Sign in to follow this  
Arcano999

How do you react to the curses?

Unfortunately, in my life I swear I heard so many guys, is something unheard of and immoral, it is really terrible. No one realizes that wrong, you experience that you have had?

What a handsome question! And what would CTF be without the option to ask such questions, and have those questions answered. A question without an answer is just a statement, and we won't have that here. Fine question indeed.

I curse sometimes, but many people are ridiculous with their cursing.

Wait, I thought this thread was about curses. Like, spells and magic and whatnot.

Wait, I thought this thread was about curses. Like, spells and magic and whatnot.

I don't think so, I think he means like curse words. 

Well, I was on a totally different wavelength. :P

Ummm.... Cursing is fine with me, honestly. But I don't do it around those who will take offense.

Quickly. As the designated mage in my guild's 10-mans, it's my job to dispell.

As for profanity, I use it more than any of my friends, so...

Edited by Yves

I learned vulgar words in English and before I could speak it. My father had a machine shop behind our house. I would sit in the attic and listen to the men talk. I learned that women have good a-words, b-words, c-words, L-words, p-words and t-words. They categorize into b-words, c-words, d-words, f-words, L-words, and M-words. They are available to b, f, and s-words. Their L-words go up to their B-words. I learned that I am That Little Lolita and my mother is #$%&.

When Mom heard some of this treasure of English vocabulary, Dad put a lock on the machine shop's attic. 

I don't like it.  I feel like there are better ways to convey the same message without getting so vulgar. 

I learned vulgar words in English and before I could speak it. My father had a machine shop behind our house. I would sit in the attic and listen to the men talk. I learned that women have good a-words, b-words, c-words, L-words, p-words and t-words. They categorize into b-words, c-words, d-words, f-words, L-words, and M-words. They are available to b, f, and s-words. Their L-words go up to their B-words. I learned that I am That Little Lolita and my mother is #$%&.

When Mom heard some of this treasure of English vocabulary, Dad put a lock on the machine shop's attic.

This post makes me uncomfortable.

I lived with a couple of good friends during my undergrad. One was very very involved in our Catholic campus ministry, had been home schooled up to 9th grade and reacted viscerally when anyone cussed in even the lightest way. That first year we lived together I had a friend over who I had been in the dorm with my freshman year. This friend dropped a couple of f-bombs over the course of dinner and my first friend (the uber catholic) just turned cold. Quit talking to her. Wouldn't respond to anything my dorm-mate said even when she was asking her a question and trying to be friendly. 

I was ticked. 

I love my uber-catholic friend to death but she made my friend feel uncomfortable and unwanted and that, to me, was unacceptable. Especially on the case of a few f-bombs. I vowed at that point to never be overly bothered by cursing. I also took up the sport (I had never really cussed previous) with the habit waxing and waning since depending on the company I kept. Haha. Never took God's name in vain though. Just my personal weird bent. 

Lately, I'm trying to cut back and have been pretty successful. There's a few words you'll just never get me to care about (like the s-word) but I recognize that it can be unprofessional and unflattering. I someone were to start cussing around me in a situation where it wasn't appropriate (school, church, old folks home) then I'd probably nicely or not-so-nicely tell them to quit. But when I'm out with friends? Nah. Let em do their own thing and watch my own mouth so that I don't get influenced beyond what I want to be. People tend to muzzle themselves a bit when they learn I'm a pretty "serious" (whatever that means) Catholic/Christian anyway so it hasn't been much of an issue. 

This post makes me uncomfortable.

Yeah, me too, but I should not be because I know that we all speak and act differently depending on where we are and what we are doing.

And as extreme as the male vocabulary seems to me, I know that in other cultures male speak is even more extreme. For example, Japanese is more than one language. I don´t speak Japanese, but I can tell if the speaker is speaking Japanese. If I hear the men say boku wa instead of watakshi wa, then I know they are speaking the male dialect, and I am lucky that I cannot understand it.

:)

Look I mean blasphemies. Insults against God, this meant.

In my great grandmother's church, any vulgar language is taken to be a violation of the commandment, "take not the Lord's name in vain." 

When I learned to be a Nice Catholic Girl, I learned about three kinds of lying: false intent, purgery, and fraud, which I suppose could be called blasphemy. 

"Take not the Lord's name in vain" was said to me a prohibition of false intent, promising to do something, and then not doing it.

The Ten commandments were said to include prohibitions of perjury, no bearing false witness, and fraud, no false images. 

:)

Edited by Ghid