brando

question: praying in the shower and symbolism

Hello, I am a Christian and spirituality scholar from Newfoundland, Canada. Most every day, when I have my shower and I am clean and collected, I pray for what I am thankful for. Looking through the forums, I have found that there are many people who share the practice like I do. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in telling me more about your prayer customs and what it means to communicate yourself with the spiritual. When and where do you like to pray? I am very eager to hear everyone's personal narratives.

thank you so much!

Guest Mike Spero

I generally don't have a common prayer habit, so I don't know if you want my piece.

When it comes to meals, I say a quick "thank You for the food" before I eat, but I don't generally "pray"; it's basically just saying "thank you". I believe strongly in having a genuine relationship with God, so I don't do things out of tradition or because "this makes you a good Christian!" That being said, I find it hard to genuinely thank God for food when I was lucky enough to be born in a well-off country in which I'd be fed at a soup kitchen if I didn't have a penny, so I don't say long or drug out prayers before eating. Still, I recognize that it keeps me alive and am thankful for what I have, so I still give thanks

I pray before I go to bed, but only what's on my heart. If I feel lost or lacking guidance, I simply ask God to lead me. If I'm dealing with a pressing matter, I ask for help. Etcetera. I don't think anyone can have a real conversation with a figure they've never once met or heard speak to them: sure you can take a guess at what He's like or would say, but all we know is His love and perfection as shown on the cross. I'm legitimately more than happy if some people can feel a tactile, verbal relationship between themselves and God, but I feel as though I can't. Because of this, the way I pray is different

It's hard to have real conversations when you never hear a reply; and if I did a twenty minute prayer thing every night I'd just be fooling myself. I respect God and I know He knows that I greatly want a relationship with Him, but cannot honestly have one through praying at Him. I use prayer more as a means to say "I know You already know this, but I love You. I want you to guide my life and lead me where I should go, and to please be with me. You're bigger than I am, and I need Your aid. I can't hear Your voice, so please be by my side until I can".

I never pray in the shower, and besides my nightly prayers I really don't pray at any other times through the day. Like all things, of course, I do pray if I'm going through some pain or ordeal; even though I know things likely won't magically get better, it's mostly just a request that God keeps me strong through it. I find God to be on my mind a great portion of my days, it's almost hard to stop thinking about Him; if that counts as part of your request. I find myself pacing around for up to a half hour thinking solely about Him: why some things are the way they are, how awesome He is, who He is, etc. I find my connection with Him in dwelling on the cross, looking out at the beauty of Creation beneath mankind's ruinings, and in my own self-sacrifice. However, I truly don't find any connection through prayer; if anything it's just a reminder of how desperately I need Him.

I enjoy being genuine because I don't just feel it's right and honors God, but I feel like it shows me areas where I'm lacking. I've been thinking often about how I wish I could feel closer to Him, and praying earnestly is a reminder of that. The more I pray honestly, the more I feel reminded of what it is I need to strive towards

Edited by Mike Spero

My habits concerning prayer are pretty loose, I like to pray at least once in the morning, and at night, but usually I find myself praying through out the day. 

I pray when i wake and when i am about to sleep. But within these times i pray too with no particular scheduled time

Thank you everyone so much for sharing your thoughts! Because prayer is such a personal idea I've wondered how people practice it outside of my self. Very glad to hear how you all connect with God. Many thanks again!

Follow up: 

What does prayer mean to you, and how would you describe it to someone who was unfamiliar? 

:) Talk soon!

Prayer to me is pretty much just talking to God, like you would a friend, simply enjoying his presence, and sharing your heart with God. 

Well, to me it is actually like talking to a best friend, sharing every secrets with Him and as Noel said sharing your heart with Him and knowing that he hears you.