Sign in to follow this  
Arcano999

How do you react when a disbeliever says that life is better without God?

I'd just state that that hadn't been my experience, smile, and leave it at that. Arguing won't help but maybe if the joy of Christ radiates from me they might see it too. :)

I have a sharp temper so no one take my advice here....

I would go on a LONG tangent of how I would be DEAD if I didn't know God, because my life would be empty and purposeless, and maybe fly a few comments that I should leave in my head that aren't too nice to post on this board.

XD

I would say my life is better since my deconversion. I was as Christian and now I no longer am.

I still sort of believe in God, depending on the day, and it's hard for me to not think of God in a Deist sense if God does exist.

Even so, I'd say my life is better now.

I dont get how it's "degrading" if it's their choice. Instead of saying such things,maybe christians should start showing the love that Christ showed.

It's an absurd claim, we can only make such a statement about ourselves, and not "life" in general.

I dont get how it's "degrading" if it's their choice. Instead of saying such things,maybe christians should start showing the love that Christ showed.

Well for one, many do not say it in the graceful way Gabriel mentioned.

I just saw it on TV last night, some girl saying WHAT DID YOUR GOD DO IT etc. in a spiteful way.

I am not at all saying EVERY CHRISTIAN IS PERFECTLY WONDERFUL because some Christians have really turned me off. But at the same time, I think we need to stop acting like both are perfect. My temper is a flaw, hence I told people DON'T TAKE MY ADVICE because I know it isn't okay. I pray to God about my temper issue A LOT. I know Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek and bear our cross, but sometimes it is hard to do when you believe something so firmly and someone spits on you for it.

Let's say you LOVE Katy Perry. Like a lot, think she is the closest thing to heaven. And suddenly I say all these horrible spiteful things about Katy Perry to you on a personal level to attack you. Maybe you wouldn't respond harshly, but can you say it would NOT hurt your feelings even a LITTLE BIT? to have someone attack you personally, and not only that but something you so STRONGLY believe in? my point here...

I would say my life is better since my deconversion. I was as Christian and now I no longer am.

I still sort of believe in God, depending on the day, and it's hard for me to not think of God in a Deist sense if God does exist.

Even so, I'd say my life is better now.

The fact is that this question was addressed to believers.!

Guest Mike Spero

Say something like: "Really? Why do you feel that way?"

Then if the person wants to, continue with a kind conversation regarding why him/her has negative feelings towards God and me sharing my thoughts and feelings towards the subjects and experiences brought up. And like any other conversation, it would fizzle out on it's own and turn to a new topic or us parting ways for the time being. I wouldn't want to try and change the person or look down at them for the beliefs (unless they were outright stupid, then I'd look down but still be outwardly nice xp), and would talk simply for the purposes of letting them get things out that they might not be able to share with most believers and to get the opinion of one who would be kind and non-judgmental.

I mean, what

Edited by Mike Spero

The fact is that this question was addressed to believers.!

Well then, this provides a great moment for people to react to the people you have described.

It's an absurd claim, we can only make such a statement about ourselves, and not "life" in general.

Things are better when I'm not bathed in oil and set on fire, but I don't know how things are for Lucy. I can only talk about my own life.

I dunno. I feel like there's a fact of the matter as to whether God would be a positive element in X life, regardless of X's thoughts on the matter.

I see no need to debate with them whether or not our lives are comparatively better, but can only tell him that following God isn't about how much "better" our lives are, but that we've found Christ, and that we've put our hope in something beyond this universe. 

I wouldn't care.

Generally speaking the time I allot for atheists starts at "very little" and gradually declines. Go bathe in your amoral hedonism for all I care.

I wouldn't care.

Generally speaking the time I allot for atheists starts at "very little" and gradually declines. Go bathe in your amoral hedonism for all I care.

maxresdefault.jpg

I see no need to debate with them whether or not our lives are comparatively better, but can only tell him that following God isn't about how much "better" our lives are, but that we've found Christ, and that we've put our hope in something beyond this universe. 

You know I have to say I love this answer. It is so true.

So many expect a belief in God to create perfection, and such. Only true happiness can be found IN God. I wouuld write more but this will swiftly become a tl:dr post from me. XD

For the most part, I don't. The best thing to do in that situation is to maintain your emotions, and diffuse yourself from the situation. The less opportunity we have to ruin our testimony, the better.

I wouldn't care.

maxresdefault.jpg

Exactly what came to mind.

Guest Mike Spero
Is it truly so hard for people to tolerate someone saying this? We live in a world filled with jokes and digs at our God, Himself; how can you not learn to keep your cool in small situations like this? I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but I honestly don't get why that would dredge up all this negative emotion or make the person seem evil. Wouldn't he or she be equally entitled to be angry if we said "Life is so much better with God :D"? Of course the person currently perceives things are better without our Deity, if they didn't they'd be among us. One of Jesus' own apostles was murdering Christians before he met God, and we regard Him as a great man. Yet an everyday atheist is so intolerable for basically not being a believer at the time you talk?

I simply fail to understand this. It seems so work-a-day to me, why would someone thinking or saying that upset you? Even if they were some "selfish and evil monster who just wants whatever's pleasurable (mwahaha)", then why feel angry instead of sad?

Can someone please explain this?

Is it truly so hard for people to tolerate someone saying this? We live in a world filled with jokes and digs at our God, Himself; how can you not learn to keep your cool in small situations like this? I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but I honestly don't get why that would dredge up all this negative emotion or make the person seem evil. Wouldn't he or she be equally entitled to be angry if we said "Life is so much better with God :D"? Of course the person currently perceives things are better without our Deity, if they didn't they'd be among us. One of Jesus' own apostles was murdering Christians before he met God, and we regard Him as a great man. Yet an everyday atheist is so intolerable for basically not being a believer at the time you talk?

I simply fail to understand this. It seems so work-a-day to me, why would someone thinking or saying that upset you? Even if they were some "selfish and evil monster who just wants whatever's pleasurable (mwahaha)", then why feel angry instead of sad?

I already stated NO ONE TAKE MY HOT HEADED ADVICE BECAUSE IT IS POOR AND WE TRULY SHOULD NOT RESPOND LIKE I WOULD XD

Guest Mike Spero

I already stated NO ONE TAKE MY HOT HEADED ADVICE BECAUSE IT IS POOR AND WE TRULY SHOULD NOT RESPOND LIKE I WOULD XD

I know, and I saw that cx But why would someone saying that upset you and make you hot-headed in the first place? :o

I know, and I saw that cx But why would someone saying that upset you and make you hot-headed in the first place? :o

Well it depends the TONE of their voice.

If they said it in this mild tone, I would not take it poorly.

Now if they said it in some personal attack tone Imma slap you XD

Guest Mike Spero

Well it depends the TONE of their voice.

If they said it in this mild tone, I would not take it poorly.

Now if they said it in some personal attack tone Imma slap you XD

Haha, I get that. So basically, for you it's not about them having that view, it's just if they're being a jerk? That makes sense, I thought you meant that you wanted to put them in the trunk of a car headed off a cliff just for them being an atheist cx (given your temper I think that would be an accurate portrayal of what would be going through your mind xp)