Sign in to follow this  
SavedByTheSon

How to overcome a stigma?

Recently, I've again fallen out of faith. Things are starting to settle back down and I'd really like to find myself again. Find God again. A big part of me not sticking with church is that I just don't feel comfortable there. Most of the members have been going for a while and I'm always the outsider. But the biggest issue is that I feel judged. I can see it in their eyes when they look at me. I know what they are thinking. It's the same thing a lot of people think when they see me. A young mom of two kids. Automatically, assumptions are made and I become a stigma. It doesn't matter that I'm married now. It doesn't matter that my husband and I work and support our kids. We are young and we had a bad start. It seems like that's all anyone ever sees. It makes it so hard to work up the courage to go, even when I'd like to. I feel like a coward, but that's the truth. And those who are nice to me talk to me like they feel sorry for me. Almost like I am a charity case or beneath them. Is it so wrong to want to just be seen as another person? A mother with two kids, not just some young girl who got knocked up? :/ Maybe I'm just over thinking it/over emotional right now. Who knows? I really would like some advice on how not to let this stuff get to me though. I tend to care too much about how people see me. I know I shouldn't, but it's a hard habit to break. Help?

I'm having a hard time following what you're asking here, would you be so kind as to clarify?  I know this was posted nearly a month ago and I apologize for the delay.  But if you're still dealing with this, please let me know!  I hope your faith has grown in the last month, though!