Sign in to follow this  
Arcano999

How do you react when a disbeliever says that life is better without God?

Haha, I get that. So basically, for you it's not about them having that view, it's just if they're being a jerk? That makes sense, I thought you meant that you wanted to put them in the trunk of a car headed off a cliff just for them being an atheist cx (given your temper I think that would be an accurate portrayal of what would be going through your mind xp)

EXACTLY! Like I live by the phrase "respect me, I respect you. Don't respect me, there is a six foot deep hole calling your name" XD

And that perfectly defines my temper! you just get me XD

EXACTLY! Like I live by the phrase "respect me, I respect you. Don't respect me, there is a six foot deep hole calling your name" XD

And that perfectly defines my temper! you just get me XD

Is it truly so hard for people to tolerate someone saying this? We live in a world filled with jokes and digs at our God, Himself; how can you not learn to keep your cool in small situations like this? I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but I honestly don't get why that would dredge up all this negative emotion or make the person seem evil. Wouldn't he or she be equally entitled to be angry if we said "Life is so much better with God :D"? Of course the person currently perceives things are better without our Deity, if they didn't they'd be among us. One of Jesus' own apostles was murdering Christians before he met God, and we regard Him as a great man. Yet an everyday atheist is so intolerable for basically not being a believer at the time you talk?

I simply fail to understand this. It seems so work-a-day to me, why would someone thinking or saying that upset you? Even if they were some "selfish and evil monster who just wants whatever's pleasurable (mwahaha)", then why feel angry instead of sad?

Can someone please explain this?

You are too good, paradoxically, is very bad.

I honestly don't get why that would dredge up all this negative emotion

The psychology is pretty simple, dude. Black has something sacred and comforting to him that brings him happiness. Then White attacks that something, which threatens Black's happiness. Anger is a natural defensive response.

As a comparable example, imagine that Black insults White's wife. It would require fairly extreme confidence and poise for White to avoid anger.

Edited by Yves

Guest Mike Spero

The psychology is pretty simple, dude. Black has something sacred and comforting to him that brings him happiness. Then White attacks that something, which threatens Black's happiness. Anger is a natural defensive response.

As a comparable example, imagine that Black insults White's wife. It would require fairly extreme confidence and poise for White to avoid anger.

I understand if it was an attack, though I still don't believe it would justify militancy. I was asking why someone simply implying that their life seemed better since they left the faith would invoke anger. Not "Screw your "God", life is so much better without an imaginary friend" but instead "Honestly, since I left the faith I've felt much happier and more fulfilled".

Technically, there is no such thing as life without God. "In Him we live and move and have our being."

#ObnoxiouslyIgnoringTheActualPoint

I understand if it was an attack, though I still don't believe it would justify militancy. I was asking why someone simply implying that their life seemed better since they left the faith would invoke anger. Not "Screw your "God", life is so much better without an imaginary friend" but instead "Honestly, since I left the faith I've felt much happier and more fulfilled".

Because the implicature is "Your God is an imaginary friend who makes life worse."

Edited by Yves

Guest Mike Spero

Because the implicature is "Your God is an imaginary friend who makes life worse."

But that defines the outlook of all atheists and agnostics. One can still be kind and have respect for religious belief without being aggro. I had an agnostic friend who would thank me for my prayers if he was going through a rough time, even though He didn't believe in God. He was kind and accepting despite clearly feeling that his life was best the way it is, and we'd often have friendly chats about religion. We can assume that many non-Believers do not have God simply because they've yet to see His true character. The world sure paints Him as some power-mad tyrant, of which no sane person would love. And many non-Believers feel their lives are "better" because they can indulge in carnal pleasures, not involving His presence at all.

It's like if you were married, and while you were talking with a single person they expressed that life was so much more fun when they had no commitment. Did that person just slap your wife in the face and call her a *****, or did they just imply that they didn't wish to have love in their life? Again, if anything I'd feel sorry that they were unknowingly making such poor choices

Psalm 14:1:

The fool says in his heart,

"There is no God"

They are corrupt, they're deeds are vile;

There is no one who does good

But that defines the outlook of all atheists and agnostics. One can still be kind and have respect for religious belief without being aggro.

I'm not defining atheist belief. I'm defining the manners of someone who aggressively insists that "life in general" is better without God to a known believer who evidently didn't ask for or put himself in a position to receive this opinion.

Context, sir.