Sign in to follow this  
Nomly

Book Text Survey, (I NEED YOU)

Book Writing Presets?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What size of the text should I make it, (Words)

• Size 10
    • Size 16
    • Size 20
    • Size 30+
  2. 2. What goal of page count should be set?

• Below 150
    • 300 - 400
    • 400+
  3. 3. How many chapters should there be?

• 20 - 30
    • 30+

Depends on the book!

Some stories should be short, some should be long and there's never a "right" or "wrong" page number or chapter length. One of my favorite authors, the best seller James Patterson has many books that are 350-500 pages long and have one or two page long chapters. XD

With page count, you have to bear in mind that the pages in a Word document and the pages in a book do not amount for the same amount of pages. Books are smaller than laptop screens (well, most of them) and the pages are printed front and back. Word docs are not double printed and the pages onscreen are  larger than most screens. I would opt for word count rather than amount of chapters or pages. My current novel is 150 Word pages long and is 44,190 words as of this morning. In my opinion,a good word count goal for someone starting out would be around 50K words, if it's to be a longer book.

good luck.

Also, you can NEVER go wrong with 12 point font. Ever.

Edited by Boogles

According the Ms P, an unpublished author should prepare manuscripts that are two hundred fifty words on a double spaced page. Book manuscripts should be short in the low hundreds of pages.  A novel by an unpublished author should have as few characters as possible. For example,one of James Michener's first books, The Bridges at Toko-RI, has about one hundred pages (if I remember right). Some of his later books are much longer like maybe a thousand pages.  

:)

The Tale of Despereaux is a wonderful piece of fantasy. It is also a children's book less than 70,000 words long. Imagine if Kate DiCamillo tried to market this book as an epic fantasy for adults. The editor reading the manuscript--in the absurd case that he actually read it--would throw it out on size alone. It's not a fifth as long as epic fantasy needs to be.

But of course she didn't do that. She marketed her book for the children's audience, where editors and readers have different expectations altogether.

In that light, there's not much point to asking us how long we want your book to be. Instead, figure out what kind of story you want to tell. Find out where the readers for that kind of story are, and find the length of the books they actually read.

Edited by Yves

According the Ms P, an unpublished author should prepare manuscripts that are two hundred fifty words on a double spaced page. Book manuscripts should be short in the low hundreds of pages.  A novel by an unpublished author should have as few characters as possible. For example,one of James Michener's first books, The Bridges at Toko-RI, has about one hundred pages (if I remember right). Some of his later books are much longer like maybe a thousand pages.  

Thanks for the feedback that helps a bunch,

I'll keep that in mind, otherwise I will just wait for more good support. ;)

never worry amount amount, but worry about making it interesting and defining, the more you put your heart in to it, the more pages you may get. 

never worry amount amount, but worry about making it interesting and defining, the more you put your heart in to it, the more pages you may get. 

Its the heart that makes it taste good.

(Thanks)