powerful and pretty accurate, but has an unfortunate reload time. Grappling belt and other climbing gear. Radio. Handheld game (for when he gets bored). Small flashlight.

Cybernetics: n/a You need to pay money for that crap!

---

Skills:

Medical Knowledge 3/10 (diagnose and healing)
Computers 3/10 (Hacking) 
Scientific Knowledge 3/10 (Will be given more info in certain situations to solve puzzles/backstory)
Combat 8/10 (Mostly against NPCs but may come into play between ya'll)
Repairs 5/10 (Electronic and manual)
Strength 4/5 (obvs)
Intuition and Perception 3/5 (Will get more hints as to options available and get more info on what's in the environment)
Charm 0/3 (Only effect NPCs)
Endurance 5/5 (How likely you are of getting hurt)

189174.jpg

Name: Dr. Ruby-Jane “R.J.” Summers

Personality: R.J. has a “tough guy” attitude and a sarcastic sense of humor. She has no problem telling things like she sees them and isn’t one to mince words when the stakes are high. R.J. isn’t actually shy or introverted, but she tends to stick to a few people she trusts. Contrary to popular belief, R.J. does have a soft-side but it’s buried very very VERY deep. It takes a lot to win her trust or affection, but the motherly instinct is there even if she’d be loath to show it.  Despite her snide since of humor, R.J. is very no-nonsense. Smiles are rare and joking around is not tolerated.

History: R.J. was born to a single mother in rural Kansas and for the first 18 years of her life grew up dirt poor and with very little life prospects past working in the diner her friend Ben’s father owned. R.J. never knew her father, lived on food stamps and had an ineffable affinity to trouble but she did have one advantage. R.J. was smart.

Although mildly dyslexic, R.J. blossomed in school excelling especially in math and science. Encouraged by a pair of dedicated teachers and a devoted friend (a young Benjamin Walker) R.J. made school into her sanctuary. A safe-haven from the chaos that was her home-life with her mother and older sister. R.J. partied a bit, hung out with the wrong crowd and just generally was a wild spirit but she got good grades. Consistently beating out her classmates and graduating valedictorian while taking online classes at the local community college.

Sometime before graduation, R.J. was approached by a representative from Lanos-X who had seen her SAT scores as well as some of her math and science achievements from her hometown. This man offered her a full ride scholarship if she would sign a contract with Lanos. Not having any other options financially besides attending the local community college, R.J. eagerly accepted the offer, left for college and never looked back.

R.J. entered school thinking of a research/medical focus. Her education was primarily focused on chemistry, neurobiology and virology with her Doctorate being focused on neurovirology. Throughout her time in school, R.J. was working for Lanos (albeit in different capacities) and effectively being groomed for their program. R.J. has been aware of Tartatrus for a long time but as much of the project was shrouded in secrecy she only has information on that which she was directly involved in.

Sometime during her post-graduate training, R.J. became involved with the son of a senior executive at Lanos X. Damian Rexford, a man ten years her senior, was also heavily involved in Lanos’s laboratories and effectively worked above her during this time. The two developed an ill fated and passionate romance that slowly became nightmarish. By the time she was twenty-five, R.J. feared for her life and was making plans to break-contract and break-free. Ridding herself of Lanos and Damian simultaneously. The need for this escape was heightened by the fact that R.J. was pregnant with Damian’s son.

Her old friend Ben, who had found work as a hired-gun and pilot for Lanos helped her with her escape. The two ran away together to Alaska. R.J. was sure she’d never be able to look at her son and feared being a mother but when the boy was born, a handsome young thing with dark brown hair and distinctive dichromatic eyes, she fell in love instantly.  R.J., Ben and young Max, lived together in Alaska for three years until Damian found them, furious and seeking revenge. After six months of running, Ben and Max escaped and R.J. negotiated 10 years under Lanos for their safety. Although Ben occasionally managed to meet her or send photographs, R.J. has not seen her son since he was three years old.

And that was twenty years ago.

After her contract was up, R.J. attempted to work independently although she feared contacting Ben or her son. After a few years working for another lab, R.J. once again found herself under the thumb of Damian Rexford. She has been working for the company for two years now, but is trusted with precious little information.

R.J. is suspicious of cybernetics but was forced into getting a cybernetic eye that feeds into her brain and allows her to “zoom in” and measure items upon looking at them. In addition this device can store visual information, effectively giving her a photographic memory.

Up until a few months ago, R.J. was certain that Damian did not know the whereabouts of Ben or Max. However, recently Damian pulled her into his office to show her a video. A young pilot with dichromatic eyes, one blue, one green. R.J. is on this mission in an attempt to spare Max’s life, though if you ask her she’ll say it’s about having enough money to leave Lanos for good.

Equipment: Med Sized Gun, knife, radio, first aide kit, kit for collecting biological samples, a picture of Max, a set of old dog tags, and a flashlight.

Cybernetics: R.J. is fitted with a cybernetic eye which’s main function is to allow her to “zoom in” on small items (microscope, not telescope). This device can also collect amounts of visual information which R.J. is worried could be “tapped” by Damian or other members of Lanos-X.

Skills: 

Medical Knowledge 8 /10 

Computers 2/10 

Scientific Knowledge 8/10 

Combat 5/10 

Repairs 5/10 

Strength 2/5 

Intuition and Perception 2/5

Charm 1/3

Endurance 2/5 

question: is this the thing you were kind of recruiting me for Abby?

I just awkwardly remembered I never gave you my finished bio... oops... XD

question: is this the thing you were kind of recruiting me for Abby?

I just awkwardly remembered I never gave you my finished bio... oops... XD

No that was the Doctor Who one, this one got quite a bit of interest though so we're focusing on this one for the foreseeable future. You're welcome to join though x

2hdwufd.jpg

Name: Khalida Hajjar
Personality: Due to her accident Khalida is a very quiet individual, only speaking through her tablet when necessary. As she often shows little emotion on her face people often mistake her for one of the new and emerging models of androids which closely replicate human emotions and reactions, however a defunct model which didn’t get disposed of correctly. Not that she minds, it stops people from asking too many questions and people are more likely to speak freely to a seeming robot.

On the inside she’s less cold and emotionless and she would like to appear. Her mask let’s her hide her deeper fears. She can become jumpy around loud noises and agitated in the dark. While she used to be a much warmer person her time as a Repairman for Lanos has made her keep those feelings of loneliness and desire to return to a normal life to herself. To some degree she’s not sure where her old self ends and her put on persona begins. She knows she wants, no, needs this bounty but to what extent she is willing to sacrifice what’s left of her old self she’s supposedly working to be again, she figures she’ll decide when she gets there.

History: Khalida grew up in a fairly well to do family in the second sector, on a planet called Xios. Xios was the largest planet in the second quadrant, the first area of space outside of Earth’s solar system that was colonised. It was soon at the forefront of technological advances and prime locations for a lot of the most powerful companies in the galaxy.

Here Khalida had normal background, normal family life, heck even a normal job as she carried on her father’s electronics repair company with her fiancé after he passed away. Things only changed when one day while preparing to leave work, all the lights went off. Not just in the shop but the street, and every building within a 300 yard radius. Last day she thought, last day before she took a vacation. Typical. And that’s when the guns went off.

Xios, while the most profitable of the non-Earth planets, had the biggest pay gap in the human colonies. Either you were an executive who owned their own space travel and was implanted with enough cybernetics to add another 50 years to your life or you were the people who made them, and made their high towers that they sat on. It didn’t take long before animosity built up between non-cybernetics who saw the others as selling out their humanity with the power of their fortunes, and those with cybernetics who saw what they were doing as merely the natural progression of humanity and the realisation of better lives.

But in that moment, as bullets ripped through the windows, all of that seemed so petty. Working in such a prosperous area of the capital always made her anxious but she never really believed the simmering animosity would boil over like this. The group responsible, she would eventually learn, were yet another anti-cybernetic group which turned desperate.

She hid under the counter until the noise started to die down. She thought for a while they had left her building unscathed until the real loud noises started. As a rocket launcher whizzed through the first floor and the ceiling collapsed around her she could only stay still as she heard her fiance’s faint sobbing from the garage. Too terrified to move or call out she just stayed hidden until eventually she passed out.

She lost everything, naturally. Her beautiful fiancé Mia, her family’s store and her whole sense of safety in her surroundings. She was thankfully to be alive, it was a fairly quick hit and run job by a few convoys though so it still felt like the worst and unluckiest of fates. When she woke up she was in hospital. She felt surprisingly fine but as she moved to open her mouth she realised the damage that had been done. It was only the simplest of cybernetics keeping her together, nothing fancy, not even anything to replace her lost voice. Just enough to keep her alive. But hey, it was free right? It was kind of the govnerment to help someone like her. The doctor said. She never knew what he meant by that. Still. Shouldn’t complain, heck, can’t complain anymore.

So she went home and all but locked herself away. It took a while for her to venture outside again and she all but avoided the main city but eventually it became too much, all the constant reminders in the news and more incidents occurred. So she left a note to her mother and just left. No more of this hellhole, no more attachments and responsibilities for her to fail at, just a quick ship to another planet, any planet, and the army was the quickest means out. She failed the psych test but unperturbed she stowed away on board. When she was discovered the private saw her mechanical shell under the skin and presumed she was a new shipment of androids. They called them the ‘Jeeves’ models, they looked human, even showed up as one on un-modded scanners but were basically doing all the tasks the crew didn’t want to. While at first she was nearly reported as faulty, she managed to show off her repair skills and stay on board, even getting the recognition of the management on the ship who eventually sold her off to Lanos-Exec for a tidy sum.

They knew, of course, they weren’t stupid but they kept her secret safe. She was a good worker at the end of the day, able to think more outside of the box than just an android, and she liked it even if the company of droids became tiresome. It took her mind off everything and she got to go on missions with mercenary, scavenger and research crew as maintenance and escort. All in all, they were a good employer, upfront, rewarding work and above all, loyal.

Apparently this was just supposed to be just another one of those. Last one they said, last one and as a thank you for her loyalty over the last 2 years they would fix her up. Make her look human again and give her the finances to move wherever she wanted to go and work from there. Just one more day. Ha, she had told herself that one before.

Equipment: Her main weapon is a taser (7 feet at most) and a few of her tools can be repurposed as melee weapons if required. She carries around a toolkit in her back-pack, which has the basics of what she needs as well as a small torch.

Cybernetics: Certain bones have been replaced with a synthetic skeleton, however these are just the basic metal variety which fuse to pre-existing bone. She is still, however, fairly physically weak due to such a cheap surgery even she has a degree of skill to compensate for some that. It is a strong material though and allows her to be less fragile than she first appears. Her main tool is a keypad on her wrist which will speak for her, however input can take a few seconds so she only does it when she feels its necessary. It has certain holographic capabilities but these are again limited and basic and information must be uploaded, such as maps and a diary she likes to keep to write in when she gets the time, containing all important details to the mission.

---

Skills:

Medical Knowledge 1/10 (diagnose and healing)
Computers 4/10 (Hacking)
Scientific Knowledge 4/10 (Will be given more info in certain situations to solve puzzles/backstory)
Combat 7/10 (Mostly against NPCs but may come into play between ya'll)
Repairs 9/10 (Electronic and manual)
Strength 2/5 (obvs)
Intuition and Perception 3/5 (Will get more hints as to options available and get more info on what's in the environment)
Charm 1/3 (Only effect NPCs)
Endurance 4/5 (How likely you are of getting hurt)

OT: Sorry this bio is so rushed! May not make the most sense. Also I know a few profiles are on their way so we'll be aiming to start half way through next week with a bit of luck. You're still welcome to join up after, we'll just need to find your character an entry point and role.

Edited by slycooper

Anuj_Sachdevajpg_5_ohnkn.jpg

Here is his outfit. The jacket has a layer of thick leather woven in it.

Name: Ajay “A.J.” Mehra

Personality: Driven, determined, and a bit of jack-butt, Ajay won't take no for an answer. His friends describe him as fun to be around, but considering that he only has two friends (one of which is a cat) their word might not be the best to describe Ajay. He is wholeheartedly devoted to Polaris and is one of their top operatives and dislikes people who disagree with him, though he is smart enough to pretend to not care.

History: The only son of Rahim Mehra, Ajay grew up in a powerful and influential family. His father the Vice-president of Polaris, his Mother a famous artist, his uncle a politician and sisters who take partying and fashion very seriously, Ajay grew up with high expectations and as a result sees most people as lesser than him. Unlike his family who stayed in the limelight and enjoyed every so conditions of it, Ajay was more interested in his father's business.

Polaris is a powerful organization that has branches dedicated to everything. While computer manufacturing is where the company started, it now has subsidiaries that produce weapons, clothes, highest grade tech, droids, medical equipment, vehicles, pesticides, cleaners, and even cooking equipment. From a young age, Ajay was interested in computers. Top of his class in robotics, and computer sciences, He was accepted into Polaris's computer development division. Because of his father's high position in the company, A.J. moved up the ladder faster than most. By the time he was 25, he had become director of the electronic weapons division. He never once questioned Polaris's less than savory morals and accepted them as his own.

When Ajay was 28 he was contacted by the CEO personally. The boss man had an assignment for him. A politician named Cassidy Danvers was holding a party. Danvers was known for her dirty tactics and caught up in multiple scandals. But due to her team of PR's, she was effectively untouchable. Or so she thought. Ajay secured an invitation to the party and through some sneaking, hacking, and quick thinking, Ajay was able to completely shut down her security system and had the power to release every email she had ever sent or received to the public. She was destroyed. However, through Polaris, she was saved. Danvers was effectively put into the service of Polaris and is now blackmailed into being just another Polaris puppet.

After hacking into numerous other companies and garnering the secrets of some of the most wealthy people in the galaxy, A.J. received his next assignment. The Lanos colony, Tartarus had gone dark. Seeing that Lanos is a company that Polaris hasn't brought down yet, the CEO decided to send in A.J. to see what he could learn about the company while everything was down. His cover for this mission is just a common street rat that signed on as a tech specialist.

Equipment: A small bluetooth-type device that functions not only as a radio but a video camera/recorder (Complete with flashlight). He carries a small pistol in his pocket. The pistol is pretty loud and kicks like a mule, but is Ajay’s only real form of physical protection.

Cybernetics: None.

---

Skills: You have a max of 35 points to spend in these categories. Think of a role for your character or be a jack of all trades (If people find this is not enough, say in the OT thread and i'll see about upping it)

Medical Knowledge 3/10

Computers 10/10

Scientific Knowledge 5/10

Combat 3/10

Repairs 5/10

Strength 1/5

Intuition and Perception 4/5

Charm 2/3

Endurance 2/5

EDIT: I buffed up his computer knowledge a bit. He still fits the 35 limit though, so don't worry.

doom.jpg

Name: Tiberius Barbosa/Dimitry Loras
Personality:

Tiberius: taciturn and hard, but someone who's good enough at observing people can get the impression that he hides burning hate and bottomless pain deep inside.  He doesn't let himself get close to anyone, and never talks about his past.  Despises SpartaCorp and all of the big corporations.  Has a soft spot for children, especially little girls that remind him of his daughter.  Justifiable paranoia, as not much in his life is as it seems.

Dimitry: Loyal to SpartaCorp and devoted to his work.  Friendly, cooperative, and unquestioningly obedient to his supervisors.  An unspoken dread of going insane.

Both: Fearless, resourceful, and determined.  Can be overconfident and reckless at times, especially if he has the prospect of achieving outsized gain for the mission and/or saving lives at a risk to his own.  He prefers to lead from the front, where the troops can see him.

History:

Tiberius was born in the favela of Old New York, where he helped his family eke out a living from salvaging scrap, picking up bits of education when he could via his parents' obsolete and unreliable tablet computer.  The favela was a violent place, so he learned to fight at a young age.  He assembled a gang of other young toughs and staked out a "territory" among the semi-flooded, crumbling skyscrapers of what had once been Manhattan.  For awhile, he and his family began to experience a modicum of prosperity.

Then, he was arrested for assault and battery and theft (the corporations in New New York still claimed ownership of their former headquarters in the Old City, even if they didn't want to bother with salvage operations).  His talents at combat and leadership had not gone unnoticed, however.  He was given a choice: he, his gang, and his family (accomplices) could all go to a SpartaCorp prison/workhouse and maybe get out someday...or he could work for SpartaCorp as a mercenary.  Tiberius chose the latter.

He took to his military training, did as he was told, and worked his way up the ranks.  When he reached the rank of Captain, he was given command of a mercenary ship.  Though he was by all appearances a Good Soldier, he nursed a secret hatred of the company, and the governments that gave corporations such complete power.   

A mission to quell an insurgency in a distant colony was the straw that broke the camel's back.  The colony, HPSC-3374 was a vast underground complex on an airless world.  For decades, "expendable" people had been sent there to mine the dwarf planet for hydrocarbons and rare earth metals, living lives of perpetual debt servitude.  Then, one of the mine tunnels encountered something.  What, exactly, was immediately made secret.  Exceptionally rare and valuable resources?  Alien artifacts?  An artificial core to the world itself?  Whatever it was, the colonists had become a liability, and needed to be removed so that Harmony Planetary Settlement Corporation, the company that owned the colony, could exploit the discovery.  HPSC had a simple solution that had worked since ancient times: engineer a famine.  A subtle sabotage of the hydroponic systems could create the impression of gradual, inexplicable failure.  The colonists, starved of food and air, would die never knowing that their doom was intentional.

The person tasked with carrying this out, a hotshot techie mercenary named Lillian Gordon, refused.  Instead, she hacked into company supply drones, bringing them to the colony to provide supplies, and be remade into warships and transports for the rebellion she started.  When Lillian and the rebels continued to run circles around HPSC's security forces, the company turned to the Sparta Corporation, a leader in private military contracting services, the prison industry, security systems, and indentured workforce management. 

Tiberius and his team were to insert, infiltrate into the colony complex, locate and take out the rebel leader, then take control of the life-support systems to bring the insurgency to heel.  Good Soldier that he was, Tiberius led his team in, and was on the verge of breaking the back of the insurgency when he learned of HPSC's extermination plan, and the conditions the colonists had been forced to live under all their lives.

Tiberius and his men joined the insurgency, making up for Lillian and the rebels' deficits in military skills.  At the head of the rebel fleet (such as it was), he started moving colonists to other worlds and spreading rebellion.  SpartaCorp responded with overwhelming force, but Tiberius tied them up with guerrilla tactics, bleeding their resources and hitting them where it hurt: their pocketbook.  Fighting side by side, he and Lillian fell in love and had a baby girl.  In an effort to improve the combat abilities of the rebellion's soldiers, Lillian developed an inexpensive but capable HUD implant, and sought volunteers to test it under battle conditions.  To her surprise and chagrin, Tiberius was at the front of the line.  He wouldn't allow others to take a risk he wouldn't take alongside them, and he had complete trust in Lillian's skills.

Though there were some bugs to work out, the implants eventually proved a success.  Unfortunately, there was no time to deploy them on a larger scale.  Other mercenary companies, and even government forces joined HPSC's side, relentlessly overwhelming the rebel forces.  As a last desperate measure, Lillian tried to break into the Secured Section in the mines of HPSC-3374.  It was protected by the very best automated security systems and combat 'bots HPSC could buy, and with the war a more pressing concern, she hadn't had the opportunity to dedicate time to breaking through.  Now, with Tiberius desperately trying to hold off superior invading forces, Lillian and her techs put everything they had into breaking through, in hopes that the Secured Section would contain something that could turn the tide.

Tiberius was running out of ships and men when--success!  Lillian and her team took control of the Secured Section.  There is a gap in Tiberius' memory at this point.  The next thing he remembers is barely escaping in his battered flagship, somehow certain that Lillian, their daughter, and the entire population of HPSC-3374 had died in some horrible way...but not remembering how.  Sometimes he wakes with a scream on his lips.  He's convinced that these are nightmares based on the telemetry and comms he'd received from Lillian and the colonists in their last moments, but he can never remember the dreams themselves.

With nothing left but a burning desire for revenge, Tiberius turned to piracy, spreading terror throughout the outer sectors.  He dimly hoped to gather enough loot to re-start the insurgency, defeat the corporations, and find out what really happened on HPSC-3374, but his true motive was to prey on HPSC, SpartaCorp, and the other companies the way they'd preyed on him and everything he ever loved.  Though "Captain Barbosa," his crew and their ship the Apophis became notorious--hated and feared in some sectors, folk heroes in others--Tiberius was eventually captured.  He was tried and sentenced to death by lethal injection. 

Dimitry Loras woke up in a barracks, where he worked as a drill sergeant for SpartaCorp's military contract (mercenary) division.  He had always been a loyal, even devoted company man.  His family was killed in a tragic transport accident when he was a teenager in training.  SpartaCorp was there for him, and they became his family.  Though he did well as a drill sergeant, some part of Dimitry longed to go out into the Black, where the action was. 

Then he started having strange dreams, of combats he had never been in, of a woman he never met, yet somehow loved.  Pieces of his life started not fitting together.  His supervisors offered him assurances, and medications that seemed to make things better for awhile, but his condition continued to worsen, until he began to fear that he was going insane.  He started to feel paranoia and distrust, secretly investigating things on his own.  His insanity grew more pronounced, until his supervisors reluctantly concluded that he would have to be committed to an asylum.  Dimitry overheard them talking and made his escape before they could take him in.  While they were trying to chase down the drone transport he'd hijacked and sent off, he broke into the camp commandant's office so he could hack into his computer and find out the truth.

The result was a bizarre conspiracy theory: that he had once had another life as a mercenary, revolutionary, and pirate; that instead of being executed, he was placed in an experimental program that was looking for ways to remake people into compliant Company employees.  He emailed copies of the data to his family and several friends, with instructions to take it to the media if anything happened to him.

In a climactic confrontation with his supervisors, he found out that SpartaCorp had a trump card: they'd implanted a Loyalty Assurance Implant inside his skull, and could use it to torture or kill him at will.  After tense negotiations, an agreement was reached: he would go on one final mission for SpartaCorp, one that involved another outpost facing the same threat that had destroyed HPSC-3374; a chance to find out what really happened to his wife and little girl.  In return, SpartaCorp would not harm his family or friends, and upon successful completion of the mission, would allow him to choose a surgeon and have the Loyalty Assurance Implant removed.

And so, Tiberius prepares for his final mission for SpartaCorp.  Yet...he has nagging doubts.  Had he really been lucky enough to overhear the Commandant and the base psychiatrist discussing their plans to commit him?  How had he been able to break into such an important, top secret file system on the Commandant's computer?  Tiberius knew he wasn't that good of a hacker.  Sure, it hadn't been easy...but shouldn't it have been impossible?

Then there is the fact that, every now and then, Dimitry feels better for awhile, free from the delusions that torment him.

Equipment:

Bullington-Ferenzy 1337 double-barreled Gauss rifle (a.k.a BFG-1337, pictured above).  One barrel fires hypersonic .50 cal. guided bullets by magnetic induction (conventional bullets do not work with this rifle), and can hold 130 rounds.  The second barrel fires gygrojet grenades.  The gun can hold 10, and select between explosive, gas, and flashbang, depending on the loadout he's provided.  K-Bar tanto combat knife with anodized black blade.  The handle contains a survival kit including matches, needle and thread, wire saw, compass, folded graphene "space blanket," lanyard, and signal mirror.  Standard SpartaCorp tactical commlink system.  Carbon nanofiber ballistic body armor (pictured above); bulletproof against conventional rounds, but restricts his movement somewhat, and can be too hot to wear in hot, sunny climates.  Flashlight, signal beacon.

Cybernetics:

HUD Implant: provides him with a targeting reticule in his vision that shows where he is aiming his weapon at all times, making it possible for him to shoot in close-quarters combat without looking through the gunsights.  It also increases his accuracy when using a scope for long-range shots, and boosts his motor skill so that his arms match the aiming point of the reticule exactly.  It includes a "mapping" app that "remembers" where he's been, and allows him to post "waypoints" in the map and be guided back to the waypoint of his choosing at will.  It also interfaces with the electronics of compatible firearms and keeps track of his ammo and the repair status of the weapon (if it has an internal diagnostic system).  It will also keep track of other mercs he's working with, provided they have tracking implants or chips (e.g., in their clothing or radios), and has an IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) system that can distinguish between friendly and unknown or hostile forces, provided the friendlies are connected to the system.  [OT: This is a non-Lanos, non-SpartaCorp implant, so at GM's discretion, the tracking and IFF systems may not be compatible with Lanos equipment]. 

Loyalty Assurance Implant: a device implanted in his skull that can be used to incapacitate him by stimulating his brain's pain center, or kill him with a micro-explosive.  This device can respond to audio orders by senior SpartaCorp executives or anyone they grant access to.  This is done via a remote that is programmed to accept voiceprints and biometric signatures for people given access and add them to the list.  The remote automatically triggers the implant if he gets within five feet of it, increasing the level of pain as he gets closer.  The remote is keyed with his biometric data, and will kill him if he touches it.

---

Skills:
Medical Knowledge 3/10 (basic field first-aid; 5/10 for combat injuries, 1/10 for diseases, etc.)
Computers 3/10
Scientific Knowledge 0/10
Combat 10/10
Repairs 4/10

Strength 5/5
Intuition and Perception 4/5
Charm 1/3
Endurance 5/5

OT: I hope he's not overpowered vis a vis weapons and equipment, but he is the Tank. :)

Edited by Logos

No that was the Doctor Who one, this one got quite a bit of interest though so we're focusing on this one for the foreseeable future. You're welcome to join though x

Does this mean the DW game has been abandoned? :(

Does this mean the DW game has been abandoned? :(

For the foreseeable future v.v it just hasn't got the interest this one has and I don't have the time to manage both, nor do I imagine people have enough time to play two right now.

I couldn't be bothered to read Abi's character because the font is too small, and I know Chris (Yves) is supposed to be joining, but I want in..... May not be able to start with everyone, but I'll start the wheels in my head turning. 

Sorry! Will fix when I'm on the computer, it does that when I paste it from a word doc and then edit it on my phone *shrug*

Hey-up so Ash mentioned a good idea about writing a little blurb on Lanos so it's easier to understand what they do as I know i've been a little too vague. So here we go.

Lanos-Exec is one of the forerunners in scientific advancement and funding. It dabbles in a few areas, to the public the most widely known production is of cybernetics, mostly of the cheaper end as they try to make them more accessible to a greater number of people. It also owns a few colonies, some for mining, some for scientific study and some colonies, mostly on the outer rims of human occupied space. It also puts funding into other ventures although mostly in a non-profit capacity. It's primary focus is on the betterment on mankind through science and while it has been linked to some shady dealings and morally questionable research, it is always for this end. It is not entirely uncommon for them to hire mercanaries, although this is mostly for protecting trade ships, bases, scouting planets or just the most occassional corporate espionage. As for if there's anything darker in their sights, well then, that's for you to decide.

Anymore questions then again, PM me or post in the Interest Check thread which will serve as the OT. Just to keep this thread clean. If you think this goes against your bio then please make some changes or message me and we'll fit it in as close as we can. Thanks guys! And sorry I didn't post this sooner.

OT: So we are up and running! Chris will join us once he's able to cement his idea for a character but we'll just be having a round or two of posting until the ship reaches the base. People are still welcome to join the main group in this period and then after that can join as non-mercanary characters.

Oh and apologies for how exposition heavy this post is *cough* it's not my best.

Khalida

She flipped the comms link off. He'd already done enough to scare the new guys, his usual next step is to play horror music over the comms and if this mission was going to take as long as she theorized it would, she'd really not have to babysit a group of twitchy 'guys with their guns'. So peace and quiet it was. Just that familiar, relaxing hum of the engines propelling them further into the darkness.

She raised her hand perpendicular to the ship's front window. A series of holographic panels appeared to which she inputted the know co-ordinates to the facilities depot where supplies used to be sent. The last group were shot down due to the energy signature new state authorised ships exhibited to make them legal to pilot. Made them easier to tag and track their owners but new weapons systems had recently found how to use that to their advantage. Good job this thing was a hunk of junk which would barely be legal even with the tag.

Khalida put the ship into auto-pilot and deployed it's signal jammers as it entered the moon's atmosphere. Now that it was out of the junkyard that was the No Man's Space she could relax until they got closer. They were having to go the long way just in case the floating space station had any automatic weapons still running with itchy fingers. 

She looked down at the keyboard on her wrist and started to type out 'ETA twenty minutes' which then appeared on the small screen outside of the cockpit. Legs now resting on the cockpit's front window as she laid back and took it all in. The ship's headlights guided the way a bit but even then it barely gave more than a shadow or quick glimpse at was a barren wasteland. She would describe it as a graveyard if it looked like anything had ever lived there. It felt like being in a cage as it descended of its own will to the very deepest point of the ocean with only the smallest radius of sight in front of her. Not that a barren wasteland was much comfort. She became almost mesmerised by it as it just went on and on with seemingly no single change as if the scenery was stuck on a continual loop. Her neck twitched a bit as she tried to look away but it kept revolving back just in case something occurred. It was unnatural such stillness... Such... Such... Finally she broke her gaze away as she heard her 'passengers' talking amongst themselves.

She thought about going out and mingling but such initiative was hardly becoming of an android. The two way intercom was already on, just in case anyone said anything untoward, so she just listened in and deduced. Just like the last mission and all the missions before that.

Dane

Dane glanced up when the ETA flashed up on the screen and swore under his breath. His handheld was already flashing its red battery light and he was definitely not going to have enough juice to last twenty minutes.

Flattening his lips, he stretched his legs out and leaned back, feeling his spine crack in relief. He glanced around at his companions. All stiff-upper-lip and hard eyes. Especially that gorilla over there. He looked like someone who was good to have at your back in a fight…but wouldn’t know a joke if it danced naked in front of him. And women mercenaries were always a bunch of--- Well. They just never relaxed.

Dane mentally shrugged. He somehow felt like the company was a bit off. Simply…different from his run-of-mill mercenary buddies. He just couldn’t put his finger on why. Didn’t matter either way, but Dane was beginning to regret taking this job. As usual, he’d simply taken a look at the pay and signed on. Your money obsession is gonna get you killed, his kid brother had told him. It was a bit ominous that those words rang in his ears right now. He hadn’t even cared where they were headed and hadn’t paid too much attention to the mission particulars until now. If he had good people behind him, it didn’t matter. But he didn’t know any of this company, by sight or reputation, and the suspicious feeling he had in his gut didn’t make him want to trust any of them. Or maybe that was just his stomach rumbling.

Dane rubbed his nose with the back of his hand and glanced around at his fellows. He decided to shrug off his regrets and suspicions. It was too late now. In any case, he’d been in some pretty bad situations and survived, so this ought to be a piece of cake. Mm, cake. Closing down his handheld, he sat up straighter. Now that they were so close, people were starting to look more alert. He could initiate conversation if he wanted to. But he wasn’t sure if he did. He eyed the Gorilla’s muscles a bit jealously. What did the guy eat to get that muscular? And speaking of eating…He leaned forward and pitched his voice so that he could be heard from the cockpit if need be.

“Yo, is there any food on this piece of junk ship? I ran out of protein bars a few light years back and I’m starving.” 

Edited by Paperbagfaze

R.J. 

R.J. leaned back in her seat, eyes staring blankly forward at a navigational readout while the ausssie's voice drolled on in the background. The engines, deafening at takeoff, had drifted into background noise along with the various dings and dents and quiet depressurization in the giant hunk of metal. Her cabin mates, too, we're quiet. Had been since they had left the command center. With the exception of the ever-chatty Dane, none seemed the type for casual conversations and in reality R.J. didn't care. The only noise in the room to her was the soft metallic noises of Ben's dog-tags rubbing together in her left hand, that and voices from a thousand miles away and four months back.

"Come with me." Damian Rexford said, his breath warm in her ear. 

If R.J. had been startled, she didn't show it. Instead she waved the older man away and politely turned back to the conversation with some wealthy benefactors who we're considering donating to her lab. The annual Lanos-Exec gala attracted a myriad of personalities. Elite's from all fields we're in attendance. Scientists, engineers, but most important to the company we're those such as whom R.J. was speaking with. Wealthy families who we're that way for no identifiable reason, desperately seeking a place to siphon off some of their funds in the name of philanthropy. R.J. talked of her work a moment longer, of some of the hospitals the company was funding poverty stricken nations, of advances in Malaria prevention and other such things. The things she had been passionate about once, before her interactions with Lanos had become more forced. In this role, R.J. slipped on a mask. An idealized version of herself where her contributions, and through that Lanos's, undoubtedly bettered the planet and many others. For a moment, the murkiness and complexity of her work was set aside and she almost enjoyed the conversation, even if she was not quite at ease in the crowded ballroom. 

Damian hovered near a far door, idly making conversation with merrymakers between staring at her. R.J. knew Damian was not a patient man, but neither would he want to make a scene and besides, he knew she would come. What choice did she have? His statement, after all, was not a request but a demand even as it was softly spoken while cool fingers brushed her shoulder.  

Politely, R.J. excused herself from the conversation and walked towards Damian. "Can I help you, Mr. Rexford?" Her stance was open, a razor smile on her lips. Her voice, though, was cool. 

"You look lovely tonight R.J.," The man said, deftly taking two flukes of champagne from a passing waiters tray. "You should dress up more often," He handed her one of the flukes and, reluctantly, R.J. took it. "suits you better than scrubs and lab coats, I should think." 

R.J. shook her head, "Marcus asked me personally if I could be here to talk about my work, otherwise I think I'd prefer the scrubs." She took a sip of champagne, but no more than a sip, "What do you want Damian?" 

The man smiled, dark blue eyes deep and calculating. "Just a moment of your time R.J., I've got a.... proposition.... of sorts for you." 

R.J. frowned, "I'm not sure what I think about that.... I've got a lot on my plate right now, Damian."

Damian shook his head, smiled again, "Well, just the same, I've got something to show you...." He reached for her arm, as if to escort her, but R.J. pulled away. Damian shrugged and moved ahead. "You really shouldn't be so stubborn R.J..... I really think you'll find my offer quite.... quite compelling." 

A small bump in the cabin jolted R.J. to awareness. Across the aisle from her, Dane spoke. “Yo, is there any food on this piece of junk ship? I ran out of protein bars a few light years back and I’m starving.” 

R.J. rolled her eyes, "Standard rations. All in cargo though, I think." In truth, R.J. did have a couple protein bars as part of her first aide kit but she'd rather not open that up just to satisfy Dane's craving. "It's not that much further." 

5819f6727c33dd0ec6af5e8df9903a60.jpg

Name: Joseph Williams
Personality: He is a loving person, who cares a lot about others, however sometimes his paranoia can get the best of him and cause him to do the wrong thing. From his childhood, he had a firm belief "you can never trust anyone". It often causes him trouble with 'working with the team'. He only trusts, slightly, if you prove yourself truly worthy of it.
History: Joseph has an estranged mother and father, who abandoned him and his sister when he was 14 and she was 10. He began doing many odd jobs and petty theft to make sure they could survive the ails. He and his sister were very close, but naturally as street kids something bad was bound to happen. At 17, an evening after doing many odd jobs, he came back to find his sister dead. He could see what has happened...she was raped and then killed...but he did not take it to the police. He took her to the tree they had known in their childhood and buried her there himself. After this he reclused from people, not wanting to know them, and began to educate himself through reading. He chose to go to pre-med school for a while, but ended up not finishing. Nonetheless, he gained knowledge of health that will be helpful to his career.

As he grew older, his seclusion became lesser and he reappeared in society. Not having much, he signed up to be a mercenary because it was that or starve at this point. And he knew what gnawing hunger felt like, and did NOT want to feel this again. He ended up on the mission, slowly learning to trust some of his crew. There are a few he'd do anything to protect, but others he may let fall of the ledge.

Equipment:

Weapons: a dagger and a rifle

Support: Radio and first aid kid

He is better with the gun than the dagger XD

Cybernetics: None

---

Skills:
Medical Knowledge 9/10 (diagnose and healing)
Computers 0/10 (Hacking)
Scientific Knowledge 6/10 (Will be given more info in certain situations to solve puzzles/backstory)
Combat 7/10 (Mostly against NPCs but may come into play between ya'll)
Repairs 4/10 (Electronic and manual)
Strength 4/5 (obvs)
Intuition and Perception 2/5 (Will get more hints as to options available and get more info on what's in the environment)
Endurance 3/5 (How likely you are of getting hurt)

Joseph

Joseph awoke slowly, and jolted up immediately. His first instincts was to see everyone else. He saw a few people already up and moving about. He began to search for his items, which he found close to him. He didn't trust people not to steal from him. Once he regathered his items, he threw his vest on and stood up. He saw Khalida, and watched her for a while. The gadgets people come up with now are crazy... He thought to himself, casually moving forward a bit. He soon saw R.J. and Dane standing about, and chose to walk up to them.

He wasn't one for chit-chat, but he briefly heard a request for food coming from Dane. He looked in his kit, that had a small portion of food left. He pulled out one of the bars and tossed it to Dane. "You owe me some food in desperation later, kid." He had a tendency to call everyone kid. He didn't care to know their real names at the time. He looked to R.J. "You need somethin'?" He tended to sound like someone took him right off the street, but for the most part, he was a street type and always would be. But who said things cannot change in time?

LeoFitz.jpg

Name: Erik Simmelink
Personality: Erik is, in the most simple terms, a socially awkward bookworm. He has no social tact, no filter, and has a very weak grasp on human interaction. Humor is often lost on Erik, as he takes everything literally, and tries to analyze every situation as if he was in a lab. It's not that he doesn't care about people...he just doesn't know how to care. Despite his social shortcomings, Erik is extremely valuable when it comes to needing someone with a vast amount of knowledge. What he lacks in physical strength, he more than makes up for in mental strength. He's a problem solver, and gets easily excited over problems most people find irritating.

History: When Erik was a young child, his single mother wondered if her son had some sort of mental handicap. He was a late bloomer, not uttering a single word until he was nearly 5 years old. In his grade school days, she worried about him because he never seemed to make friends. The other students thought he was "weird" and some of his teachers agreed. He didn't keep up in school, and would often stare into space during lessons. Something wasn't quite right about the boy. 

Deciding that she didn't want her son to grow up alone and depressed, Erik's mother took him to a child psychologist who told her the opposite of what she expected. Erik was not handicapped, he was gifted. The boy showed a level of understanding that his doctor hadn't seen in most adults. Per the doctor's suggestion, they performed further testing and decided to enroll Erick in a higher grade than other children his age. That's where Erik found his niche. He thrived in a learning environment, absorbing every detail like a sponge. 

Fast forward a few years, and Erik is 27 and working on his 3rd PHD. He attempted to find jobs between degrees, but could only hold on to one for a brief amount of time because of his anti-social, less than human tendencies. Some view him as cold and uncaring, but really, it's all just science. 

Needing a source of income, Erik reached out, and found that he worked best in short term odd jobs. He's become a "scientist for hire" and was selected for this mission solely based on his analytic skills. 

Equipment: Atmospheric scanners, pen and notebook, a small laptop for organizing his notes

Cybernetics: None (but he does love to study those who have them)

---

Skills: 

Medical Knowledge 7/10
Computers 6/10
Scientific Knowledge 10/10
Combat 0/10
Repairs 8/10
Strength 1/5 
Intuition and Perception 2/5
Charm 0/3
Endurance 1/5

bryce_dallas_howard.jpg

Name: Lane (Lanie) Wilcox

Personality: All of her energy and resources are put toward science and knowledge. She doesn't mean to ignore other basic things (like personal relationships, manners, privacy, relaxation) she is just consumed by her projects and stuck in her own world. Despite being abrupt she integrates fairly well into society and can work well with others as long as they are working toward a common goal. She looks and seems younger than her age but is by no means niaeve. Since she was young she studied how the world works; evolutionary theorys, the plant and animal kingdoms, the birds and the bees. She doesn't believe in a moral 'good and evil' or 'right and wrong' but rather lives by the laws of nature, science and her instincts.

History: She is the oldest child an avarage family; Dad, Mom, younger siblings. As soon as she could walk she was toddering around confidently doing things her own way and trying to figure out everything she could get her hands on. As a toddler this often ment sticking a multaitude of objects in her mouth. Elementry School came eaisy for her as did learning, though she often exasperatied her teachers when she would try doing things a new way instead of following instructions and she had no friends. Still, she was at ease with herself. Her parents wanted to get into private middle and high school but with funds short she was sent to public school where still, her education thrived. She graduated highschool eairly was accepted into a prestegies acadamy on scolorship. There she built her own new and improved version of D.W.A.R.Fs (Drones Wirelessly Automated to Retreive Forensic data) which she recieved several awards for. After the acadamy she was scooped up by the leading cybernetics company which allowed her to test and better her Drones. During that time she applied to occupy the scientific colony Tartarus, one of her life ling dreams. A few years later she was recrutied for a mission on Tartarus when the moon went dark. She is to operate the D.W.A.R.F.s on the mission.

Equipment: A taser, gun, raido, first aid kit, flashlight, water tin.

Cybernetics: D.W.A.R.Fs
---
Skills:

Medical Knowledge 7/10 (diagnose and healing)
Computers 6/10 (Hacking)
Scientific Knowledge 10/10 (Will be given more info in certain situations to solve puzzles/backstory)
Combat 1/10 (Mostly against NPCs but may come into play between ya'll)
Repairs 5/10 (Electronic and manual)
Strength 0/5 (obvs)
Intuition and Perception 5/5 (Will get more hints as to options available and get more info on what's in the environment)
Endurance 1/5 (How likely you are of getting hurt)

Erik

Erik was bored. Completely bored. The most interesting thing to look at in this hunk of metal so far were the people, and they simply weren't that interesting. Humans, he knew about. It was this planet they were on their way to that he was interested in. Something new, possibly something undiscovered. 

A 20 minute ETA flashed on the screen, and Erik couldn't deny the drop in his stomach. He was...excited? Yes, this was excitement. He just hoped the muscle heads wouldn't destroy everything in their path before he had a chance to look at it. Or at least collect a sample. 

“Yo, is there any food on this piece of junk ship? I ran out of protein bars a few light years back and I’m starving.” 

He couldn't listen to this blathering any longer.

Erik looked up at the group and said matter-of-factly,  "Actually, given the speed we're going, and given that a single light year is approximately 5.8 trillion miles, if you ran out of food a 'few' light years ago, you would most likely be nothing but dust."

He stared at them for a brief moment, then went back to looking at the floor with a grin on his face. He always felt better when he could teach someone something.

Dane

Dane glanced over at the red head across the aisle to catch the tail end of what was doubtlessly an eye-roll. He’d seen her when they’d boarded, all stiff and introspective. Man, women mercenaries were the worst. Were they born with sticks up their butts?

"Standard rations.” She said, boredom apparent in her voice, “All in cargo though, I think. It's not that much further." Dane scowled at her. He knew it wasn’t that much farther. There was a big old set of numbers flashing the ETA! He opened his mouth to make a snarky remark when a movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention.

That one guy. What was his name? Jonathan? Jim? Whatever his name was, Dane blinked when he threw a protein bar his way. Any words of gratitude instantly dried up when the guy said, "You owe me some food in desperation later, kid." Dane stared at him. Kid? KID? His brain spluttered in outrage for a moment over the word. He was almost ten years older than this pretty boy! The guy might obviously be from the streets, but that ought to have just taught him to respect people who were bigger and meaner than him! Dane stuck his finger into the guy’s chest, despite what’s-his-name’s diverted attention.

“Call me kid again and I’ll mess up your pretty boy face so bad your own mother won’t recognize you when you get back to your home planet.” He snapped. Before he could issue all the threats that were scrambling to be heard, another voice broke in.

"Actually, given the speed we're going, and given that a single light year is approximately 5.8 trillion miles, if you ran out of food a 'few' light years ago, you would most likely be nothing but dust."

Oh no. Nonononononono. He gaped in horror at the nerd who spoke. He couldn’t believe it. Now he KNEW he’d made a mistake signing up for this mission. It was some sort of nerd fest and nobody had had the decency to tell him. He mentally groaned. Sciency crap. People whose brains practically leaked out of their eyeballs and ears. He’d had enough of that from listening to his brother ramble on and on about his stupid academics.

He could've gone on that one mission in Sector A0-5 with people he actually knew, but noooo, he'd taken the larger paycheck of course. He could just hear his little brother now, 'Ha! Serves you right.'

His stomach grumbled.

“It’s called ‘exaggeration’, nerd boy. Look it up.” He finally snarled. Then he looked at the street rat and his scowl deepened. He slapped the protein bar back into the guy’s chest before turning away and muttering under his breath.

“Nerds…stupid mission…KID?!…knew it was a bad idea…stupid, stupid…what mercenaries?!…sciency crap…”

OT: Just to say i've re-done some of Khalida's stats to make her more combat orientated seeing people are going down the sciencey routes.

Khalida

She merely watched with a wry smile as one by one people started ganging up on the boy band hair cut on legs. She was tempted, she would admit, to go in there and fight his corner, heck at least one person here didn't look like they were attending a funeral, but as 'tour guide' for this little party she could hardly be seen as taking sides. But that was okay, she had seen this lot before in different people, the meatbag, the matriach, the science kid who reduced others to equations, the heart throb who was dressed more for teen award show than a mission of untold danger... She would just handle them the same as last time and the time before that. Sure they had their own little quirks and pasts she had read up on, but at the end of day, none of that really comes through when money is on the line. They all boil down to the same tropes eventually.

Fighting the dull ache in her legs which came from keeping them up so long, she raised herself from the chair and made towards the door seperating the cockpit to the main body of the ship. Might as well calm things down before it gets worse. Show time girl, give them an eye full of teeth and let them know how loved and valued they are for clearly not having two brain cells to rub together to know whatever they have promised, it aint worth *this*. 

As she opened the door she hammered away on the keyboard on her wrist. It didn't take long, this was a speech she had pre-written and used on a number of excursions before. She stood tall and straight, giving no sign of bad posture habits most human pick up. Heck, she barely gave away any signs of normal human frailties, just by how she entered the room she could give off that 'never made a mistake in its life' look that usually only comes through computer programming and fibres made from copper. 

She gave a quick bow to the group before her, "Forgive me kind sirs for the intrusion". The voice came from her wrist, mouth unmoving. She had to admit she hated the pre-programmed voice, sickly sincere like a girls doll to show nothing but the most complete admiration for her colleagues and every spot on their oh-so-perfect body. "I am model Zahria X43501, however most have delegated me as 'Jeeves' but I will respond to any delegation you desire. It is my honor to inform you that we will be leaving soon. As a safety precaution please can everyone collect their belongings in case we have to make an emergency exit. Tasks and sub-teams will be delegated once we land but I am sure it is nothing you fine citizens have not done before. Please be aware I am entirely at your service! I will take some basic supplies with me and anything you feel you can not carry. My master has given me my instructions but I am subject to your command!"

Another bright smile and bow. 

"Is any further clarification sought?"

Edited by slycooper